I'm overheating (I searched)

mike690003

LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to get my 2000 Lincoln LS V8 today from the body shop today. I was so excited to pick it up. I went to test drive it around the block and...it began to overheat. The ("Check Engine Temperature") light was on and check engine light. I quickly popped the hood and noticed the fans were not working at all. I looked in the hydraulic fluid resovoir and it was full.Does anyone know where the relay or fuse for the fans is located?
These fuse boxes don't have any labeling indicating what fuse controls what, so I am at a loss.

(I hope it's a relay or fuse. )

i get the same problem. ill just be driving and my car starts to overheat. it usually takes a few minutes for the temperature guage to go back down, very frustrating. is stopped and popped the hood and the engine wasnt even that hot, and my coolant is fine. suggestions?

By chance did they leave the switch unplugged? You may have a lot of searching to do to find the problem where it just came out of the body shop. Who knows what they did? You could also just take it back to them and tell them to fix it. It should be their responsibility.

If it was a collision repair, this would be covered by the insurance claim. This could be an expensive repair if a component was damaged. Make sure they are aware of it.

Well, here's the diagnosis: The shop claims that the fans AND the pump are the culprit. They said that the cost to repair will be at least $1,000. I fid it hard to believe that the fans and pump can both fail at once. Is there a fuse that controls the pump/fan operation? I was assuming one or the other would fail. Now, if that is the real problem, how hard would it be to upgrade to electrical fans that are in the later model LS's?? I will probably go that route if it is a better price than $1,000.

I actually looked into the swap very seriously. It most definitely can be done...and in fact WAS done by someone here very successfully. But you need some electrical skills along with mechanical skills.

I think the shop is blowing smoke up your dress. Take it to a dealer and have it diagnosed. It may be nothing more than a switch.

FWIW, the 2000-2002 LS didn't have a "traditional" electrical fan as the electrical system was already close to maxed out. The system couldn't take the extra drag from a cooling fan.

Update: It turns out that the pump was clogged up. I had the pump flushed and the fan began to work. Then a blade broke off the fan, and it began to vibrate very hard, and the car would shut off. The dealer wanted $467 for a new fan. I went to a salvage yard and found a wrecked 2001 LS V6. Well the dealer claimed the V6 fan wouldn't work, but I had a brainstorm. Since only my blade was broken, I bought the used V6 fan and switched the blades. In no time, bingo! The LS was back in action! It took me about 1.5 hours and I saved about $300 too ;) So that's a tip for anyone who is overheating

Members online

Back