I Need a Favor

balboa454

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone take a picture of their cowl, especially where the two cowls meet on a 1998 Mark VIII please? I noticed my passenger floor wet and there is a noticeable gap on the windshield where the two pieces of cowl meet. It's too cold and drizzly now to do anything except I put some Gorilla tape to cover the gap temporarily.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Im not sure exactly where you mean. If you could post a picture of where you think its coming in, I'll do like wise of that specific area and post it all tho mine is a 97 it shouldn't be any difference.

Thanks very much. Here are the pics.

20200320_185418.jpg
20200320_185426.jpg

Mine is about the same as yours and I have no water leak. That plastic cowl cover has little to do with keeping water out of the car. If I were with your problem, the first place to check is sun roof gasket dry rot if you have one. Then check your door gaskets to see if they are still soft and pliable. Sillicon gasket spray will keep them lasting much longer than keeping them dry. Another place of intruision is the cowl fresh intake port that lives under the pictured cover. There is a seam around the hole mouth that should be nicly sealed with a product from 3M called joint & seam sealer. Its possible that there is a crack in the old seam sealer where water is getting in. Also, there should be a drain hole at some point in that air intake channel that is plugged with dabree. In that case you should be able to spot a water track out from around the floor vent & area. As you can see, it can be a bit frustrating to find the leak but keep a sharp eye out for the drip track to the carpet area. hopefully, its an easy find.

Mine is about the same as yours and I have no water leak. That plastic cowl cover has little to do with keeping water out of the car. If I were with your problem, the first place to check is sun roof gasket dry rot if you have one. Then check your door gaskets to see if they are still soft and pliable. Sillicon gasket spray will keep them lasting much longer than keeping them dry. Another place of intruision is the cowl fresh intake port that lives under the pictured cover. There is a seam around the hole mouth that should be nicly sealed with a product from 3M called joint & seam sealer. Its possible that there is a crack in the old seam sealer where water is getting in. Also, there should be a drain hole at some point in that air intake channel that is plugged with dabree. In that case you should be able to spot a water track out from around the floor vent & area. As you can see, it can be a bit frustrating to find the leak but keep a sharp eye out for the drip track to the carpet area. hopefully, its an easy find.

I replaced the foam on the cowl by the air intake. Once my carpeting dries out I will see if that works. The sun roof seems fine. I did not check the doors. Thanks for the advice. Where is this drain hole by the air intake? I didn't see one.

Im not absolutely sure there is one on the mark, I'v seen other vehicles that have a small hole drain out of the intake air channel at some low point in the channel. I don't remember the model but its something to keep an eye out for just in case.

Im not absolutely sure there is one on the mark, I'v seen other vehicles that have a small hole drain out of the intake air channel at some low point in the channel. I don't remember the model but its something to keep an eye out for just in case.

Ok thanks

I had this problem.
Port that lives under the pictured cover. There is a seam around the hole mouth that should be sealed.

If you really want to find the leak? Fill the interior with non fragrance smoke and close the doors. This should be done indoors so you can view the exiting smoke. I know this sounds crazy, but it works! I called a local DJ and rented his smoke machine, I used this procedure on my Ford F-150. Good luck.

If you really want to find the leak? Fill the interior with non fragrance smoke and close the doors. This should be done indoors so you can view the exiting smoke. I know this sounds crazy, but it works! I called a local DJ and rented his smoke machine, I used this procedure on my Ford F-150. Good luck.

Good idea. Thanks very much.

I have a leak in my '71 Ranchero I can't find. I'm definetly gonna take this advice.

Great find B88. Everyone should get a big heads up on this eventual issue. ;)

Members online

Back