I need opinions on my new grille setup *pics*

northstar11

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well here it is. Not really a new idea, kinda got the idea from quickls when he installed the same thing on his lower grille. I decided to try the same thing with the upper grille as well. I also just removed the front bracket, and still need to get bumper plugs, so please exuse the gaping holes. Its a blizzard rite now in wisconsin, so I dint get a chance to wash the thing, or take many outside pics.
This mod included:
Removing front liscence plate bracket
Painting the OE gille gloss black
Painting lower grille gloss black
Fine mesh behind both grilles
Total cost, about $50, 2 1/2 hours labor.

Well, what do you think??? YES or NO

HPIM3942.JPG

HPIM3956.JPG

HPIM3947.JPG

HPIM3945.JPG

HPIM3948.JPG

HPIM3952.JPG

HPIM3953.JPG

HPIM3957.JPG

HPIM3958.JPG

HPIM3942.JPG

HPIM3956.JPG

HPIM3947.JPG

HPIM3945.JPG

HPIM3948.JPG

HPIM3952.JPG

HPIM3953.JPG

HPIM3957.JPG

HPIM3958.JPG

Unique.

To me it looks a little busy with the mesh going horizontal and the original going vertical, IMHO.

Good job on the project, very professional.

I'm not crazy about having a shiny grill behind a black grill. I would paint it a much darker gray.
Looks like you did a good job on the install.

I like it. Only thing I'd change is maybe paint the mesh a darker gray, or even black. It would be subtle and still different.

:Beer

NYC LSC said:
I like it. Only thing I'd change is maybe paint the mesh a darker gray, or even black. It would be subtle and still different.

What about painting the grille to mach the car? Would that be dark enuf do ya think?

NYC LSC said:

:Beer

I agree....a little darker would be the way to go, it would give it the custom look without the "look at this" factor. I still like it though!

northstar11 said:
What about painting the grille to mach the car? Would that be dark enuf do ya think?

Honestly, it'd be easier to paint the mesh. Trying to get paint to stick on a chromed grille is a pain in the ass. I did it on my 92 LSC, and after a few months it was flaking off. Unless you can scuff that chrome plating off, use some etching primer, then paint and some clear you might be able to get away with it.

NYC LSC said:
Honestly, it'd be easier to paint the mesh. QUOTE]

Yea, thats what I meant, painting the mesh. Maybe if I put the same color on the mesh as the car, it would take the shine off of it and make it look darker. But it minght not make that big of a differance, I might need to go darker.

Ill try to post a few more outside pics. I looked at it after I got it outside, and it wasnt near as noticeable is it is on the pics. When I took the pics in the garage, I had really bright lights shining on the grille eara, and it really made it stand out.

just watch out for state troopers since you do not have a front plate on your car. i also had my plate and bracket off and i got pulled over 5 times. 3 of those times were going to sturgeon bay, all by state troopers. i have since put the plate back on

northstar11 said:
Well, what do you think??? YES or NO

Well, I think MAYBE. my opinion is put the lower black grille back to stock, and leave the rest alone. although if i were to do this, my final setup would be as follows, LSE grille with the chrome middle with the mesh like you got behind it, and the lower grille stock color with the mesh you got behind it. and clear the corners. :D :D :D
just my .02 cents

edit: regardless i like the way you did this

it's an interesting concept but I personally think it makes your front end look cheap and like crap. Get some Chrome up on their :D oh and i'd keep the front license plate holder and put a nice lincoln plate on the front to hide the holes and make a nice additional focal point on your front end. Just my .2

i say keep it just definitely clear those corners and maybe paint the mesh a bit darker to kinda hid it in with the shadows of the grille make it not AS noticable but if u actuallyy do look for it u can see it good i say a dark grey would be hott

LS_KiNG said:
i say keep it just definitely clear those corners

How hard and exspensive is that. Do you just take the headlight apart and pull the orange out? That is somethin that really needs done soon

northstar11 said:
How hard and exspensive is that. Do you just take the headlight apart and pull the orange out? That is somethin that really needs done soon

It is extremely simple as long as u have the grey sealent not black which u should have anyway...all u have to do is put your headlights in the oven and then pop off the orange but i will try to get you the tutorial when i get home if no one else sends it first but i think if u go to ken's website he has it on there

LS_KiNG said:
It is extremely simple as long as u have the grey sealent not black which u should have anyway...all u have to do is put your headlights in the oven and then pop off the orange but i will try to get you the tutorial when i get home if no one else sends it first but i think if u go to ken's website he has it on there

http://www.lskoncepts.com/LSK Headlight Guide.pdf

there is 3 screws in the back of the headlight that hold the headlight in the car.
first you need to remove the 2 plastic rad covers, one under the hood latch and the one above the radiator. after you take those 2 plastic covers off its a matter of turning 3 screws and taking out the bulbs.

Wow, that looks easy enuf. So after I get the orange out, do need to change bulbs in the corner, or is the bulb already orange? Also, where do I get that sealant?

it's different, overall I'd say I like it, looks well put pogether for a DIY job, Kudos!

northstar11 said:
Wow, that looks easy enuf. So after I get the orange out, do need to change bulbs in the corner, or is the bulb already orange? Also, where do I get that sealant?

the bulbs in the corner burn white, therefore you need one that burns orange. you can get the silicone sealant at ace hardware and other places of that nature.

jrockcentral1 said:
it's different, overall I'd say I like it, looks well put pogether for a DIY job, Kudos!

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, guys! I wanted something that I never have seen on an LS before. I personaly like how it looks. Always ways to inprove on it tho, it never ends:D

Staff online

Members online

Back