I woke up this morning and my Lincoln turned into a Low-Rider!!

Major Hal

LVC Member
Reaction score
My car is like 3 inches from the ground in the front......something tells me that the air-suspension is not suspending correctly or something.....the light has been comming on for days and I just thought something was wrong with the sensor, not the car.......I now think that I was wrong.

Anyway, I did'nt hear the compressor do that little, "eeeerrrrrr" sound in, so I'm inclined to think something ain't right!

I don't want to take it into the stealership or nothing because I'm very poor and spent my last $ on this freakin car I liked so much, and I'm thinking it may just be a fuse or a "relay" (whatever the heck that is, some dude said so).

Anyway, I don't have the manuel because I'm a lazy, unorganized jackass and I lost it, so could somebody tell me the number fuse that controls the air suspension system for a 1998 mark 8 so I can go check it? And tell me if it's in the fuse box under the hood or onside the door panel.

I know this is a relly dumb question, but it's also a really easy question to answer. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Hal

all my friends have low riders, the low ri-d-er drives a little slower......

See this http://www.americanairsuspension.com/MARK%20VIII%20AREA.htm

If the light is coming on immediately once you turn the car on its probably the relay (under the hood). I don't want to question your intelligence but did you try checking the switch in the trunk and make it was on? It seems odd that a '98 is having problems like a compressor or relay.

According to my info there's 3 different fuses associated with the system;
Eng. Comp. box
#13 and #4
I/P panel

Jibit said:
all my friends have low riders, the low ri-d-er drives a little slower......

See this http://www.americanairsuspension.com/MARK%20VIII%20AREA.htm

If the light is coming on immediately once you turn the car on its probably the relay (under the hood). I don't want to question your intelligence but did you try checking the switch in the trunk and make it was on? It seems odd that a '98 is having problems like a compressor or relay.

yea, I made sure the switch was on....but it takes about a minute or two before the sensor comes on saying "check air-ride system".......thank you very much for the info too. IT is odd b/c my car has only 73,000 miles.

and thanks Katshot! I'm gonna check it first thing after work today!

Man, I need some more help if possible, I messed up. I have a 97 not a 98, hey who knew?

Anyway, are the fuse numbers still the same?

Also, this low-rider drives WAY slower, and when I turn the wheels they graze the fender...that can't be good right.

Anyway, the mechanic I want to take it to is like 15-20 miles away, is it safe to drive it in that condition......it takes more gas to go too, feels like I'm tugging a trailor....am I better off must getting a wrecker?

Oh, and I don't think it's the relays. I checked them....we'll at least the #4 on on the box inside the hood......but maybe that was wrong b/c those were the directions Katshot gave me for a 98? and I just realized I have a 97.

Any advice would help very much, thank yall.

Major Hal said:
My car is like 3 inches from the ground in the front......something tells me that the air-suspension is not suspending correctly or something.....the light has been comming on for days and I just thought something was wrong with the sensor, not the car.......I now think that I was wrong.

Anyway, I did'nt hear the compressor do that little, "eeeerrrrrr" sound in, so I'm inclined to think something ain't right!

I don't want to take it into the stealership or nothing because I'm very poor and spent my last $ on this freakin car I liked so much, and I'm thinking it may just be a fuse or a "relay" (whatever the heck that is, some dude said so).

Anyway, I don't have the manuel because I'm a lazy, unorganized jackass and I lost it, so could somebody tell me the number fuse that controls the air suspension system for a 1998 mark 8 so I can go check it? And tell me if it's in the fuse box under the hood or onside the door panel.

I know this is a relly dumb question, but it's also a really easy question to answer. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Hal

Does the compressor come on at all? If it does that means that you most likely have a leak somewhere. If it is only the front that is down, then you most likely have a leaky bag in the front. If the suspension light has been coming on for some time now, that usually means you have had a leak for some time now. Also, you may need to get a new compressor as well if it is making any kind of noise, or has been overworking itself for a long period of time.

