I didn't know my LS was a diesel

ImTryin67

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow LS owners,

This is a little long winded but I have been trying to figure this out for several weeks and have tried most of the typical fixes.

I have a 2000 LS that I put a lot of miles that until a few weeks ago I put on daily. I now have 108,000 miles on her. I have visited the web site often since I bought my LS 3 years ago and have recently signed up as a member to see if I could get some help from some fellow car lovers. My extended warranty expired at 100k and now I am on my own to try and fix my problem. I prefer to work on my own cars and only go to the stealership as a last resort.

My LS started running rough in March and have been searching on the Internet and replacing different parts trying to locate the problem(s). I had the codes checked and the No 2 and 4 cylinders misfiring are on the code list. Mileage dropped from an average of 21 to 15. Also, at idle the engine sounds like and shakes like a diesel. The diesel noise since January has been gradually been getting louder. The noise appears to gets less when reved and at speeds above idle.

I have replaced the oxygen sensors, it helped for a day. All of the coils arc from a screw driver to the engine. I replaced the spark plugs with Bosch dual platinum a year ago and last week replaced them on 1-4 without any change. I just checked the egr valve tonight, it holds vacuum. The vacuum to the egr was zero at idle and less than 10 at 2000 rpm. Engine vacuum was around 15, probably low due to the the rough idle. The IAC valve seemed to be adjusting it's self to compensate for the rough idle. I have even pulled the valve cover off to check the condition of the timing chain tensioner and the cam lobes did not appear to look abnormal. I did not check the lobe heights though. I also disconnected the exhaust at the manifolds in case the cats were getting clogged, no change.

A year ago I, when under warranty the drivers side timing chain tensioner was replaced. At that time a compression check came back good.

I am about to start changing fuel injectors, after that the cam followers.

I see most of you have less miles than I do but I thought it would be good to see if it could be brought to light what this problem might be so others will not have to search as hard as I have been.
I have been driving my wife's Durango. I miss my LS.

Thanks,

Imtryin67

To me it sounds like a coil situation. Have you tried changing out the coils on those numbers?

imtryin, i would try change all coil's and all spark plugs because from what i understand, the misfire code can easily be innaccurate as to which cylinder is misfiring. also it seems that sometime there is an issue with non-motorcraft products. so with that being said, go change all coils and plugs to brand new motorcraft products

Did you ever see any evidence of oil in the valve covers when you changed the spark plugs?

I had to replace one of my injectors last year. It acted just like a bad coil - stuttering, throwing misfire code, etc. I changed the plugs and swapped two coils to see if the same cylinder threw the code. When it did I figured it must be a fuel problem if it wasn't spark...

If you are still getting codes on the same cylinders I would say to try and swap out or install new injectors.

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back