In need of some direction on a tuner for my project build

Lincoln Mark VIII Performance

1. jruppert

jruppert Active LVC Member

I am building an AC Cobra and I am using a 4.6 from a 97 Mark VIII. I managed to get the engine, the harness at engine and through firewall and the computer. Since this has PATS, I will need to disable. I would like to get a tuner and not sure which direction I should go. The only experience I have with a tuner is with a Tweecer RT that I used extensively in a Mustang 351w that I had for around 10-12 years. I have heard good things about SCT but I am completely lost as to how I should approach things.

If I buy an SCT, are they all the same? If I buy one that is advertised with a Mustang, will this work? I have also heard of BAMA tunes but I am clearly not understanding the point of free tunes for life. If I purchase a tuner from them, aren't I able to make changes to my tune? So where do the free tunes come from?

I could go with a tweecer again. My reason for shying away is that I would like to be able to take this to a tuner at some point to get a good dyno tune.

Also, if I go with an SCT, am I able to change mass air meters? I do not have the stock Mark VIII mass air. Should I acquire another stock unit or can I go with a Mustang one? I know with the tweecer, I could go in and tell it what meter I had and it would make its changes and then I could fine tune further if I wanted.

Thanks

2. Lux

Lux Dedicated LVC Member

I will have an sct xcal3 with tunes for 97 mark viii for sale if interested , tunes from torrie at fast parts network

3. jruppert

jruppert Active LVC Member

I might be interested. How many uses does it have left on it?

Now.. going back to my original post.. I don't understand why one would need someone to pay for a tune. I guess I just dont understand the concept of the SCT. With the tweecer, you can read the eec and modify it. Are you able to do this with an SCT? Would I be able to plug in an SCT, read the eec, and disable PATS, EGR, rear o2, change gear ratio, and timing? If so, then what else does a paid tune do?

Also, I do not have the factory mass air. I suppose I can purchase a used one. Would the cobra or GT setup be better? Can SCT make adjustments for the mass air? I know the tweecer can.

My end plan is to put on C heads and a 99+ Cobra intake. By doing this, would it take away from what you have done in your tune?

4. OU812IC

OU812IC Well-Known LVC Member

You will need the handheld of your choice, doesn't really matter until you go to data log. I have a X2 and X4. The X4 is more cooperative when tying in wideband data. You will also need a software license from SCT for another $350. At that point it will be similar to other software you have used. You can manipulate the MAF transfer function, TRANS shifting etcetera. Gear ratio seems to be a dead spot in the software. It changes nothing from my experience in my 98 Mark. Others may have had better results but I would have to question it seriously especially on a 98 with a BTC0 computer.

Du