Ignition coil warranty question

ShoogDoog

LVC Member
Reaction score
Mine is an '04 with V8 with 58,000 miles. Well, on July 2 my wife and I were on the way out of town for vacation. Engine starts missing, and I know it's a coil, because I had the dealer replace #4 about 6 months earlier and I was familiar with the symptom. Anyway, I called the dealership from the car and tried to sound as pathetic as possible. They squeezed me in and found out that #3 was bad and it would take about 2 hours. So my wife and I stared at the wall in the waiting room for a while. They finished the job, then I got the bill...

$333.15 to change a coil and plug on the EASY side of the engine. WTF. Labor was $200! After I paid and before I left I told the chick at the counter that I got a letter from Ford in June 2008 saying that the coils were covered for 10 yrs/100k mi. She said no. Then she checked with somebody somewhere and said "that's only if they're damaged by oil." That's not the way I read the letter. I've tried several times to reach the service manager to kick this around and try and get some of my $333 back: he's "not in" or he'll "call me back," blah, blah.

At last, my questions: shouldn't the coil have been covered by the warranty?

The letter mentions something about covering coils that fail stress testing - what's that? I can almost hear the dealership saying, well we can't stress test it now because we threw it away.

I'll be changing the other 6 myself shortly, a job apparently worth $1998.90!

Man that BS The LS has such poor coils. I'd be F ing pissed if the mark had that issue. Why cannt anybody make a coil that will last. Owned the mark for about six years never had an issues with any coils. knock on wood. If you have another issue before you change then all have the dealer change all the ones on that side. They cann't charge you the labor four times.

Thats BS

I also have a 2004 Lincoln LS and here is my letter:

Extended Warrenty pg1.jpg

Exstended Warrenty pg2.jpg

The letter has been updated since then. They clearly cover all coil failures, even if there is no oil or water. I had four replaced on my 04 this way, completely covered.
Here is the updated text. (I've posted the zipped PDF a few times before. - Search if you want that.)

