In dash Navigation for cheap

386Motoring

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the board here. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this or not but i had a Garmin Nuvi given to me for christmas. I have wanted navigation for quite some time and replacing the head unit wasn't an option for me. I looked into factory navigation units but the cost and the confusion really turned me away from them. After riding around with the garmin suctioned to my windshield and that annoying wire hanging in my way for about a week i finally decided to take another route. I figured out rather quickly that the garmin nuvi was the same size as the ash tray/ cigar lighter. I don't smoke nor did i use the cigar lighter for anything else so i removed the ashtray, removed the housing behind it. I wired up the garmin to work with the aux outlet behind it so no more wires would show. It works great and i find it more convenient then having the huge navigation unit hanging from my windshield.

Hope this inspires someone else to try it.

The unit fit perfect with no fabrication at all. any bigger or smaller and the unit would have needed something to hold it. I took some pics for you guys to see what i'm talking about.

100_3787.jpg

100_3786.jpg

I can dig it. Just showin' my boy Nick's work. :D

Its an awesome idea.... I get alot of compliments on it and its tucked out of the way. I think every LS owner should do it if they think they would like it. Although my LS doesn't need to navigate anywhere since its on jackstands in the garage. LOL. Transmission is coming out tomorrow :)

How's the signal reception on the GPS when it is tucked into the dash? Looks like the receiver (antenna or what ever it is called) on the Garmin is covered. Also, how do you turn it on and off (my assumption is you have to take it out to turn on)?

How's the signal reception on the GPS when it is tucked into the dash? Looks like the receiver (antenna or what ever it is called) on the Garmin is covered. Also, how do you turn it on and off (my assumption is you have to take it out to turn on)?

the reception has been fine unless i'm in a parking garage.

I actually have my cigar lighter wired up to the lights so it will turn on if i turn my lights on. I didn't mention that cause most people probably aren't familiar with wiring. You could run aux. power wire to it so it turns on with the ignition also, but its also very easy to manually turn on when you need to. I guess that all depends on everyone elses preference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back