IMRC Problem on 98 LSC

GTLSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a DTC code of P1518. The shop I brought the car to told me that the part needed to fix this is no longer available. Does anyone know where to get or have one of these parts to fix my ride?

Greg

You should try seafoaming the engine first and or manually working the IMRC's to see if on is just stuck. Then replace the controller, I have on I would be will to sell.

if that code is for the pass side imrc (not sure but i think it is) you can manually free it up (easy).. i have done it on mine and it's worked out fine..the drivers side imrc is abit harder to get to. I'm sure someone will chime in with the directions. it only takes acouple minutes at most to free it up..(pass side)

if you can free it up i would seafoam it afterwords for safe measure..

P1518 is IMRC stuck open. Chances are they are not stuck open and you have a bad IMRC.
My 97 has P1519 (stuck closed), I did some diag and found they were carbon closed because of the little old lady I bought the car from never got the RPM's up over 3000.
I took my intake off, removed the IMRC's and brake cleaned the :q:q:q:qt out of them in a solvent tank at work. Easy job to do but messy. I did first try the Seafoam through the PCV hose and in the tank but it didn't work. You can check the operation of them by looking at the back of the intake and stabbing the throttle and watch to see if the cables move. You can even stick your hand back there and move them by hand.

Thank you for all the help guys. The shop told me that I need a new IMRC box because one of the cables ripped and fell apart. What should a used IMRC box cost?

Members online

No members online now.
Back