Michael A. Berardi Ford Motor Company
Director P. O. Box 1904
Service Engineering Operations Dearborn, Michigan 48121
Ford Customer Service Division
May 20, 2008
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07M07- Supplement #1:
Certain 2003 - 2005 Model Year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird Vehicles
Equipped With 3.9L Engine - Extended Warranty Coverage on Ignition Coil
Assemblies and on 2003 MY Vehicles Only, Engine Valve Cover Gaskets
REF : Customer Satisfaction Program 07M07 dated July 2007
REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
This bulletin is being re-issued to include 2004 and 2005 model year vehicles in the extended
warranty coverage on ignition coil assemblies only.
NOTE: Design changes were implemented in the affected 2004 and 2005 model year vehicles to
address oil contamination concerns. Therefore, the extended coverage on valve cover gaskets
applies only to the affected 2003 model year vehicles.
PROGRAM TERMS
2003 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
This program extends the warranty coverage of the ignition coils and engine valve cover gaskets
to 10 years of service from the warranty start date of the vehicle or 100,000 miles, whichever
occurs first. For vehicles that have accumulated more than 100,000 miles, coverage was
extended until December 31, 2007. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
2004 AND 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
This program extends the warranty coverage of the ignition coils to 10 years of service from the
warranty start date of the vehicle or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. For vehicles that have
accumulated more than 100,000 miles, coverage will last until November 30, 2008. Coverage is
automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM
Certain 2003 - 2005 model year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with 3.9L
engine built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from Job 1 through Job Last. Affected vehicles are
identified in OASIS.
Ó Copyright 2008 Ford Motor Company
REASON FOR PROVIDING EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE
AFFECTED 2003 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
Some of the vehicles may experience an engine misfire condition predominantly due to internal
breakdown in the coil and lack of adhesion between the epoxy and the coil housing material.
These issues may cause the coil to operate at an insufficient voltage level, resulting in ignition coil
misfires. In addition, the valve cover gaskets may allow engine oil to enter the spark plug well and
cause degradation of the ignition coil boot, resulting in ignition coil misfire. Drivability symptoms
associated with an ignition coil misfire include rough running engine, surge or hesitation on
acceleration, and/or illumination of the check engine light.
AFFECTED 2004 AND 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
Some of the vehicles may experience an engine misfire condition predominantly due to internal
breakdown in the coil and lack of adhesion between the epoxy and the coil housing material.
These issues may cause the coil to operate at an insufficient voltage level, resulting in ignition coil
misfires. Drivability symptoms associated with an ignition coil misfire include rough running
engine, surge or hesitation on acceleration, and/or illumination of the check engine light.
SERVICE ACTION
AFFECTED 2003 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
If any of the above mentioned drivability issues are reported on an affected vehicle, dealers are to
identify any engine cylinder that is misfiring and perform an ignition coil stress test on the affected
cylinders. If the coil fails the stress test, dealers are to replace the ignition coil and associated
spark plug. If any coil boot is contaminated with engine oil, dealers are to contact the Special
Service Support Center for prior approval to replace the contaminated ignition coil boot, the
associated spark plug and install a new valve cover gasket set. This service must be performed
on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
AFFECTED 2004 AND 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES
If any of the above mentioned drivability issues are reported on an affected vehicle, dealers are to
identify any engine cylinder that is misfiring and perform an ignition coil stress test on the affected
cylinders. If the coil fails the stress test, dealers are to replace the ignition coil and associated
spark plug. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Notes:
1. This extended warranty coverage program applies to ignition coil assemblies on all
affected vehicles. During diagnosis, if other concerns or DTC's are found, they will
not be covered under this program and are the responsibility of the vehicle owner, if
the vehicle has exceeded the time or mileage limits of all other warranty coverages
(NVLM/Emissions/Extended/etc.). Owners who received letters announcing 07M07,
and who bring their vehicles into the dealership because of an engine misfire
condition, should be advised that this program only covers the cost of repairs related
to defective ignition coils.
2. Other repairs are not covered by this program.
3. COILS CONTAMINATED WITH WATER: If any coils are contaminated with water,
dealers should perform Field Service Action 07N09 after performing this program
(07M07).
ATTACHMENTS
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Customer Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621
Sincerely,
Michael A. Berardi
ATTACHMENT I
Page 1 of 2
Customer Satisfaction Program 07M07 Supplement #1
Certain 2003 - 2005 MY Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird Vehicles Equipped With 3.9L Engine
Extended Warranty Coverage on Ignition Coil Assemblies and
on 2003 MY Vehicles Only, Engine Valve Cover Gaskets
OASIS ACTIVATED?
Yes. OASIS will be activated May 20, 2008.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?
No, FSA VIN lists will not be activated for this program.
STOCK VEHICLES
Do not perform this program unless the affected vehicle exhibits the covered condition.
SOLD VEHICLES
Owners of affected vehicles will be notified of the extended warranty coverage and directed to
contact their dealer for repairs if their vehicle exhibits drivability issues that may be related to the
covered component.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this extended warranty.
RELATED DAMAGE
If a related damage condition exists that you believe to be caused by the covered condition, call
the Special Service Support Center to request approval prior to the repair of any related damage.
Requests for approval after completion of the repair will not be granted.
ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME
If a condition exists that requires additional labor to complete the repair, call the Special Service
Support Center to request approval prior to performing any additional labor. Requests for
approval after completion of the repair will not be granted.
OWNER REFUNDS
• Ford Motor Company will only refund owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the
repair was performed prior to the date of the Owner Notification Letter (or after the date of
the letter if an emergency repair was made away from the servicing dealer). Non-covered
repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
• 2003 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES: Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with
the diagnosis and replacement of ignition coils and engine valve cover gaskets.
• 2004 - 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES: Refunds will only be provided for the cost
associated with the diagnosis and replacement of the ignition coils.
• Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each
repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim. If a repair is performed on
the same visit, the repair and refunds should be submitted on separate repair lines.
• The refund period for repairs performed prior to the date of the Customer Notification Letter
will expire on November 30, 2008. After November 30, 2008, only emergency repairs are
eligible for reimbursement.
• Refund Claiming Information. (Submit on separate repair line).
- Program Code: 07M07 - Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Misc. Expense: REFUND - Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
ATTACHMENT I
Page 2 of 2
Certain 2003 - 2005 MY Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird Vehicles Equipped With 3.9L Engine
RENTAL VEHICLES
The use of rental vehicles is not authorized for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
• Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).
• Refund or related damage must be claimed on a repair line that is separate from the repair
line on which the FSA is claimed. Related damage requires prior approval from Special
Service Support Center.
• "MT" labor should be submitted on a separate repair line with the related damage flag
checked. "MT" labor requires prior approval from Special Service Support Center.
• Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
ATTACHMENT II
Page 1 of 1
LABOR ALLOWANCES
Description Labor
Operation
Labor
Time
FAIL STRESS TEST - Replace One Ignition Coil: Perform EEC
Test and obtain Mode 6 engine misfire data. Perform coil stress test
on one (1) ignition coil. Remove & replace one (1) ignition coil
assembly and spark plug.
07M07B 0.9
Hour
FAIL STRESS TEST - Replace Two Ignition Coils: Perform EEC
Test and obtain Mode 6 engine misfire data. Perform coil stress test
on two ignition coils. Remove & replace two (2) ignition coil
assemblies and two spark plugs.
NOTE: Call Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621 if
more than two (2) ignition coils require replacement.
07M07C 1.2
Hours
2003 MY VEHICLES ONLY: If the ignition coil is contaminated with engine oil, contact Special
Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
Parts will not be direct shipped for this program. Order your parts requirements through normal
order processing channels.
Part Number Description Quantity
2W4Z-12029-BD Coil Assembly - Ignition
AGSP- 32F-SM Spark Plug
Call Special Service Support Center at
1-800-325-5621 if more than two (2) ignition
coils and spark plugs require replacement.
Questions regarding parts should be directed to the Special Service Support Center
(800-325-5621) or E-mailed to: Ford@Renkim.com.
DEALER PRICE
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Replaced parts are subject to random selection for return to the Ford Warranty Parts Analysis
Center (WPAC). Refer to your daily PEARS (Parts Entry and Return System) register for part
disposition and return instructions.
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual for “Parts Retention and Return
Procedures".

