if you had 50k

if i had 50K cash
i would take it then id morgage my house for the other 100 or 150k it would cost and get me a
1971 Supper Bird
mint Condition and if i couldn,t find that then id have to go with a
simple car like a
2002 Continental

2001LS8Sport said:
I WILL have one of those cars. I have an 04 Cobra now...and I can't wait to get the new one.

As to the live axle, believe me, the IRS is no bargain compared to the new set up in the Mustang. You can't launch an IRS without serious wheel hop unless you do some serious upgrades and tires. The IRS weighs a TON more than a live axle. The new Mustang has been outperforming some very exotic cars on the race track with the live axle. SVT says it's a non-issue. The live axle will perform every bit as well on the road track as an IRS...if not better. Different geometry than the traditional 4 link.

As to the weight, well, we'll see what it comes in at, buy my 04 vert is no light weight by any means and it still flys. Believe me, with this car approaching 500 hp, the weight won't seem to be a problem. As a matter of fact, it will give the car a nicer ride. I just can't wait!!!

On public roads, a live rear axle can't touch a good IRS. I already own a race car, so I want a suspension that rides well on public roads and won't swap ends when the rear hits a mid-corner bump. The Cobra IRS has a lower unsprung weight than a live axle (helps handling). I also owned a '96 SVT Cobra in addition to my '99. In a straight line, it won't matter if the Cobra is a slug weighing 3,8oo lbs., but If you want to turn and stop, you want the car to weigh less than 3,400 lbs. Trust me, don't believe all of the bull:q:q:q:q given out by SVT. I went through the '99 horsepower debacle!!!!

99 KOBRA said:
On public roads, a live rear axle can't touch a good IRS. I already own a race car, so I want a suspension that rides well on public roads and won't swap ends when the rear hits a mid-corner bump. The Cobra IRS has a lower unsprung weight than a live axle (helps handling). I also owned a '96 SVT Cobra in addition to my '99. In a straight line, it won't matter if the Cobra is a slug weighing 3,8oo lbs., but If you want to turn and stop, you want the car to weigh less than 3,400 lbs. Trust me, don't believe all of the bull:q:q:q:q given out by SVT. I went through the '99 horsepower debacle!!!!

It's not BS from SVT. It's already been proven the new 3 link performs and is a winner. There is no doubt about the value of an IRS, but it looks like it's not as big an issue as we thought. You are also correct about unsprung weight. It is the bane of any racing venue. But the unsprung weight of the IRS is not as much less than the straight axle as you would think. Those half shafts are VERY heavy. Half of their weight is unsprung.

I know one thing...my IRS is very nice when you hit a bump in a turn, but when you are in second gear and mash the throttle, the wheel hop is absurd and will jar your teeth out and break parts. The car won't hook and that will flip you around in a curve a lot faster than a bump. That is a non issue with the straight axle.

2001LS8Sport said:
It's not BS from SVT. It's already been proven the new 3 link performs and is a winner. There is no doubt about the value of an IRS, but it looks like it's not as big an issue as we thought. You are also correct about unsprung weight. It is the bane of any racing venue. But the unsprung weight of the IRS is not as much less than the straight axle as you would think. Those half shafts are VERY heavy. Half of their weight is unsprung.

I know one thing...my IRS is very nice when you hit a bump in a turn, but when you are in second gear and mash the throttle, the wheel hop is absurd and will jar your teeth out and break parts. The car won't hook and that will flip you around in a curve a lot faster than a bump. That is a non issue with the straight axle.

I agree that the stock Cobra IRS hops when you lose traction under hard acceleration. As I'm sure you're aware, you can improve that condition with some aftermarket parts (see blueovalnews.com and corral forums, etc.). My disappointment with the proposed Shelby Cobra, besides the weight, is that for the money they are going to want for it, I expected Ford to design an IRS that doesn't hop. I don't believe the Z06, M5, GTO, etc., have that problem. By the way, if you are mashing the throttle hard enough in mid-corner to cause the car to hop, a live rear axle isn't going to stop the oversteer! I know that the Mustang has been winning Grand Am Cup races this season and I'm stoked about that, but don't expect the competitors to remove their IRS and install a stick rear axle. The fact remains that a properly designed IRS is better (the LS suspension would be great for the Cobra!).

id by the cleanest 98 mk 8 and spend the rest on taken it to someone like TROY's

i would buy an 02 blackwood. and spend the rest on parts for it. I LOVE those trucks sooooooo much.

Pay off my LS, and do up my soon to be '90 Cavalier z24 to my liking and save the rest.

If I had to use the 50K for a car that would be tough, might just get a few cars I've always wanted/want: '06 Eclipse GT, SRT-4, '95 or so mr2, G35 coupe. List could go on.

I have had two Corvettes years ago So maybe another Vette or s Type Jag :admin
Before I bought my Mark I was going to get another Vette, But not new I bought the mark for two more seats that never get used?

Members online

Back