Idler pulley question for Electric fan swap

Lincoln LS

1. 00LincLS

00LincLS Active LVC Member

So I’m preparing to do the electric fan swap on my 00 V8. I’ve read in a few guides that you need the K061000 serpentine belt and you need to switch the unflanged pulley with a grooved one that fits the belt. I’ve looked at the diagram of the belt set up. Can anyone help me understand...

1. If the hydraulic system is going to be completely removed, why are we replacing the #2 pulley (unflanged) and not the #1 pulley (Hydraulic System)

2. What’s the purpose of changing the serpentine belt during the swap process?

Ive never done this swap and any information to help me understand is greatly appreciated.

05EBC5F6-9839-4C5E-9C2D-CEE34FD7BFAB.gif

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Here's what the gen II belt routing looks like.
    s6x~us~en~file=n0009888.gif~gen~ref.gif
    1 19A216 Belt idler pulley — unflanged
    2 10A352 Generator pulley
    3 8509 Coolant pump pulley
    4 6B209 Accessory drive belt tensioner
    5 3D673 Power steering pump pulley
    6 19D748 A/C clutch pulley
    7 6316 Crankshaft vibration damper

I would think that you are trying to get the gen I with the fan pump removed to route like the gen II that never had it.

3. 00LincLS

Why would I need to make the setup like a Gen 2 when some of the locations of the pullers are different sizes and in different locations?

4. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

All of the accessory pulleys should be the same size and the same location. The tensioner and idler pulleys change (size and type, not location), as well as the elimination of the hydraulic fan pump and one idler pulley.

I was just saying that it is a setup that works for your engine with all the accessories that you need to drive, and without the hydraulic fan pump. I'm sure there are other ways to do it too. I will stay out of it then.

5. 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

6. 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

7. FDR

FDR Dedicated LVC Member

2: serp belt size change
    when you take out the hydraulic pump, you shorten the total length of the belt route. It's more than what the tensioner can take up, so choosing a shorter belt lets the tensioner work as designed

1: changing the idler
    looking at the gen 2 diagram, you can see the alternator is mounted higher than gen 1. If you run the belt the same exact way, the belt will hit Idler #8 on its way from Water Pump #3 to Alternator #9. By changing the #2 Idler to a ribbed pulley and running the belt on the outiside of the idler, the belt now clears #8. I was given the p/n Gates 36327 for the replacement idler. Looks right, bought, haven't done the conversion yet

While it's possible to replace the Hydraulic pump pulley with an idler, its a cost-prohibitive option. You need to fabricate a mount for it and find a pulley to match. Swapping the existing pulley is easier, cheaper, and one less part to worry about. You can see the problem the V6 crowd has with the conversion in the above link

8. 00LincLS

Alright so if I’m understanding you correctly by changing the #2 (unflanged) pulley to a ribbed pulley and changing the belt to a ribbed belt (6 ribbed), while changing how the belt is running (from a Gen 1 V8 to a Gen 2 V8 setup) all I’d have to do is replace the pulley and there’d be no need for any additional parts. Just changing the pulley, belt, and direction of the belt?