Keep in mind, the dealer can get paid double for doing warranty work and not letting you claim it. I am not saying this is the case here. But a dealer could replace the coils and charge you for it, then turn around and submit the warranty work and get paid for it by Ford also. Double pay for the work. The dealer gets additional profit and the piece rate mechanic also gets paid double. The dealer is incentivised to lie to you and rip you off. Find out who the reagional director is and give him (or her) a call. That will get the issue resolved for you quickly.

Keep in mind, the dealer can get paid double for doing warranty work and not letting you claim it. I am not saying this is the case here. But a dealer could replace the coils and charge you for it, then turn around and submit the warranty work and get paid for it by Ford also. Double pay for the work. The dealer gets additional profit and the piece rate mechanic also gets paid double. The dealer is incentivised to lie to you and rip you off. Find out who the reagional director is and give him (or her) a call. That will get the issue resolved for you quickly.

They can take your VIN and give you a report of all warranty work that has been done on your car.

Still trying to get the service manager on the phone. I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Now the car is starting to exhibit the same systems again, suggesting that yet another coil is giving up the ghost.

JOEGR: the warranty info is greatly appreciated. I have run searches looking for the PDF you posted and have been unable to find it. Would you mind directing me to where it is?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Still trying to get the service manager on the phone. I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Now the car is starting to exhibit the same systems again, suggesting that yet another coil is giving up the ghost.

JOEGR: the warranty info is greatly appreciated. I have run searches looking for the PDF you posted and have been unable to find it. Would you mind directing me to where it is?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Here it is again. I had to zip it because the pdf wasn't accepted by this system.

Attachments

• R07M07%20dealer%20bulletin.zip
    61.1 KB · Views: 245

Members online

No members online now.
Back