Idle control valve issue

jlilley65

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Replaced IAC after code was thrown hard start and idles like it has a cam Still acts the same way and still
Throws the same code? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Shoot I'm sorry I forgot that part.
02 3.9.
I don't have the code number off hand. I'll get it today with my sct.
The car starts really hard. It cranks forever before starting and then once it starts you have to stay on the throttle for a bit and slowly let it idle down. Then it'll idle like it has a big cam no matter when you start it. The code is just for my IAC. Coils and plugs replaced about 20k ago. I replaced the valve but it's still doing the same thing.

thats weird. but the IAC won't do the big cam thing.
being a first gen V8, i wonder if you have a failed secondary tensioner, and one bank has jumped time.
if that's what happened, you should stop running the car immediately because further damage may result.

pulling the valve covers and looking at the tensioners may be a prudent choice.

The thing that I find odd is that it drives down the road perfectly fine. It overloads on fuel at idle I can smell it. It smells like the cats are getting hot as well at idle. Very rich fuel smell when started. The mufflers have been off the car for 2 years now so that why it sounds like it has a cam at idle. I just removed them and put tips on the car.

Besides the long crank start and rough idle the car runs great. That's what I don't understand? It's throwing only a code for the IAC on my sct tuner. No other codes.

huh, I wonder if you have a coil going out like most LSs... can definitely "overload on fuel" symptom, also a misfire at idle could throw off the idle like it had a huge cam...

interestingly enough, this problem also tends to not throw codes.

I had that issue before. I guess I'll get them checked out while I'm looking at it soon

I had that issue I changed to idle air control valve and the car runs fine but the same code for iac pops up any one have any thoughts or solution to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that issue I changed to idle air control valve and the car runs fine but the same code for iac pops up any one have any thoughts or solution to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post exactly which five character OBDII code(s) you are getting. There are more than one related to the IAC, and they mean different things. None of them mean that the IAC itself is definitely bad. They only give you the starting point to do more troubleshooting tests before determining what needs to be replaced/fixed.

Members online

Back