Informal poll about yranny solenoid

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK 2 shops have told me now that if my solenoid pack is bad, I would get check engine Light. I dont have a light. Oddly, none of the numerous posts here or elsewhere mentioned they had that with an acting up tranny. Lots mention changing the noid and solved. Appreciate all the info in my other post, but I would like an idea of who saw the light or not to maybe approach the PCM or noid first.

Thanks all

Edit:

Lol old man on cell at DMV thus mispell in title

I had to replace the solenoid assembly in my 04 (harsh, delayed, shift to reverse and so on). The check engine light did not come on and there were no stored transmission codes.
If one of more of the solenoid coils opens up or shorts out, you should get a light and a fairly specific code telling you about it. If instead, the coils are okay but the valves are sticking or clogged, then you likely won't get any light.

NO CEL....Never DID get my 04 tranny fixed.It is harsh into reverse and 3-4 shift. When I installed a set of solenoids,unknowingly I had damaged the connector and so I put the old one back in thinking the new one was bad.LOL! So I still have the same problem after having repaired the connector.
I guess I'll take the new solenoid and install it sometime. I'm almost afraid to touch that new connector though. don-ohio :)^)

No CEL for my failure and I ran it for over 20K miles with the bad solenoid pack. I even had the fluid flushed hoping it would solve the problem. It did for part of those 20Kish miles...

I don't recall if I had a CEL. Changing my solenoid didn't fix, repairing the PCM did. PCM repair is where I'd start due to the amount of work involved with a solenoid change.

OK 2 shops have told me now that if my solenoid pack is bad, I would get check engine Light. I dont have a light. Oddly, none of the numerous posts here or elsewhere mentioned they had that with an acting up tranny. Lots mention changing the noid and solved. Appreciate all the info in my other post, but I would like an idea of who saw the light or not to maybe approach the PCM or noid first.

Thanks all

Edit:

Lol old man on cell at DMV thus mispell in title

Not sure what problem you're having but in my case I was getting no upshift past 3. I was getting a P0795 code and a transmission idiot light. I replaced the solenoid but before I buttoned it up I decided to check the little $5.00 spring in the valve body and sure enough it was broken into 3 pieces. Replaced that and buttoned it up and all was well again. I dont regret having put in a new (well, rebuilt) solenoid pak but I am sure the cause of my problem was the spring.

... I was getting no upshift past 3. I was getting a P0795 code and a transmission idiot light. I replaced the solenoid but before I buttoned it up I decided to check the little $5.00 spring in the valve body and sure enough it was broken into 3 pieces. ... but I am sure the cause of my problem was the spring.

Nope. It (the spring) was related, but P0795 indicates an electrical failure of one of the coils. Just replacing the spring would not have fixed it (the code or the upshift problem).

my solenoid pack was bad 2 years ago. got it replaced and all was good for about 4 months and it went again. I just bought a new transmission to stop all of the problems unfortunately

Nope. It (the spring) was related, but P0795 indicates an electrical failure of one of the coils. Just replacing the spring would not have fixed it (the code or the upshift problem).

Good to know, thanks. Glad I replaced the spring. Wouldn't have wanted to go back in for that.

Members online

Back