I need a new battery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

nick88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i'm gettinb ready to sell my LS. Does it have to have avented battery because i have a brand new one that i pulled out of my buddies mustang. So what im asking is what will happen if i use a non vented battery.

Thnaks
Nick in Kansas

i'm gettinb ready to sell my LS. Does it have to have avented battery because i have a brand new one that i pulled out of my buddies mustang. So what im asking is what will happen if i use a non vented battery.

Thnaks
Nick in Kansas

Gassed hydrogen from the battery will build up in the trunk. Depending on how much the trunk is opened (hydrogen is lighter than air) the build-up could be insignificant or substantial. Substantial build-up could cause a small hydrogen bomb. I would get the correct battery. Wouldn't you hate to be liable in a worse-case situation?

You have a battery that doesn't vent? Or you have a battery that vents but its not connected with the venting hose?

hhhhhhmmmmmmm..........idk. id like 2 just put the new mustang battery in it:shifty:

Or you could rig up a vent like other members who replaced theirs' with yellowtops and whatnot.

Yeah its not hard to stick some vent tubes on it and done

dont screw the new owner, do the right thing and by the correct battery. Hydrogen gas needs to be vented to avoid an explosion in the trunk.

i would make sure that the mustang battery doesn't have a vent just with out a tube that you could just connect your tube to,

BTW we just bought a battery from sears for our conti, looks about the same size and had a vent to connect a tube to - $90

So ive got 2 go buy a $150 battery. I hate this car
Wow, that's way overpriced! Go pickup either a group 85 or 86 batt at NAPA, both will work fine. The difference is one has a higher CCA and dual vents (just seal one off) and is a more common size so it's a little cheaper.

Try a Bat Shop

Bought new one from Bat shop $85 installed. 650 CCA 5 yr. $120 from dealer. Spoke to owner and he didnt seemed to concerned as to venting issues with car trunk. When you think about it if LM wanted the trunk to be airtight sure as :q:q:q:q it leaks air. Good Luck To All

When you think about it if LM wanted the trunk to be airtight sure as :q:q:q:q it leaks air. Good Luck To All

When you really think about, it if there was not an issue, LM would not have vented the battery when it was located in the trunk.

When you think about, it if there was not an issue, LM would not have vented the battery when it was located in the trunk.

Yes, of course there is an issue. The trunk is not nearly air-tight. It vents into the cabin. In an adverse event, like a wreak that causes the electrical system to short, the battery will vent hydrogen into the trunk. From there it will go into the cabin. There, it has a good chance of igniting, and adding major burns and/or death to what ever other injuries the occupants might have. As long as you [redbed] have little assets and even less conscious, you have nothing to worry about.

This is the stuff from the common sense post. if you are willing to put someone else at risk, or don't have the money to fix something correctly, don't buy a car!!!
I dont care if you want to hurt yourself, but stop cutting corners because you are too cheap to fix it right.
10th grade chemistry will tell you what happens to hydrogen gas when it meets up with a spark.

Mustang battery installed. 02 black on black sold yesterday with 118k for $5500. Next up............06 GTO:D. Wanna race

Mustang battery installed. 02 black on black sold yesterday with 118k for $5500. Next up............06 GTO:D. Wanna race

Assuming you didn't vent the battery, did you advise the buyer he was buying/driving a potential hydrogen bomb?

Wow, really? Karma's a real bitch, dude. What if this guy brings his family out to dinner, gets in a wreck, and the hydrogen explosion causes his entire family to die? Guess who's gonne be calling the authorities in your area? I'll keep a lookout in your local publications/news. I bet they'd send you to prison for a while for knowingly installing a bomb into a car you sold.

Shoulda just sold it without the battery.

People like this piss me off. No respect for innocent others, just their own pocketbook.

10th grade chemistry will tell you what happens to hydrogen gas when it meets up with a spark.

I think you guy's are going a little overboard with this "hydrogen gas is too dangerous" crap, I mean come on, they used to fill blimps with this sh!t, and that didn't turn out too badly, oohhh wait, it did turn out pretty bad.:(

I'd be surprised if the hydrogen concentration would reach a concentration that'd be flammable, its possible I guess, but unlikely.

The more likely issue will be from hydrogen sulfide being released and corroding the inside of the trunk, the spare, and the power distribution box back there.

Either way putting the mustang battery in without tell the buyer it should be vented was cheap. Sell it without the battery, or let the buyer know that the battery should be vented, but this one is free if he wants it. Maybe karma will come around his new GTO will have a blown head gasket, sold cheap because the seller knew.

Members online

No members online now.
Back