Ignition Coils/Misfire

Dom

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So after months of my '02 LS V8 running pretty rough (like I'm using bad gas of which I never have), my check engine light finally went on and the car is a real slug! The mechanic at my local auto center said I have a misfire on cylinder 2. He suggested a tune-up and a new coil. Unfortunately, the only guy that can work on the car is out for a while with a broken hand. So I asked my buddy who owns a small shop to see what he can do. He hasn't worked on any LS engines but said he can check it out but not until next week. He's not sure if the coils are separate or bunched together under the valve cover. Now I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right. He said if they are separate he can handle the job but if they're bunched together I should bring it to the dealership. Anyone know what I need to do; if I'm explaininng it with enough info? And should I just replace all the plugs and/or coils. The car has 63,000 miles on it and otherwise is in great condition.
Thanx

The coils are seperate. There is one on each spark plug. Not difficult to replace. Oil in the plug wells usually causes coil failure on these cars. If this condition exists you will need to replace your valve cover gaskets as well.

You should probably go ahead and change the VC gaskets while you're in there. It'll save you trouble in the long run.

I just did this same thing. While you're in there, you might as well replace the plugs also. Go ahead and do both sides, plugs and coils. Start on the driver's side, its a pain to get the cover off, but do-able. After that, the passenger side will be a piece of cake.

Note that you'll need a 7mm box end wrench to get the bottom rear bolt off for the cover. Use the open end to turn the bolt and tie a string through the box and to part of the engine. Being able to pull the wrench back up with the string after dropping it off that bolt 10 times will reduce the amount of cursing you're gonna do.

You'll find some good general instructions in the tech articles section. I copied in as link to one of them here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IgnitionCoilV8/

Duke

since its cyl 2, make SURE there's oil in the plug wells, because all you have to do for cyl 2 is pop off the passenger side valve cover, its alot more work to do the vcg.

Hi All

P/N's required....
r/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6584-AB list $43.85 LVC $32.89
l/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6854-BB list $44.38 LVC $33.29
coils ....2W4Z-12029-BD list $74.04 LVC $43.32each may be on recall

all in stock ready to ship..

Max

Hey Guys,
Thanx for the quick responses. That clears everything up. So I've been reading up on these coils-should I be wary of what kind I buy? Do they really make that much of a difference? Should I just get OEM? Thanx again.
Dominick

Wouldn't it be nice if someone were to make an upgraded replacement for coil packs.......

I just got my car back with all new plugs and a new ignition coil and man what a difference! Feels like new! Anyway, my buddy who did the job says my car is running lean; the plugs were brownish. I do have a Magnaflow exhaust and KKM Intake on it so I guess I need to bring more fuel into then engine. I know all you guys have done tons of things with this so what's my next step.

dont mean to threadjack...

but my engine runs lightly rough on idle.
i think its time for a tune up or a coil is bad, but im not getting any engine check lights. I wanna do the work myself because i know its easy, i got the tools and know how to work on my own stuff.. but is there a way to find out which coil or plug it is thats bad??

Have autozone or advanced auto check the codes, you may have one even though you haven't seen the CEL. If no codes, dealer can run a stress test on the coils, but don't think there is a reliable way to test yourself.

dont mean to threadjack...

but my engine runs lightly rough on idle.
i think its time for a tune up or a coil is bad, but im not getting any engine check lights. I wanna do the work myself because i know its easy, i got the tools and know how to work on my own stuff.. but is there a way to find out which coil or plug it is thats bad??

03 had a recall on coils, take it to the dealer. You are good if your car has less than 100K miles.

It's not a recall, but they did extend the warranty on the coils to 100k. If you take it in and the problem is a plug and not a coil you're going to get charged. I would replace the plugs first, if you still have a rough idle then take it in. If you see oil or water in the plug wells, or the boots on the coils have oil or water damage, that is covered in the TSB as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back