I Just Wanna Say....

JennsLincolnLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!
You guys are freakin' AWESOME! I don't know if I'd have been able to do half of the stuff I have done on my own without all of you! I know I only pop up when I'm working on stuff of have an issue, but as always when I do you guys are right there with an answer or advice! I just wanted to let you know that you are all much appreciated and trust me when I start the job on my Cats I'll be back....with pics this time!
I love my 01 LS V6 and am hoping that once I fix the remaining issues ie do the back brakes, replace my cats, and fix the misfire (which I suspect is another bad cop due to the cats being clogged), and replace the clockspring (which I will get to eventually) (BTW what issues will I have if I run with a bad clockspring? What I mean is by leaving it till I can afford to fix it will it cause permanent damage to something? Or will it just be annoying w/ no cruise and other buttons on my steering wheel messed up until I replace it??) That all the major issues will be fixed and I'll have my mpg up again...I know 20 isn't bad but for my v6 that I know will get 30 mpg on average I HATE getting only 20 mpg! Here's hoping that replacing the cats and clearing the misfire will work!
Again...THANK YOU ALL, You are AWESOME!!!!

First, the cats are clogged because of leaving failed COP's for too long, not the other way around. Just figured I would clarify that for you :)

Second, i don't think any harm will come from leaving the clockspring until you can afford to replace it. Although, Remember that since no electronics on the steering wheel work, that the air bag may not deploy in an accident. That is what I see as the biggest issue in waiting til you can "afford it." I think it's something you can't afford to leave. But safety is my primary concern.

My .02, and worth about as much.

Pektel,
Thank you for the clarification, but what I'm wondering is...if my cats are already clogged from running with a bad cop for too long would that bad cat cause another cop to go bad? Or is it just another Cop gone bad? I replaced the #4 COP when I realized what it was that was malfunctioning as well as replaced all gaskets and sparkplugs but I only bought new boots and springs for all my COP's instead of replacing them all, and I replaced the one that was bad...probably my mistake to do it that way but at $50 a peice I couldn't afford all 6 at the time....Am I going to have to do them all eventually or do you think I'll be ok fixing #5 and seeing if any others fail?
Hey and btw...I always appreciate the $.02!

First, the cats are clogged because of leaving failed COP's for too long, not the other way around. Just figured I would clarify that for you :)

Second, i don't think any harm will come from leaving the clockspring until you can afford to replace it. Although, Remember that since no electronics on the steering wheel work, that the air bag may not deploy in an accident. That is what I see as the biggest issue in waiting til you can "afford it." I think it's something you can't afford to leave. But safety is my primary concern.

My .02, and worth about as much.

Pektel,
Thank you for the clarification, but what I'm wondering is...if my cats are already clogged from running with a bad cop for too long would that bad cat cause another cop to go bad? ...

No, it wouldn't. The only things that will cause a COP failure are:
1. Bad construction.
2. Water or oil.
3. Bad sparkplug.
4. Excessive heat.

Frankly, you should have replaced all the COPs and plugs. You will now be putting your new cats at risk.

Hey a little more info about me and this LS I bought it with 130,000 miles a year ago and now it has 171,000 miles It had a new transmission put in at 100,000 miles but I don't think the last owner took very good care of it because pretty much since I bought it, I've been having problems with it. I have replaced the gaskets, all sparkplugs, so far 1 cop, all boots and springs on all cop's, front brakes and rotors, fixed a leak in my egr line that the freaking dorks had electrical taped together as it was in two peices, replaced the serpentine belt, water pump twice now since the one I replaced it with in January the pulley busted off of, thermostat and thermostat housing and upper radiator hoses, all 4 o2 sensors, and I am getting ready to do both Cats and the rear brakes, then I will takle the clockspring....any other fun stuff I can look forward to?? And Also for those of you who helped me with the heater issue, once I got the water pump fixed again, it blows hot on heat and cold on A/C so it turned out NOT to be my DCCV, thank goodness!
I think I just came up with a name for my beautiful ride too...Beast! As she is indeed a beast!

