IAC code 1506

98CobraStarLSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got a code 1506 for the IAC being fauly. It idles high most of the time..

I replaced the IAC with one from O'reily's about 2 weeks ago. It drove nice and i cleared the code..

about 2 days later it was at it again. and then i got the same code come up..!!!

I took the iac back to the store and exchanged it with another one. It still idles like crap and i have the same code..

Any ideas..?? i have the cobra manifold so i was thinking i might get a cobra iac? they have different part numbers so i dont know?

would a vacuum leak throw an IAC code though? i know it would explain the high idle.

The IAC is probably going all the way to one side of it's adjustment trying to correct the high idle speed....

Try this...

have someone start the car while you have the IAC UNPLUGGED.
have them hold the gas pedal at your desired idle speed THEN PLUG IN the IAC.

this should give the IAC valve a better shot at working correctly.
it'll only take about 3 minutes to try..

let us know if it works.

ALSO.. I know Tomball is a long ways from Friendswood.
BUT.. if you bring the car by.. I'll give it a look over with a "second set of eyes".

Recently we did the same thing for a guy out on the westside of town.
he had idle problems, we figured it was a vacuum leak.. he went around and around with the car... then finally brought it over.. within 2 minutes I had found the vacuum leak and solved his idle problem.

You'll spend more time driving over and back than the dianosis will take, but I'm willing to "take a stab at it".

Lemme know if you wanna do that and I'll PM you my cell#

Tommy

You could also grab a can of starting fluid.. spray it around the intake and vacuum lines while the motor is cold {for safety reasons)

IF there is a vaccum leak the starting fluid will cause the engine speed to raise up when you spray the area that's leaking.

just a thought from the far side, might save you a trip down to the dirtysoufside

Members online

No members online now.
Back