Im going to get shot for this.. but ill live and recover just fine...

Nakoa

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but..

i dont think i like my 99 town car.

its not that its not nice.. because it is..
it just dont seem like it was put together as well as my old 90.
Ive had it for about 3 months now and im not very happy with it...
the only thing i like about it over my old 90 is that it has better acceleration..
thats it..

it just feels kind of fake.. from the way it handles right down to the plastic wood trim...

Im thinking about selling it and getting a comparable year deville(98-2000.. preff a 2000). i just feel the deville from 98-newer is more car for the money... and i hate saying that.

im going to go talk to the caddy dealership this week about possibly trading mine in towards a deville or just selling it and using whats left over after i pay my loan off as a downpayment on one..

Heresy! Just improve the engine with PI heads and intake, a dual exhaust, converter, J-mod, Marauder intake, or K&N aricharger, and an SCT tune. I think you'll appreciate the car a little more afterward. I am feelin' ya' on the lack of acceleration on the pre 2001 T-Cars...

BTW, I think the Lincoln wood is actually real, and I'm sure the Caddy wood is fake- at least according to my friend who owns a 2001 ETC...:D

its not performance im after.. and the plastiwood in the towncar is just that.. plastic.. it flexes when you push on it and has no depth to it like a real piece of wood does...

Be sure to really test drive the Caddy before you buy. Drive especially on the highway and WOT. You may find the difference between RWD and FWD a little akward, and you may opt to stay RWD. I found a big change between my Continental and my previous cars, all of which were RWD. I ditched the Conti because of the immense torque steer at highway speeds.

Just make sure before you buy. I'm out $4,000 because I didn't test the FWD as much as I should have. Good luck!

Sell that 99 and go find a cheap 90 again and drop the leftover money into it :-D 1990 is the best TC year! (cause thats what ive got ;))

c'mon, the 95s and 96s are the best.

id love to have a brand new conditon 90.. dont get me wrong.. but i dont want to depend on a car that old. when i got rid of mine, it was trading a monthly car repair bill for a monthly payment... both suck.. but atleast with one of them i can still make it to work.. im not much of a cadillac fan from the beginning of time-97 or 98.. but i must say the 98-present devilles seem much more well put together. they seem like they have more to offer and may be a bit better at offering it...
this will all be decided when i test drive one this weekend or next...
and 90-97 were the towncars best years... imo.. anythign newer should be called the town victoria.

my 90 TC that i have had for almost hasnt given me any trouble whatsoever except for a couple broken hoses that were 10$ fixes... if you can find a 90 TC that has been taken care of it will be better than that caddy!

just get a 90 an drop in a new engine. you can get the 90's for like uner 2g's.

KainDTE said:
my 90 TC that i have had for almost hasnt given me any trouble whatsoever except for a couple broken hoses that were 10$ fixes... if you can find a 90 TC that has been taken care of it will be better than that caddy!

Agreed. I have a 90, and It has 119k miles on it, and just last year I took it to Ohio (I live in NJ) and that would be a 1000+ round trip, I did not 'take it easy' eather I was crusin on the tunpike at about 75-85+. with the adv mpg at 19.8. I love the car because of the safe feeling I get when I drive it, and also there is no creeks or werid noises, just the problems with the IAC, (fixing soon) otherwise solid engine & tranny, and and great sounding audio system (custom Pioneer Head Unit)

I could probably take it across country! 90 is the best year in my opinion, the 5.0 engine, and the best body style with real crome on the bumper!

evillally said:
Heresy! Just improve the engine with PI heads and intake, a dual exhaust, converter, J-mod, Marauder intake, or K&N aricharger, and an SCT tune. I think you'll appreciate the car a little more afterward. I am feelin' ya' on the lack of acceleration on the pre 2001 T-Cars...

BTW, I think the Lincoln wood is actually real, and I'm sure the Caddy wood is fake- at least according to my friend who owns a 2001 ETC...:D

what would those mods accomplish and how much are we looking at spending to do them?