There are 3 fuses, a 10A fuse on the fuse panel in the car #28, the other 2 are under the hood, one is #4, and the other is #13.

I would call Max @ 5 Star Ford 1-800-866-1520 ext. 236 for the front airstruts, and Eddie at American Air Suspensions for the rebuilt compressor.....if that is what you need.

I hope this helps....also you have mail.

What do you mean "the light" Does your computer screen say "Check Air Ride System" when you run the System Check...

I went thru this... my car was so low that a "special" flat bed had to pick it up and even that "special" flat bed hurt the undercarriage of my car... get it fixed before the ass-end drops down too, I was all four side down, to the ground, made Cheech and Chong look TALL.

It was the O-Rings on the main line for the Compressor...

Run CARFAX on it NOW.... $10 says this car SAT for a long time.

Major Hal said:
Anyway, the mechanic I want to take it to is like 15-20 miles away, is it safe to drive it in that condition......it takes more gas to go too, feels like I'm tugging a trailor....am I better off must getting a wrecker?
What size tires are on the car? Sounds like they are rubbing inside the fenderwells. I would NOT drive the car too far if that is the case. Check first to be safe.

hottweelz said:
What do you mean "the light" Does your computer screen say "Check Air Ride System" when you run the System Check...

I went thru this... my car was so low that a "special" flat bed had to pick it up and even that "special" flat bed hurt the undercarriage of my car... get it fixed before the ass-end drops down too, I was all four side down, to the ground, made Cheech and Chong look TALL.

It was the O-Rings on the main line for the Compressor...

Run CARFAX on it NOW.... $10 says this car SAT for a long time.

you're right, the car did sit for a while b/f I bought it. The battery was dead and everything.

I did mean the computer, not the light.

It still rides, but it's bumpy as heck, and the wheels scrape when I turn. The mechanic I like is about 15 miles, but it's pretty much a straight shot....should I chance it. The back is dropping fast too, but no tires are rubbing unless I turn or hit a bump or something.....what could I mess up....besides the tires?

MonsterMark said:
What size tires are on the car? Sounds like they are rubbing inside the fenderwells. I would NOT drive the car too far if that is the case. Check first to be safe.

I have 16 inch rims, but I'm not sure what size tires it is......I hope I don't mess them up though.

hottweelz said:
I thought about this all day...

For me it was the same .. first my FRONT went, then within 24-48 hours by rear went... O-Rings to Main Line of the Compressor....

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=971

Theres the thread u want to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the mechanic.....he said that everything is pretty much covered under my warrenty, except if the springs are dry rotted.

I don't know much about cars, but are'nt springs usually metal....and don't stuff have to be rubber to dry-rot?

It looks like I'll be back in business in a few days hopefully, but I'm eager to learn the reason why it broke.

Now I just gotta get that darn sunroof fixed

Major Hal said:
I just got back from the mechanic.....he said that everything is pretty much covered under my warrenty, except if the springs are dry rotted.

I don't know much about cars, but are'nt springs usually metal....and don't stuff have to be rubber to dry-rot?

It looks like I'll be back in business in a few days hopefully, but I'm eager to learn the reason why it broke.

Now I just gotta get that darn sunroof fixed

he's talking bout the springs which in our car's are airbags.. weather crack, wear -n-tear, for if its the bags which you need to find out before he works on it and order them from one of the sources here unless you can get them cheap somewhere too,

yea, it could have been the sunroof that this whole mess started. They said that possibly b/c it's broke and I did get water damage one night on the passenger side, that it could have wet some kind of module or something around the pasanger side floorboard that controls the air suspension system.

In any case, my mechanic could'nt fix it b/c the ford firewalls would'nt let his computer diagnose my care correctly. So yesterday I took it into the stealership, but my warrenty supposedly will pay......who knows.

this is one big mess, I had to walk 3 miles in the cold rain yesterday from the dealership to my old mechanic...now I'm the one with water damage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back