Joe,
Sounds like I will be buying 4 more COPs and taking the intake off again, if I replace all COPs should I do the plugs again too, or will the plugs be ok as I just did them a few months ago?
Thank you for all your help!

No, it wouldn't. The only things that will cause a COP failure are:
1. Bad construction.
2. Water or oil.
3. Bad sparkplug.
4. Excessive heat.

Frankly, you should have replaced all the COPs and plugs. You will now be putting your new cats at risk.

Joe,
Sounds like I will be buying 4 more COPs and taking the intake off again, if I replace all COPs should I do the plugs again too, or will the plugs be ok as I just did them a few months ago?
Thank you for all your help!

That's hard to say. I'd at least pull them out and inspect them closely. If they still look new, you're probably okay. If not, replace them.

You get 30 mpg? I'm working with 17 city 22 highway..

My gen 1 averages right around 18. Mostly city. When I had the tune installed, I used the right pedal way too much. I was averaging 14-15 then.

Yeah I've had my mpg as high as 32 but that was ALL freeway driving my average is probably more realistically 26/28mpg but I drive mostly freeway everyday and very little city...I commute 70 miles round trip to work everyday all freeway driving (usual speed is right around 50/60 mph) and I do very little running around town once I get home so my mpg I know can be better than it is right now...I don't drive alot of stop and go and I don't do a lot of city driving so I'm probably on the high side of average....at least I was when she was running good...not so much right now...but I won't complain too much as I see you guys average lower than me!
I have an Iphone ap that every time I put gas in my car I keep a fuel log...I don't forget, and it keeps track of my mpg for me so I usually know exactly what my mpgs are...its great plus it lets me see how much I spend on gas in a month, its crazy! I fill my car at least once a week if not twice depending on how much extra running around I do....

Yeah I've had my mpg as high as 32 but that was ALL freeway driving my average is probably more realistically 26/28mpg but I drive mostly freeway everyday and very little city...I commute 70 miles round trip to work everyday all freeway driving (usual speed is right around 50/60 mph) and I do very little running around town once I get home so my mpg I know can be better than it is right now...I don't drive alot of stop and go and I don't do a lot of city driving so I'm probably on the high side of average....at least I was when she was running good...not so much right now...but I won't complain too much as I see you guys average lower than me!
I have an Iphone ap that every time I put gas in my car I keep a fuel log...I don't forget, and it keeps track of my mpg for me so I usually know exactly what my mpgs are...its great plus it lets me see how much I spend on gas in a month, its crazy! I fill my car at least once a week if not twice depending on how much extra running around I do....

I have about half interstate and half city, probably around 30/40 miles a day, but my interstate driving is at 85/90 MPH. Considering all that, I don't think that my mileage is so bad. I can now see why you would expect to do much better.

Hi Jenn,
You couldn't have said it better!! These guys do rock!! I've been a member for a year now and every time I get into some kind of trouble with my LS, there always right there to explain what needs to be done!! So thank you posting what I should have said a looong time ago :) So with said, I'd like to say THANK YOU everyone who has helped me learn so much more about my LS!! I appreciate all the input you've giving me along the way...

:L

I just change the three on the right side at a time, buy them at autozone, for the price of $45 or so each, but I think they recently went up. Anyway, when I open that side of the engine, I put 3 new coils in, then, if a coil goes bad on the left, easy side, I use one of the old right side coils.

I agree on the lack of clockspring servicing, it could inhibit your air bag from deploying, not worth putting off that repair.

MPGs, on my V6, hit their all time high of 23.4 mpg a few months ago. I have a manual transmission, which, in theory, should get better MPGs than an automatic, with its fluid coupling losses as the purported reason for an up to 20% reduction in fuel economy over a manual transmission-equipped version. True, I drive like Joe on the highway, and it is hilly in New England. Also, driving at 50 mph or so, is supposedly the most economical way to drive.

That said, way to go, hope you get back to 32 mpgs asap!

Members online

No members online now.
Back