A gain of 35-40 RWHP with the PI heads and intake alone. With a chip, cold-air, exhaust, J-mod, maybe steeper rear gears, probably a total of 50RWHP total.

If you shop around and buy used, you'll spend less than $1,000. Recently, a PI swap sold for $475 on Corral. Brand new, you'll spend around $800+. Otherwise...

PI heads & intake: $400-$900.
Exhaust $250-500
Marauder intake tube/ or K&N (the C.Vic part #): $100-$200
SCT XCalibrator tune: $375
Gears & Trac-lok: $600 total.
J-mod: free, but you'll need gaksets, filter, and 13qts. of Mercon V, so $40

FYI- You'll get a 10.2: 1 compression from the head swap, so you'll need to use 93 gas, if that's a problem. But I know you'll appreciate the extra power, especially on the low end...

thats pretty expensive...

we'll see what i do after i test drive the deville..

and about the 93.. i already have to use it.. so im not worried about it.

how bad will those mods be on gas mileage?

Well, interesting one of member (Stephan) said:

We switched to Lincoln from Cadillac in 1979 after driving our first Town Car and we have never looked back.

evillally said:
A gain of 35-40 RWHP with the PI heads and intake alone. With a chip, cold-air, exhaust, J-mod, maybe steeper rear gears, probably a total of 50RWHP total.

If you shop around and buy used, you'll spend less than $1,000. Recently, a PI swap sold for $475 on Corral. Brand new, you'll spend around $800+. Otherwise...

PI heads & intake: $400-$900.
Exhaust $250-500
Marauder intake tube/ or K&N (the C.Vic part #): $100-$200
SCT XCalibrator tune: $375
Gears & Trac-lok: $600 total.
J-mod: free, but you'll need gaksets, filter, and 13qts. of Mercon V, so $40

FYI- You'll get a 10.2: 1 compression from the head swap, so you'll need to use 93 gas, if that's a problem. But I know you'll appreciate the extra power, especially on the low end...

whats with that pic of that guy?

KainDTE said:
Sell that 99 and go find a cheap 90 again and drop the leftover money into it :-D 1990 is the best TC year! (cause thats what ive got ;))

I agree!

I agress if 90 is the year you like then go with 90 thats what you want
and about FWD and RWD
it wasn,t about that with me I just had to have the continental
i love that look of the 95 to 97 4door lincoln sedan with the Neon in the back
it made my blood flow and when i found out how fast it was wow
i loved it

Nakoa said:
thats pretty expensive...

we'll see what i do after i test drive the deville..

and about the 93.. i already have to use it.. so im not worried about it.

how bad will those mods be on gas mileage?

Gas mileage will drop due to excessive full throttle...:gr_devil:

...intersting...

i love the 93-96 cadillac fleetwoods, but those are the last years i like caddies, because they are the last RWD models!!!

-as far as towncars....95-97 is where its at!!! the only reason i liek 90's is because they still have real A-arms!!! and i LOVE the 90-94 chrome mirrors...
-my second favorite is the 98-2002 models...they just "SCREAM" mobster...

i love the 93-96 cadillac fleetwoods, but those are the last years i like caddies, because they are the last RWD models!!!

Good engine under there, the LT1. Lots of cheap upgrades and performance-adders for chump change!

I believe and strongly feel that my (late) 1995 Crown Victoria was built better and had better materials than that of my 2000/2004 model civilian Crown Victorias. From what I hear, every automaker is getting like that.

97LTCSS said:

-as far as towncars....95-97 is where its at!!! the only reason i liek 90's is because they still have real A-arms!!! and i LOVE the 90-94 chrome mirrors...
-my second favorite is the 98-2002 models...they just "SCREAM" mobster...

listen to this guy, he knows what hes talking about!

Members online

No members online now.
Back