I know we are all gear heads here but....

Outkast

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
does anyone here race? I mean really race...not midnight madness but a real race car?

I'm an ex dirt track guy and i'm getting the bug to start again. I'd like to hear some stories..pics...or whatever..

ok..or any other addictions (not drug or hooker related) away from the LS?

I'm also into motorcycles.....ride race whatever...

I go go-cart racing once a year with a bunch of guys. We take it pretty seriously though. Does that count?

Been Know to do some racing in the wheelchair at times
wheelchair-1.gif

i'll upload more when i get home, but this is the only pic i have here

1358868653_m.gif

Never been behind the wheel myself, but a few years back my buddy's father was really big into dirt track racing. He raced a nova with a built 350 i think... either way, it was quuuuick! lol. Spent alot of time at the races, but he never let me enter into the Jr. races with it:(

Yeah, I raced a class called factory stock. These are four cylinder cars, n/a with a maximum of 108" wheelbase. It is designed to be an entry level deal, but soon escalated.

People started with tempo's and novas and crx's but soon pushed to late model cars to keep up. when your putting up a 82hp tempo against a 132hp neon....things change.

It was really fun, now you can run sohc or dohc...so my next car will prolly be a newer neon. both of my old cars were first gen neons.

after I left those I raced about half a season in a bomber which was a 82 malibu with a 350....i've got to get back into it.....i loved that shiot.

Not racing currently due to "economic uncertainty", but I've done a fair bit of it over the years. Raced Motocross and Enduros when I was in school. Bracket raced a '69 GTX and then later a couple of Fox body Mustangs. Earned enough points to go to Indy twice. Karts back in the day. Still do it every once in a while. Raced in the winter racing leagues in 2007/2008 at "The Pit" in Mooresville, NC. What's fun about that is you are racing alot of NASCAR regulars and up and comers. Did an "Iron Man" race at Pole Position in OKC last year, placed 6th and ran the second fastest lap of the race my first time there. I was working for US Army Racing and the later TRD when they entered the Cup and Nationwide series but there's not alot of work in NASCAR right now. I also built and ran SCCA C Prepared Mustangs and did alot of SCCA Solo/Autocross. Been able to get behind the wheel of alot of cool race and street cars over the years. Even got my LS out on the track at Virginia International Raceway when we were doing testing there. While it is not a race car by any means, it impressed all of us with how well it handled and drove. I'm not done by any means and once the current economic situation turns around I'm thinking about Shifter Karts. They are ridiculously quick, closest thing to an F1 ride you can get and they are reasonably affordable. They are also so demanding that I could spend the next 10 years trying to master them and if I win the lottery I want one of these.

Darth-Vader_Ariel-Atom lvc.jpg

yup...thats what I'm talking about.....nice story..

If I had enough money, I think I'd build a brand new late model and race UMP

I like all types of racing, forgot to mention I did run two scca road races in a neon too and enjoyed it, but the dirt has so much excitment, it always draws me back in.

I went to a "tryout" once and got to drive a featherlite asphalt modified in KC...that was a hell of a feeling!

I used to drag race my 87 LSC. IT went from a 16 second wonder stock, to a 12 second terror on street tires.....before I blew a head gasket 800 miles from home. I then wrestled with getting AFRs or parting the thing out. Then I bought the LS and couldn't afford to throw more money into it, so parting out won. I have pics and videos in my photo gallery. I'd post them, but I'm on the woman's laptop...and I hate laptops. Too much of a PITA to copy and paste links.

neons?? I havent been to a dirt race in about 6 years, but I have NEVER seen anyone down here run a neon. lol, Idk... I may be wrong, but I think going form a 350nova to a 4banger neon is a down grade

neons?? I havent been to a dirt race in about 6 years, but I have NEVER seen anyone down here run a neon. lol, Idk... I may be wrong, but I think going form a 350nova to a 4banger neon is a down grade

believe it or not, gutted and caged a neon is pretty quick. I had a 98r/t street car once and stock it was a 15.90 car...thats pretty quick if you ask me...once again...power to weight ratio comes into play. Its been a while but if I remember right, my neon weight 1800 and some change in race trim, with 130bhp.

As far as lap times, our "faster" cars had the same lap times as the avg bombers/street stocks.

we tried to get a consi once to race them, but alot of those guys didn't wanna get beat by a "slower"car.

Fwd car had an advantage too since they handled better and came out of corners way faster...

That racing looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I don't care if it is a 4 banger. A small car like that going around a tight track. Rubbin' is racin'

more fun that you could imagine...the adrenaline alone makes you wanna kill things...lol

Members online

Back