I know im dumb but how screwed am I?

ilovemyls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So i spent about 5 hours today working on changing the coils, plugs, and vcgs at a local auto hobby shop, was putting the valve cover back on the passenger side and when i was tightening one of the bolts in the center of the valve cover where the coils are, it snapped, at least im pretty sure it did, it went completely loose and wont screw into anything anymore, i had pretty much all the bolts tightened back on. the shop was closing so i didnt get a chance to take the valve cover off to see all the damage to the bolt, i cant go back til friday so my car is just sitting there right now...so if the bolt did break off like im pretty sure it did what the hell should i do, i heard about something called a bolt extractor which will reverse drill into the bolt then it can be pulled out that way.. other than that i have no idea

If you are lucky when you take the valve cover back off the bolt will have broken off above the surface of the head. If that is the case then maybe you could grab it with vice grips. Otherwise bolt extractors might work.

Bolt extractor will work.

And after getting the bolt out and if everything is still good with the head and all.

Tap & dye it with a bit bigger size bolt and your
problem will be fixed. :D

Even if it's broken so short as to leave little to grip, it's possible to set a nut on and then zap it with a welder to fasten the nut and bolt together. The Heat will help and it should be possible to simply unscrew the whole works.

KS

That happen to me on a couple bolts. Luckily, those are the easiest bolt to extract. You local Auto Zone sells the exact replace bolts and the bolt extractor with the drill bit. Put some towels around your valves when your start drilling so the metal dust don't get in there.

One of my bolts, I didn't have to drill it. I took the broken head and reversed it 1 turn and took it out with my fingers.

A little tip I was was taught was to cover the drill bit end with axle grease to help "catch" or contain as many of the shavings as possible

Good Luck

A little tip I was was taught was to cover the drill bit end with axle grease to help "catch" or contain as many of the shavings as possible

Good Luck

Using a magnet or two will help also, not on the drill bit but around the area being drilled

This is a bolt for just the coil cover, right? In that case, I'd say don't even sweat about it. Most folks don't put all the bolts back in anyway because they're such a pain. As long as the engine compartment stays somewhat dry and you don't drive through pouring rain regularly you should be fine. Properly silicone the wire entry in the back and forget about it.

i wish it was only one of the bolts for the coils, but its actually one of the two center bolts holding the valve cover to the head

i had one break off one time and I was fortunate enough for it to have broken on the outside and I found I could reach it with vise grips from underneath the valve cover.

i wish it was only one of the bolts for the coils, but its actually one of the two center bolts holding the valve cover to the head

Oh, that's bad.
Pull the cover back off, hopefully there's enough of the bolt showing that you can grab it with something.

If you have to use an extractor, keep in mind those will cause metal shavings. I would wrap the whole area in several clean rags to try to catch as much as possible and remove them very carefully. Using an extractor with the cover in place won't necessarily catch the chips.

thanks everybody for the help, i ended up having to drill the bolt then use a screw extractor, i felt like i was conducting surgery, i had everything covered in like 20 towels (good thing because i broke off two drill bits while drilling). once i figured out what i was doing and got a cobalt drill bit it came out way easier than i expected.

once i figured out what i was doing and got a cobalt drill bit it came out way easier than i expected.

LOL, yeah, learned that one the hard way too. Always use plenty of drill lube and a drill that's harder then the material you are drilling into :)

I'd recommend getting a TiAlN-coated carbide bit if you think you will use the extractors much. They will pretty much drill through anything, just use lots of lube an go SLOW! Carbide is brittle and you will REALLY be screwed if you break it off in the bolt. A steady hand is required.

Members online

No members online now.
Back