Ignition issue

Peterk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Could anyone let me know which sensors decide which plug fires in order ? I have had various issues with # 7 misfire .. recently # 6 too. It is not constant for # 7 ..only when under load and some days just fine .. # 6 started to misfire the other day and suddenly stopped today. The only codes are for the misfire. Relatively new wires .. new ford coils and new plugs last summer. Perhaps the crank sensor ? I don't want to take it to a mechanic quite yet ..I have some new wires on hand (Taylor) just in case I got a bad Ford set. It's things like this that make me miss the old days of a coil and a distributor !

The crank sensor provides timing info to the PCM to fire the plugs (the cam sensor is also involved). However, it is almost certainly not your problem. Erratic timing info from the crank sensor would likely trigger other codes.

The crank sensor provides timing info to the PCM to fire the plugs (the cam sensor is also involved). However, it is almost certainly not your problem. Erratic timing info from the crank sensor would likely trigger other codes.
Perhaps my F-injectors are going bad or their wiring ? If the issue was constant I could get a better idea of what the heck it might be but, I can cruise on the highway with no issues .. no codes .. runs smooth as silk. I can go a month with no problems. I'll check the plugs for # 6 and 7 to see what they might tell me . By the way, when I say I miss the old days, my first car in 1967 was a 56 ford with the Police 312 engine ... never needed ramps to get under the car and enough room in the engine bay to have a party ! This 96 is a bit tight in there ..lol

Thanks ... I think it's time to get it checked and diagnosed at a shop. # 6 misfiring again this morning so I popped the hood and heard a light tapping on that cylinder head. Not a happy sound to hear.

"By the way, when I say I miss the old days, my first car in 1967 was a 56 ford with the Police 312 engine ... never needed ramps to get under the car and enough room in the engine bay to have a party !"

1966 a 55 ford 2 doors 6 cylinders for me. Best Wishes

I took the car to a new shop in town and they diagnosed and fixed the problem. The intake manifold gaskets were leaking. They had a tough time finding the gaskets though. One set came with a lower gasket that was plastic and about a 1/4 " thick ( Felpro) . Car runs better than ever now. I think the gaskets may have had a minor leak 8 years ago when I purchased it and it just grew slowly over time. The best part of this all was that this new shop only charges 108.00 for labor. Unheard of around here in MA. Most are 170 to 180.00 per hr. Also, the mechanic did a lot of little extra fixes while he was in there .. no charge .. also unheard of here. Thanks for the input from you folks.

Members online

Back