I want my car FASTER!!!

Lincolnpimpin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey yall I got a 97 Lincoln Continental and I want it faster. Anyone out there know what I could do. Im thinking about getting hyperteck system for it witch is around $340. Anyone who has a idea please post it.

:L

Hypertech is garbage. You'll see better gains pouring sugar into your gas tank. The abolute first thing you have to upgrade is the exhuast. Upgrade from the trashy and extremely restrictive quasi-dual to true dual/ XX-pipe with a pair of high flow mufflers/ cats. That's the biggest difference.

Next, fix that damn transaxle with a shift kit and a chip.

Port and polish the heads and intake for the best gain. But that'll cost you some dough, but make a HUGE difference in power in these engines.

See this old post...
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=4240

sorry but this will help
MONEY($$$)=RWHP
very simple today I did the math and if I did not somke and really quit in two years I have $5000 to put in to my car.

this is something that i would like to know to. Good posts. I think there are Steeda pullies available for the Conti or can be used on the Conti? What differences do those make?

I haven't gotten under the car to look at the exhaust setup but i wonder how much a shop would charge for true duals - the mufflers.

Is there anything better on the intake side besides remove resonator/k&N/ drill holes in box?

-headers...i know there are long headers but would Cobra shorty headers bolt up without much fuss?

If i think of something else ill post.

We can handle all your performance needs. Give me a ring so we can discuss some options for you. I would be glad to help.

this is something that i would like to know to. Good posts. I think there are Steeda pullies available for the Conti or can be used on the Conti? What differences do those make?

Yes, those will work. It'll be a PITA installing them in such a tight space, though. I've never had underdrives, but those who buy them say it makes a slight difference.

Is there anything better on the intake side besides remove resonator/k&N/ drill holes in box?

No, removing the resonator and installing a K&N should give you a better sound and response.

headers...i know there are long headers but would Cobra shorty headers bolt up without much fuss?

96-02 shorties will bolt-up, but you may have fittment issues because of the FWD setup. But in theory, yes they should bolt-up.

thanks for all the feedback. Most important question..........is it even worth it to mod a Conti?! I mean FWD with a Taurus tranny.............No, im not spending $1500 or something on a new tranny. Im talking boltons........is it worth it on the Conti? Big improvements?

How much does a Conti weigh and what 1/4 times does it run stock?

Is it worth it? Wll, that's up to you. I can tell you that one or two mods won't do a damn thing, but a combination of exhaust, underdrives, resonator delete, etc. will give you a boost. Hell, I think the exhaust alone will be a world of difference. But in the end, it's up to you. There are bolt-ons and SHO Taurus swaps, so don't think you can't do anything to make your ride faster...

Lastly, a Lincoln Continental weighs around 3680 IIRC. The 1/4 mile times for stock are around 15.4-15.7...

evillally said:
Is it worth it? Wll, that's up to you. I can tell you that one or two mods won't do a damn thing, but a combination of exhaust, underdrives, resonator delete, etc. will give you a boost. Hell, I think the exhaust alone will be a world of difference. But in the end, it's up to you. There are bolt-ons and SHO Taurus swaps, so don't think you can't do anything to make your ride faster...

Lastly, a Lincoln Continental weighs around 3680 IIRC. The 1/4 mile times for stock are around 15.4-15.7...
I have tried to go to the shop they sed true dual exsuat isn,t leagle in Ohio
sounds like bull :q:q:q:q anything i can do will the car realy not pass exheck if i have a true dual converssion done

i didn't to true dual but insted a muffler delete..
cost me about 80-90$ with labor and turn-down tips
....as of right now it's my only mod, and i did feel a slight jump in power, however, i did lose a little low-end torque. which was expected. (still has plenty of torque to knock you to the back of the seat on takeoff lol)
here's some vids

YouTube - 0-60 6.48 Sec Lincoln Continental (MODDED)

the muffler delete took my stock 0-60 time of 7.5 down to 6.48 (which doesnt make much sence as thats my only mod lol)

outside video
YouTube - Lincoln Continental V8 (muffler delete-normal drive)

and another video of the hot rod conti
lol
YouTube - The Hot Rod Lincoln Continental

edmunds says that my 96 conti is Curb Weight: 3911 lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/lincoln/continental/2823/specs.html

and the 02 is Curb Weight: 3848 lbs.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/lincoln/continental/100002469/specs.html

sounds good. My wife used to drive the conti the most, at one point I made it open headers sort of by putting a 3/4 in gap between the exhaust pipe right after the cats. Wow sounded mean and moved much better. As most people know this trans is not for the spirted driver. My freshly shop rebuilt trans went only 15K miles of driving with the most of the driving being nice.

I had the belt driven water pump replaced with an meziere electric on my 98 towncar i had before and it seemed to noticable. If im not mistaken several members on mercurymarauder.net dynod before and after with like a 15 hp rwhp gain. They get into more specifics as I think the gain varies a bit on the rpm if i remeber correctly. It is a couple hundred bucks if they have one to fit the conti but if yours is already this old its probably near its end anyways.

Holy old thread... if you want to go fast for a cheap I'd just toss on a 100 dry shot of nitrous and call it a day.

what kind of SHO swaps? how about the 5spd man trans?

thats what i was wondering, to use the taurus SHO (mazda) transmission.
automatic.
i need to know soon because mine's about to go and i want a stronger transmission.:cool:

Take the negative cable off the battery and jump on the highway. Top it out and eventually you'll kill the speed limiter.
You could also drill a hole in the box under the air intake, it'll suck more air in and give you a little more.

Haven't tested this, but I know cops who do this to their interceptors

Last edited:
dont' be so dumb. If you want to remove the speed limiter, just have the EEC reprogrammed. I know a guy who does it for $100 here. It is just a parameter in a table and all you have to do is blank it out. Or, buy an aftermarket chip.

Members online

No members online now.
Back