I'd rather be waxing

miatatomark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Any experience that car washes add to the demise of head light/tail light enclosures? Our local wash has a Wenesday special for $3 I run my Toyota through every week. I know hand washing is preferred, but any evidence that the jets/brushes add to the deterioration of light enclosures/seals? I'd rather spend that time waxing or cleaning underneath.

I'll never send mine through a car wash that slaps the sh!t out of it with a heavy, dirty, abrasive mop.

I agree. The new brushless "Lazerwash" stations are a little better because they don't have any nasty brushes that slap your car around. But nothing beats a good hand washing. I don't care how high the pressure is, it will never get all the dirt/dust/film/gunk off that hand washing will. It's basically money wasted.

The lazerwash that Thaywood refers to isn't good either in my opinion. Every time I get gas in my company van, I take it to the lazerwash. The chemicals are so strong, they started to eat the clear plastic on the tail lights. Also, the paint is peeling off the hood around the corners. The van is a 2008 Chevy. The chemicals are the only thing I can blame it on. The other guys that don't wash their vans as often have perfect paint on the hood and their tail lights look good as new.

The lazerwash that Thaywood refers to isn't good either in my opinion. Every time I get gas in my company van, I take it to the lazerwash. The chemicals are so strong, they started to eat the clear plastic on the tail lights. Also, the paint is peeling off the hood around the corners. The van is a 2008 Chevy. The chemicals are the only thing I can blame it on. The other guys that don't wash their vans as often have perfect paint on the hood and their tail lights look good as new.

Dude, it's a Chevy!! :lol: What do you expect? They paint those things with watercolor!:D Why do you think Chevys rust so bad?;)

They aren't called "DEATH TUNNELS" just to make you laugh. The only thing worse than washing your car with one of those is to wash it with 80 grit sandpaper.

car wash

I have'nt been to a car wash for over 14 years. I use a 4 ft RV soft brush. My neighbors know I'm nuts when they see me washing my cars in 34 degree weather. I have a small presser washer that I use to knock of the road snow, when needed. I.m in CT where they put salt on the roads. My 95 is basicly rust free. Here she is with her winter shoes

95 win tires.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back