i raced a 300ZX turbo and a passat

hotrodLSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
both were 5spd cars. the 300zx was from a stop the first time and he got me by 2cars, then i bumped the timing from 10 degrees to 13 and i beat him by 1/2 car. then i raced the VW with a 5spd V6 and beat him by 1 1/2 cars. that sure was nice. :L

how did you "bump" the timing? Was it on the fly? or did you go home, retune, the race again?

me and some buddies were sitting in a parking lot last night and got the timing light and distributor tool(just to loosen the hold down bolt so it will turn) hit light on the crank and turned the distributor to 13 degrees. we went to an idustrial park here. i spun pretty good but was able to stay ahead. manually shifted at 5500 rpm. also, a friend was out there with his 93 t-bird S/C. he raced the 300z and beat him also. we had fun, that is for sure. anymore info you want let me know. :L

BTW: all i have done to my car is an o/r H-pipe, home made cold air kit, and the bummped timing.

What year 300ZX was it? Must haev been running like crap. Even an automatic late 80's 300ZX single turbo would hand a Lincoln it's ass if it was running halfway decent (stock).

just trying to be realistic with you. Dont want you going around thinking you can beat every 300ZX turbo you come across....

never said i could beat any of them. it was about an 84-85 or so. it wasn't smoking or anything like that. it seemed to running fine. i raced him earlier that day and he beat me by like 2 cars or so. i bumped my timing and i beat him by 1/2 a car. a buddy ran him many times with his 93 t-bird s/c stock and beat him every time. i also raced a stock 88-89 mustang lx convertable 5.0 auto and he beat me by 2 cars tonight. i am hoping that the next time i go back to the track, i car run a low low 10 or high 9 in the 1/8.

Disney said:
What year 300ZX was it? Must haev been running like crap. Even an automatic late 80's 300ZX single turbo would hand a Lincoln it's ass if it was running halfway decent (stock).

just trying to be realistic with you. Dont want you going around thinking you can beat every 300ZX turbo you come across....
The 300 had a slow leak and the driver had a sprained ankle. Dude got a kill.

He will NOT try that with a total stranger.

hotrodLSC said:
never said i could beat any of them. it was about an 84-85 or so. it wasn't smoking or anything like that. it seemed to running fine. i raced him earlier that day and he beat me by like 2 cars or so. i bumped my timing and i beat him by 1/2 a car. a buddy ran him many times with his 93 t-bird s/c stock and beat him every time. i also raced a stock 88-89 mustang lx convertable 5.0 auto and he beat me by 2 cars tonight. i am hoping that the next time i go back to the track, i car run a low low 10 or high 9 in the 1/8.

Keep pluggin' away...you'll get there. :woowoo2:

I've never posted a kill story, of course I don't participate half as much as I'd like too here. But you guys think a 300Z from like 88 would "Hand a Lincoln" it's ass? Someone's driving their Lincoln on 87 Octane with Bricks in the trunk ... It's all about how you drive and what you've done to what you drive. I should post a kill story or two. And remember, if you know me, my hands operate the gas and break... blows people's mind.

all i have done is o/h pipe, home made cai, bumped timing, and yes, i run 93 in the tank. i have no weight reduction or anything. when i raced that 300zx, i was manual shifting. going by the tach, i was shifting at 5500rpm. if i leave it in drive, it shifts at 4500.

honestly, i really think my car would run faster then a 16.5 in the 1/4. i think i could probably get a 16.0-15.7 atleast. this car is so much faster on top end then my truck was, and i was running a 15.96@84.5mph in the 1/4 with it. i have taken it to 1/8 once, and i ran a 10.5@67mph. the car is faster now, so i am hoping to get about a 10.0@70-72mph now. i guess i will never know till i can get back to the track. as soon as i do, i will definatly let you guys know though.

Before the 4.10s, my car was running high 15s/low 16s. After the gears, it was mid 15s. These cars feel fast, but they're not really all that fast when it comes to track numbers.

Just to give you an idea, closest slip I can find (of mine) to your 10.5 @ 67 in the 1/8th is this one:

60' - 2.405
330 - 6.874
1/8 - 10.531
MPH - 67.28
1000 - 13.684
1/4 - 16.358
MPH - 84.34

And that was with pretty much the same stuff you have done. But, the only real way to find out is running the car. :Beer

NYC LSC said:
Before the 4.10s, my car was running high 15s/low 16s. After the gears, it was mid 15s. These cars feel fast, but they're not really all that fast when it comes to track numbers.

Just to give you an idea, closest slip I can find (of mine) to your 10.5 @ 67 in the 1/8th is this one:

And that was with pretty much the same stuff you have done. But, the only real way to find out is running the car. :Beer
That is what I was running when I first met you up at Englishtown! On stock tires with no burn out, I slipped down the track in like 17.9 seconds. The engine only had an air box delete, platinum plags, 9mm wires and the new distributor cap and rotor.

I put the soft rubber on the front and back and did like 15.9 I then put the stock tires back on the front (shaved about 50 pounds off) and left that day with like a 15.579@87.63 against Randy.

i ran that 10.5 with nothing done to my car. i have done these mods since i was at the track. that is why i was saying that it feels faster then it did then. i want to take it back with the mods done.

I RACED A BENTLY CONTINENTAL (turbo or super'd) AND I...got my ass handed to me. :) i do have my fun time smoking the GT's (especially my friends Brand new 04 GT.) i dont like to race her much, but i do like to do tricks (not jkust burnouts and donuts)

Members online

No members online now.
Back