I HATE Hurricanes

RyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just when I finished moving into my new place, I wake up to this. She's done, and the worst part is that it's all on me since I didn't have full cover on it.

20220929_150910.jpg

24 hours later, still too high to risk hydrolocking the motor

20220930_225306.jpg

Anyone here got a full tan interior they're willing to part with? Jkjk

Ouch!!!!!!

You may be surpised.

Get the interior out and drying asap. Water and white vinegar gets salt stains out of leather. There are also some pretty good leather protector/cleaner/conditioner products out there.

Disconnect any electrical plugs that were submerged in water (salt water I presume) and flush with battery terminal cleaner... then PB Blaster... then De-oxit Gold. (that includeds the main transmission harness plug).

If you want to stop any corrosion, do this first... but you may find that the gaskets/seals on the connectors didn't let water in.

Don't initially crank it over with the battery. Do a few rotations slowly by hand to get any water out of the engine (if there is any). That way you shouldn't have to worry about hydro-lock.

Then change the tranny fluid and filter... and the engine oil and filter... Power steering... etc. You may want to do the tranny fluid twice.

Part of this depends on whether or not the tranny seals let water into the tranny. Same with the crankshaft seals.

The alternator is probably trash.

Ouch!!!!!!

You may be surpised.

Get the interior out and drying asap. Water and white vinegar gets salt stains out of leather. There are also some pretty good leather protector/cleaner/conditioner products out there.

Disconnect any electrical plugs that were submerged in water (salt water I presume) and flush with battery terminal cleaner... then PB Blaster... then De-oxit Gold. (that includeds the main transmission harness plug).

If you want to stop any corrosion, do this first... but you may find that the gaskets/seals on the connectors didn't let water in.

Don't initially crank it over with the battery. Do a few rotations slowly by hand to get any water out of the engine (if there is any). That way you shouldn't have to worry about hydro-lock.

Then change the tranny fluid and filter... and the engine oil and filter... Power steering... etc. You may want to do the tranny fluid twice.

Part of this depends on whether or not the tranny seals let water into the tranny. Same with the crankshaft seals.

The alternator is probably trash.
I don't think it was salt water since I'm pretty far off the coast. Anyways, I finally managed to get it off the water and into a dry spot. Surprisingly, the alternator still works. The only casualty so far was the driver seat motor. Completely inoperable, but the inflatable lumbar still works. And it's stuck in an awkward gangster lean but pushed all the way forward (not my driving position, dunno what happened there) which is gonna make getting it out a PITA

Aaand let the electrical troubles begin! Either my battery is fried because water got into the trunk OR there's a short somewhere. Could just be that I left the doors open for it to dry up and it just kept beeping and binging (but I made sure to turn off the interior lights by clicking the lock on the remote)

Don't forget that there are oodles of relays under the hood, and in the trunk. If water was over the top of the battery in the trunk... the relays were submerged... and they aren't water tight.

Pulled the battery and water was dripping out from inside it...not good. That's -$200 down the drain

There's a reason that insurance instantly totals out flood cars. Sorry, but this won't go well...

There's a reason that insurance instantly totals out flood cars. Sorry, but this won't go well...
I know the risks, and I'm not planning on keeping it for long, I just need it to get me by cause I'm not in a position to even think about a new car after moving out of my parent's place.

Besides, the only thing broken is the driver seat motor. Literally everything else works, despite being submerged in water for 2-3 days.

... for now. :(
I've managed to confirm that it was indeed a fresh water flood. Hopefully that buys me some time to put together a DP on a car I actually want, cause if I'm getting a new car I'm not getting some FB Marketplace bucket

@joegr how are your Genesis', BTW? '15-'16s sedans are looking really enticing now with what they're currently trading for.

Alright, I need some ideas here. How the F**K am I gonna get the driver seat out if the seat bottom is pushed all the way as far forward as it can and the back rest is as far back as it goes, too?

@joegr how are your Genesis', BTW? '15-'16s sedans are looking really enticing now with what they're currently trading for.
Really great, no complaints so far. I think that a G70 would be closer to the LS experience, but I was looking for quiet and comfort more this time around, so the G80 was what I wanted. Note that the 2018 and up have some big feature changes.

And I figured out my battery draining electrical gremlin. The AC stays on even if I turn off the car and open the door. Thankfully, it goes off when I turn it off manually. Just gotta keep that in mind when I go places now.

Just ran diagnostics for the HVAC Control Module and I'm getting codes 12 63 and 16 76

... for now. :(
Called it. My alternator started giving me some trouble yesterday, 20 miles out of Orlando. So I did the thing Italian car owners do when their alternators are causing some grief, which is driving faster.

Made it to my destination and back, but she quit on me about a block away from my place.
Thankfully, I had just bought a NOCO GB40 booster pack earlier in the day and charged it before I left. Hooked it up, and it had just enough juice to get me across the block to my place.

Well, I had the alternator swapped and she runs like she was never flooded in the first place. I've confirmed that my battery drain is from a faulty AC blower fan (stays on after car is turned off, sometimes). Worst comes to worst, I'm sure I can just pull a fuse and just keep driving it.

Well, I had the alternator swapped and she runs like she was never flooded in the first place. I've confirmed that my battery drain is from a faulty AC blower fan (stays on after car is turned off, sometimes). Worst comes to worst, I'm sure I can just pull a fuse and just keep driving it.
There's more to it than that. No matter what may be wrong with the climate control, it couldn't stay on for more than thirty minutes are so after shutdown. There's also something wrong that preventing the car from sleeping. Just having the REM powered up with the SSP relays on will also run the battery down, just takes a few days.

Well, 4 months of an unaddressed battery drain and she's dead again...surprised it lasted this long.

20230112_093405.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back