I hate my Mark VIII

93markVIII1026

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 Mark VIII and I have had so many problems with it!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
1. air blows out dash only.
2. transmission shudder
3. front A arms need replacing
4. bad out of line (wheels look lik this /---\ )
5. antenna wont go all the way up or all the way down.
6. rear view mirror fell off.
7. already had to replaced front brakes including roters.
8. Leaks oil and I cant find the source. (more than a qt a week)
9. the glove box wont open when i need it to , but it will flop open when im gong down the road, and then it wont stay closed,

The car looks great and the interior is in great shape, it has 116,000 miles on it and ive had it about 4 months and its driving me crazy, I love the cars style and the horsepower, but I need something more reliable, I still owe about $1,300.00 for the car, and I just dont know what to do..........:confused: :confused:

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!!

If you still owe money, you might want to keep it. So let's look at the list of things:

93markVIII1026 said:
This is a vacuum leak. Look towards the back of the engine. You'll probably find a black air line that is cracked or broken. You can get the parts to replace this in the HELP! section of most autopart stores.

2. transmission shudder
A little more expensive. Hopefully this is just bad transmission fluid. So you'll need to drain the transmission and torque converter and replace the fluid with Mercon V. This might clear up the probelm.

Why?

Alignment... can't blame the car for that. You'll just have to find a tireshop. FIRESTONE TIRE is among the companies that sell lifetime alignments for $150.

. antenna wont go all the way up or all the way down.
Does this affect reception?

Glue. $2. I'm doing that to my car at this very moment. Waiting for the glue to dry.

That sucks. Did you check the obvious- tighten the oil filter and drain plug? Otherwise, it'll be a pain in the arse to fix, no doubt.

I still owe about $1,300.00 for the car, and I just dont know what to do..........:confused: :confused:

Good luck. Mines driving me nuts as well. I don't owe money, but I've invested so much in it, I'm now committed to keeping it.

My 2001 Sebring with 124K mi on it just needed a new tranny, the fan speed control resistor needs to replaced every 18 mos.

My 2003 Mercedes CLK 500 just needed a front brake job, $900 for just rotors and pads.

My 2006 Mark VIII used as a daily driver? no problems,OH,it's due for an oil change.

If it still runs keep it!

Most of that sounds like common/typical Mark VIII stuff.
Compare what you need to do to fix it to buying a car to replace it.
Since last November, I have done:
Front struts.
Battery.
Rear brakes.
Rack and pinion.
P/S hoses.
Tie rod ends.
Strut rod bushings.
Sway bar end links.
Alternator.
Rear shocks.
Upper control arms.
Serpentine belt.
Serp belt pulley.
Steering column.
Oil filter adapter gasket.
I know I am probably forgetting something....
Luckilly, I have only paid for parts.
P.S. ...in my trunk waiting to be installed are: tranmission filter, and oxygen sensor wiating to be installed.

Well for as old as the car is many parts will need to be replaced because they just wore out. Dempending upon the pervious owner(s) and depending upon what they fixed or didn't fix. You might be the one who has to bring this car back to life.

I have 3 Mark VIII and love them... I'm replacing my front calipers and brake pads on my 94 because they are not working properly anymore (it happens). Also replace my air ride with a conversion kit when the air ride system died. Oh and an alternator.
I replaced my Torque Converter on my 95 because it die, was a great learning experience. My 95 is getting both lower control arms replace next weekend. Also replace my plug wires.

I've replaced one lower control arm and upper control arm, altenator, and air ride sytem to coils when the air ride started to give me problems on my 93.

These older cars do have parts that wear out. I owe no money on any of my Mark VIIIs. Car Payments are repairs, and cost much less than making payment. All three Marks are daily drivers by someone in my family.

Mileage 139K on my 94, 149K on my 95, and 205K on my 93. Love them all.

When changing the tranny fluid. I'd have it flushed. Ford invented the Tranny Flush to get rid of its shudder that is common in its trannies. (from what I was told).

Fix your car... you'll love it once it's back up to par.

