I'm stumped

gijoe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well here it goes. My car over heated all the sudden so I shut car off and later ended up changing the thermostat and antifreeze. So no more problems but then a couple weeks later it read high temps again and looked there was a puddle of antifreeze under front driver side door so added more antifreeze and drove over 1600 miles before it happened again. I may know what the problem is but I would like to know if anyone else had this problem or any ideas at all. Thanks to all in advance for all ur input.

Check your coolant reservoir and the hoses connected to it. Check for a failure no matter how trivial to the integrity of that bottle. Insure the lid is air tight. That cooling system is closed and needs to be sealed tight to work properly. In short, trace the leak to its source and diagnose the why and how and fix it. After that you will be able to determined if you have a seporate issue causing the car to overheat and intern caused bottle or hose failure.

Most likely your degas bottle

Back when mine cracked (i am not saying you should do this, just saying my car ran fine while i did this) i drove with the degas cap just sitting on top (did not twist it on at all) so the coolant wouldnt leak out when i parked it. lol

I had the same symptoms when my degas bottle was cracked.

bottle would pressurize, crack would expand, and it would leak.

got bad enough that a full tank would be empty in 2 days.

Can you hear the bottle hissing after you park the car?

No can't hear it hissing but I can look into the bottle being cracked. It sounds alot better then what I was thinking a leaking head gasket. Any other ideas let me know and thanks again for the new direction.

No can't hear it hissing but I can look into the bottle being cracked. It sounds alot better then what I was thinking a leaking head gasket. Any other ideas let me know and thanks again for the new direction.

What year? It is almost a surety that it's the degas bottle. Be forewarned, you may not see any cracks; they are usually very small.

Yeeeah... That would stress me to. If you had a head gasket leak you would more than likely have coolant leaking into the exhaust or the cylinders causing a miss fire white smoke all kinds of crap. Not in every case but....

+1, puddle near the door is usually a dead give away, unless its a cracked hose

Members online

No members online now.
Back