I'm back with a new Mark VIII

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. sprocket

sprocket Well-Known LVC Member

Hello all,

I burned a valve or something like that to cause a cylinder to go dead on my '96. So I gave it to a friend. It now sits in his shed waiting for him to find and install an engine. Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble with well over 200,000 on the clock.

But now I bought a '98 LSC collectors edition. Pearl white with 147,000 miles. Pictures to come. The body and interior are in really good shape. Supposedly it has a blown head gasket. I didn't get a lot of details other than that it was overheating and a mechanic told him it was the head gasket. It has sat in his garage for about 3 yrs. He finally decided he was never going to get around to fixing it so I bought it for $800. I have driven it once for about 45 minutes. It has a few minor issues but it didn't overheat. I did a block test for hydrocarbons in the coolant and it was negative. It misfired on cyl 1 and 3 when I first started it the day before, but it hadn't been run in a long time. They cleared up. There were no codes or pending codes after my drive. It needs an oil change, new coolant, spark plugs, air filter... Two tires lose air and tires need balanced. Brake rotors vibrate.

I don't feel like questioning the previous owner about its supposed issues. I would rather he thinks it had serious issues and he got what he could for it. Maybe it really does have a blown head gasket. If anyone has advice on how to explore that possibility further, I would appreciate it.

I will update as things progress!

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

I think that "blown head gasket" is the go to diagnosis when they don't see an obvious problem.

3. sprocket

I haven't noticed the fan coming on. Should it come on if the a/c is on high?

4. sprocket

An update :

The A/C needed charging but even after that, the fan doesn't come on with the A/C on high. I let it idle for quite awhile and revved the engine long enough to get the engine temp to rise to 240. Still the fan didn't come on. I did a test drive and checked live data. LTFT on one side, bank 2 I think, was high. Like 15 on average but bounced around. Fuel system 1 shows closed, fuel system 2 says n/a. I don't understand that. I could see it saying open, but I don't understand not available. One of the 02 sensors part the cat seems sluggish. It often reads zero. I think that is on bank 2 as well.

It runs decent, no misfires, but maybe a little sluggish. No stored codes. Not yet anyway. Fuel economy seems low. It looks like either the VLCM or the PCM is bad. The is a VLCM on eBay. None locally that I have found yet. Does anyone know a good source for these?

Any comments or suggestions are Appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. sprocket

It's the fan motor. Now where the hell do I find one?

6. sprocket

Nope. It was just a loose ground wire. I think I got it. I might need a new plug. This one seems kinda loose. The fan runs now.

I changed the oil and the air filter. Two screws were missing in the air box. I added one more. Live data seems to be improving.

I don't think there's really anything wrong now. Yay if I'm right!

7. Scallywag

Scallywag Well-Known LVC Member

Yea, I would do a partial tune up being that you just bought the car.

"Partial" meaning I'd do everything minus new COPs & minus fuel filter to rule out the common components that are more easily accessible. New PCV valve, spark plugs, and new COP Boots should be more cost friendly than $300-$400 for new COPs.

However, if you paid $800 for the Mark, then coughing up $400 for new COPs may not be that bad an idea if you think the car is worth it. Otherwise, the spring coils & boots could probably just need replacing as they're likely sludged up with the oil that was sitting at the bottom of the wells which might account for the slight sluggish feeling.

Maybe it still has the air-intake snorkel!! Removing it might give the Mark that extra umpth that you're used to. At the very least the engine will growl better :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Bullymong88

Bullymong88 Active LVC Member

I replaced the fuel filter before I started driving mine purely because it had been sitting for 3 years, its not hard if you know where its at.