I have Light engine noise (With video)

DonDotta

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have this have this light clanking noise (kinda sounds similar to a diesel sound) coming from my engine. It's not really loud, but you can notice it. It sounds like it's coming from between the injectors and the intake manifold on the front-passenger side of the engine. To me it's sound like an exhaust leak, and I also heard 4.6s on youtube that had a similar noise, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to worry about. I also have a vibration between 800 & 1200 rpms, so I dont know if that related.

Here is the video, I was kinda slurring my voice, I was very tired lol.

th_November72011.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Oh you will hear squeaking in the pulley drive, I am getting that fixed this week.

Thanks

I think you're video just tried to brain rape my phone

Load it to YouTube like a normal person

Lol what happen?. I putting it on youtube right now, just waiting for the upload to start. My Phone uploading on youtube kinda sucks. I used photobucket because It uploaded quicker.

Locked my iPhone up, I had to reboot...my phone's a pos tho

sounds worse than an injector. sounds like a knock, if i am hearing it right

pull your belt off and make sure it is not in the accessories. i hear a belt squeak to. hope it is the tensioner

I know it does sound like a knock, but I don't think its from the bottom end. Its too quiet to be a spun bearing, thrown rod, or wrist pin. Plus the noise goes away after about 1300 rpm, and the engine runs great. It definetly feels like its running on all 8 cylinders, and its smooth through the powerband. It has no smoke, temp stays normal. Coolant is full and looks good, and so does the oil. Timing chain is a possibilty. I was thinking its an exhaust leak because my dad had one on his 02 denali and it sounds the same.

As far as the squeak, I'm pretty sure it coming from the accesories. The tensioner pulley does wiggle up and down while the engine is running.

I couldn't hear a thing over the squeak but i am interested in this thread. I have a slight noise in my engine too. very regular doesn't come or go or change in any way. It gets a little louder when the car is fully warmed up but that's the only change i can see in it. not sure how RPM affects it. it's quiet enough that i think when i add revs i lose the sound completely.

like i said take your belt off and see if it still makes that noise.
sound travels funny in the engine bay.
if it is not that i would say look into the chain tensioners

@sapperfire

Here the video. I did it like the normal people lol.
http://youtu.be/TNQk_umh_xg
TNQk_umh_xg

That squealing is definetly coming from the pulley system because when it rained today, it got worse. So I am going to take the belt off and find the problem tomorrow.

As far as the noise, it's wierd because it doesnt affected anything at all. I idle a little rough in park, but it gear it's smooth as silk

like i said take your belt off and see if it still makes that noise.
sound travels funny in the engine bay.
if it is not that i would say look into the chain tensioners

+1 sounds to scratchy to be engine knock

So what do you guys think? I heard how the bad timing chain tensioner on YouTube, and it sound like more of the metallic tapping noise than the scratchy clanking noise I got. I'm still thinking exhaust leak.

Here is a a 2005 GT that has the same noise, but you have to listen close because he has a nice cam :D.
http://youtu.be/3eQGh9HR-CE

@ KStromberg

I on the same revelation pattern as my sound, but it doesn't have that metallic tapping noise like yours.

I am uploading a longer version of the video I took for more lengths and areas around the engine.

EDIT: I forgot I had a under the car video, and the tapping is noticable under there also (will have video soon). This what leads me to exhaust leak. But will have till tomorrow to find out.

Heres the video:

http://youtu.be/sKyG5PBO9as

It shows the noise: under the car, inside the cabin, and a more detailed engine compartment view

@ KStromberg

I on the same revelation pattern as my sound, but it doesn't have that metallic tapping noise like yours.

I am uploading a longer version of the video I took for more lengths and areas around the engine.

EDIT: I forgot I had a under the car video, and the tapping is noticable under there also (will have video soon). This what leads me to exhaust leak. But will have till tomorrow to find out.

Heres the video:

http://youtu.be/sKyG5PBO9as

It shows the noise: under the car, inside the cabin, and a more detailed engine compartment view

The video quality on my phone is not that great and that's kind of the tough thing with watching videos that are posted up on here. My sound was more of a rattle. With these aluminum blocks, sound can really travel and be quite misleading as to the actual location of the sound. I was hearing the noise at the intake, at the passenger side valve cover, and even at the driver's side valve cover. My buddy came over with a stethoscope and when he speculated that it seemed "loudest" at the passenger side chain sprocket area, we took the chance and carefully lifted up the passenger side valve cover and this is what we found:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHotrodlincoln#p/u/16/GutddZRxqKM

As you can tell in the video, I was still sort of in the dark and when it comes to the valvetrain, I am no expert. So we worked up a theory with what was obvious which was a loose passenger side timing chain and a failed tensioner, of course, was the culprit.

Like I said though, don't assume the worst yet, and even my engine survived a failed chain tensioner and has had no hiccups since. First, as I mentioned would be checking the front accessories by hand with the belt off. If that turns up nothing, see if you can get your hands on a stethoscope and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If that still turns up nothing, you could take it to an exhaust shop and have them "smoke" the system and see if you have a manifold leak or some other related exhaust leak.

Collapsed lifter due to low oil pressure on idle? BTW this is my 1000'th post!!!

Congrats on your 1000th post :D cant wait till I get there. But DOHC engines don't have lifters, they have lash adjusters, but I could be wrong

Could be. Hearing this noise, do you guy think this is some that needs to be fixed urgently or should I just drive as-is because I heard alot of people show how smooth their 4.6s ran on youtube, and it made the same noise.

EDIT: Oh and the engine only has about 60k on it so i don't know.

Congrats on your 1000th post :D cant wait till I get there. But DOHC engines don't have lifters, they have lash adjusters, but I could be wrong

Thanks. And your right I had a brain fart. Got distracted by the 1000 post and forgot it was a DOCH

If it is a broken valve spring, it can and will eventually let the valve fall down into the cylinder and bust up your piston and sieze your engine. Do a compression test.

Though it's a problem with pre-1996, I doubting its the valve spring. I did the screw driver-ear trick on the valve covers on each cylinder on each side, and I didn't hear a any noise from there. Plus as I said before, the car seems to be running on all 8. I am taking it out to my mechanic tomorrow to get it diagnosed.

Oh how bad is the failure rate on the valvesprings, and how do I prevent it?

Oh how bad is the failure rate on the valvesprings, and how do I prevent it?

Not even close to as bad with the better springs we have. I shift each gear at about 6600rpms at the tachometer at the track. I've driven the crap out of this car and have not had a problem yet. I have hit 7K rpms warming up the tires at the track in the water box and I have occasionally bounced off of 7K rpms on street tires horsing around. 7000 rpms is kind of pushing it, but I have no problem shifting in the upper 6s at the track. Pass after pass after pass.

Put simply, don't over rev the motor and you should be fine. I don't think your rev limiter will allow you to get into the danger zone anyways.

Members online

No members online now.
Back