I have a little problem...

soccer2live

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I guess it all started a few days ago, I was driving along everything seemed perfect. A few seconds later i look down and i have all sorts of warning lights that the car was over heating.. i turned the car off on the spot. The car never reached the red mark or anything, im just glad i caught it in time. After a few minutes i drove it down to my brothers shop and saw that the top radiator hose had a tiny little hole, it wasnt really leaking maybe a drop every 5 minutes. Not taking any chances with the car over heating again i bought the part and replaced it. Well now a few days later the car began getting hot, thankfully i have been paying really close attention to the car. I drive it back to my brothers today. I did a pressure test in the cooling system and it seemed fine for about 5 minutes. i left the system pressurized for about 10 mins at about 12-13 psi. After those 10 minutes the leaking began. So i guess here is the question... What could be leaking coolant by the passanger side, towards the back of the motor?

What i came up with..
maybe a bad heater core? even though there is no water inside of the car, and there's no smell of coolant while the heat is on.
i saw a few diagrams of the cooling system in the rear part of the motor, it seems as if there are 4 hoses?

just a question?
where is the exit for the extra water of the a/c system?

anyways..
I am leaning towards a hose that runs behind the motor, not really sure where it goes, the diagrams are kind of vague.
What i do know is that if this hose is bad im going to have to tear all sorts of things up since you cant even see the hose from under or on top of the car!??

Maybe someone here has had a similar problem? any help would be really appreciated

Well I'm not familiar with that engine or generation but I'm going to put a couple guesses out there. One, there's a line that runs across the back of the engine that connects to the degas tank that may have corroded through or worn against something. Two, you have a freeze plug that rusting through. Three, you're on the money and it's a heater line right by the firewall which could part of the heater core just on the engine side of the firewall. I've never heard of the heater core leaking on the engine side of the firewall before expect when it was physically damaged.

Water on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine is where the condensation from the A/C system drains. Is that actually coolant leaking?

My bet is the infamous degas bottle. Are you losing coolant with no apparent/visible leak?

Ok guys thanks for all the input, i found the problem after much tearing apart ill have pictures on monday of what exactly happened!

Members online

No members online now.
Back