I'm Getting P!ssed

rwurst918

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving my car this morning and noticed the transmission wont shift firmly from first to second in sst mode. It takes about two seconds for it to switch to second gear when in that mode. All other gears are fine. I replaced the solenoid and the filter correctly and to exact factory specs. I replaced about four and a half bottles of Mercon V till the fluid started to leak out. Is it possible that the tranny fluid is low? I thought the car has a low tranny fluid light, but maybe I'm wrong. Do I need to have the PCM flashed by the dealer? If it's not the low fluid, then what could it be? I don't beat on this thing and it never treats me right. I have put in too much to get so little out of this car. I love the car but it looks like it had a bad previous owner. Yesterday I found out the cost of one of my rims is $901. I found out the bent rim is not the reason why the steering wheel vibrates. The license plate lights are both out. I have a loud annoying vibration in the dash up near the front defroster when i go over 70. I think I have begun to develop the timing chain tensioner problem. It knocks for approximately two seconds loudly and then it stops unless driving while it is still cold. After the car warms up, it runs perfect and no noises. What is the real problem so I can get it fixed before anything really bad happens? Maybe it is just a valve adjustment. FML.

What I can help with...
The LS transmission does not have any fluid level monitoring or "light."
Fluid level is not listed in the trouble shooting chart for no manual shift from 1 to 2. It is mentioned for many other problems.
It doesn't need to be reflashed. The software automatically adjusts for (or learns) variations in the transmission.

Shift Concern: No 2nd Gear in Manual 2 Position Possible Component Reference/Action
217 — ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System

· PCM, vehicle wiring harnesses, shift solenoids A, B, C, pressure control solenoid B

· Carry out on-board diagnostic tests. For additional information, refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for diagnosis and testing of the PCM.

· Go To Pinpoint Test A and Go To Pinpoint Test D .

· Repair as necessary. Clear DTCs, road test and rerun on-board diagnostic test.
Incorrect Pressures

· High/low pressures

· Check pressure at line and PC C taps. Carry out Line Pressure Test. Refer to Special Testing Procedures in this section.
Main Control

· Screws not tightened to specification

· Tighten to specification.

· Separator plate damaged

· Inspect for damage. If damaged, install a new separator plate.

· Contamination

· Disassemble and clean.

· Valves, springs damaged, misassembled, missing, stuck or bore damaged

· If damaged or parts are missing, install a new main control assembly. If misassembled, reassemble correctly. DO NOT stone, file or sand valves. This will remove the anodized finish and may result in further main control or transmission damage.

· Filter damaged, missing

· Inspect for damage, repair as necessary.
Overdrive Servo

· Servo retaining screws damaged

· Inspect for damage. Repair as necessary.

· Seals (piston and cover) damaged

· Not adjusted correctly

Overdrive Band

· Band damaged

· Servo worn or damaged

· Not adjusted correctly

Direct One-Way Clutch

· Worn, damaged or assembled incorrectly

Low One-Way Clutch

· Worn, damaged or assembled incorrectly

Not knowing the size of the "bottles" of Mercon V but the owners manual calls for 11.2L/11.9QT dry capacity. I would double check fluid level.

Not knowing the size of the "bottles" of Mercon V but the owners manual calls for 11.2L/11.9QT dry capacity. I would double check fluid level.

Most of the transmission fluid does not drain out when you drop the pan. To change most/all of it, you have to do a fluid exchange.

I can only recommend rechecking the fluid level. The notes from TransGo say that it should be flowing out of the check hole, not dribbling. Double check that the car (not the tranny pan!) is level for the procedure.
If it also has problems going from 3rd to 2nd then that would make it sound like the band, servo, etc.

Use a hose or mechanic's stethoscope to hunt down the knock. If it's tensioners, then it'll be on the front of the engine. Could also be a rod or pin knock (if those are really minor then it can subside when the engine is warm). No valve adjustment on these suckers. Overhead cams sit on shims that sit on lifters that sit on the valves. Shims are installed at the factory.

Rear plate lights are easy to replace. I just replaced one and the other light burned out the next week. Funny, right? You do need to pull the trim panel. Get a trim panel puller tool if you haven't - that thing has earned a place on the wall next to the torque wrench.

It's a love/hate relationship. Get counseling. :)

I got 8 one quart bottles that weren't even full. They were sealed. Dont know why they were so low. That's why is said I filled it with bottles instead of quarts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back