Rich, do you realise that you have almost a half a million miles worth of mark VIII?
Mine will be reaching 100k probably tomorrow.....I can't remember the exact mileage, but it's very close

my95mark8 said:
Rich, do you realise that you have almost a half a million miles worth of mark VIII?
Mine will be reaching 100k probably tomorrow.....I can't remember the exact mileage, but it's very close

Yup and they are still awsome cars to drive...

Just think I'm almost back from the Moon....:cool: Never be afraid of the miles.

I remember the days when people would shy aways from a car with 100k....now that's considered low mileage.

It's all in how it's been maintained. Sounds like it may have had a rough life. I now have 114,xxx on mine and she runs and drives like new. She has been well maintained though.

As far as yours is concerned, If the body and interior are in very nice shape then you may want to slowly start to fix her up. a lot of the things that you mentioned are not that big of a deal if you can do the work yourself. Look at it this way, $1,300 more and a few repairs and she's all yours. I really love the way my mark VIII looks! It is somewhat unique and not everyone has one. You could always buy a chrysler 300... Just like everyone eles and there mother, father, sister, etc, etc. (LOL)

Good Luck!

I thought only LSs have problem, but what do I see here?? Oh my... j/k.

If you like that car, try to fix it little by little and enjoy that powerful engine.

The engines are a problem, but when you cross 100k or 125k you find yourself looking at suspension issues. Tie rods, shocks, struts, wheel bearings, and the like... It really doesn't matter the car, those parts all seem to need addressing when you start getting into the hundred thousands.

My 93 had similar problems when I bought it. It had all of the usual problems, all of the control arms were rotted, the two front air struts had leaks, and the antenna didn't retract. I just handeled them one at a time. After all was said and done, I've had many happy driving miles. There is always something that needs to be done.

Now I am on to my second Mark, and I am starting over again with that same issues. My first issue the suspension.:D

ok ive looked for the vacuum leak, the a arms, the ball joints are bad and since thats all one piece they have to be replaced before I can get the car lined up, the antenna not going up does effect the radio reception, and the rear view mirror has a big chunk of glass out of the windshield where it goes, (there's not a hole in the windshield but it's to deep for the mirror glue to work, )the transmission has had the additives added to it and it didn't help,so I dont know what to do with this car, get something different or just try to fix it, and I know that if I buy something else I'll have payments on another car but at least I can make payments, and I dont know of any mechanic's that will take payments.....:confused: :confused:

93markVIII1026 said:
ok ive looked for the vacuum leak, the a arms, the ball joints are bad and since thats all one piece they have to be replaced before I can get the car lined up,
The upper control arms are not too much trouble to do. The passenger side is cake, the driver's side a bit more inconvienent due to the location of the master cyclinder.

the antenna not going up does effect the radio reception,
If you're in a pinch, you can get a fixed antenna to replace the motorized one.

and the rear view mirror has a big chunk of glass out of the windshield where it goes, (there's not a hole in the windshield but it's to deep for the mirror glue to work, )
that's really odd...

the transmission has had the additives added to it and it didn't help,
Not mechanic in a can, but flush and fill. Mercon V. It's a semi-synthetic that doesn't break down from heat like the Dextron-Mercon did.

so I dont know what to do with this car, get something different or just try to fix it, and I know that if I buy something else I'll have payments on another car but at least I can make payments, and I dont know of any mechanic's that will take payments.....:confused: :confused:
Well, you'll have a hell of a time selling a car with the problems you're mentioning. I don't see how you have much choice in this situation. I guess you need to prioritize the repairs and get to them in order of importance... starting with the suspension. (bearings then alignment) and moving eventual to the antenna.

93markVIII1026 said:
I have a 93 Mark VIII and I have had so many problems with it!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
2. transmission shudder
5. antenna wont go all the way up or all the way down.
9. the glove box wont open when i need it to , but it will flop open when im gong down the road, and then it wont stay closed,

The car looks great and the interior is in great shape, it has 116,000 miles on it and ive had it about 4 months and its driving me crazy, I love the cars style and the horsepower, but I need something more reliable, I still owe about $1,300.00 for the car, and I just dont know what to do..........:confused: :confused:

then you might as well hate every car on the road man, because they all need work to make them nice.

Members online

No members online now.
Back