I did use search first.....

Another thing to consider is the brand of tire. Some manufacturers have a softer sidewall compared to others. I had several different tires on my SHO and it seemed Michelins rode a little softer than the Dunlops. Do a little searching, maybe on tire Rack or discount Tire websites.

Another thing to consider is the brand of tire. Some manufacturers have a softer sidewall compared to others. I had several different tires on my SHO and it seemed Michelins rode a little softer than the Dunlops. Do a little searching, maybe on tire Rack or discount Tire websites.

Agreed. My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's ride much softer than the Bridgestone Pole Position RE970's ever did with no degradation in handling. In fact, handling is better.....

Here's a useful tire size calculator: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

What you are primarily interested in is the circumference of the tire or more precisely the difference between 235/50r17 and whatever you are going to. More or less then 2% could cause some issues with ABS and AdvanceTrac. If you get 16" rims then a 225/60r16 is your best problem-free bet. That size tire is also plentiful and cheap.

Also a nice video showing what it looks like when the tire rolls over on the sidewall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTklzogJCQE

Notice where the white that says Pyroxes eventually gets rubbed off half way down the sidewall. Really noticable at about the 45-second mark. The less sidewall flex you have, the harsher the tire will feel and better it will handle. The more sidewall flex you have the softer a tire will feel and the worse it will handle. You can adjust sidewall flex in two ways, either by getting tires with stiffer/softer sidewalls, and adjusting the pressure in the tire.

I'd suggest you try to find a tire that has the feel you want without lowering the PSI. Rolling over onto the sidewalls of the tire isn't really an ideal scenario regardless of what you are trying to do. Lower PSI will also decrease gas mileage and wear the tires faster. Just look for a size you want in a Touring class of tire.

Yes, but not over 3.5%

In that case if he got 16" rims he could do a 235/60R16 which would be the same width as his current tires with a sidewall that's almost 1" higher. The new tires would be 3.2% bigger on circumference.

An extra 1" of sidewall is going to make the LS float like a cloud for sure. I hope he's not used to cornering in it yet. :)

In that case if he got 16" rims he could do a 235/60R16 which would be the same width as his current tires with a sidewall that's almost 1" higher. The new tires would be 3.2% bigger on circumference.

An extra 1" of sidewall is going to make the LS float like a cloud for sure. I hope he's not used to cornering in it yet. :)

Yes, but the stock size of P225/55/16 gives him an extra inch of sidewall (over what he has now) with the correct O.D. Plus, being slightly narrower should give a smoother ride as well.

OH boy....

im guessing they said (and I quote) " yep, lifted it up again, everything seems to be good...have you thought about new tires"

I walked out of there with a 3,500 estimate with what my car needed. lolololo.. However it needs new tires.....

Yes, but the stock size of P225/55/16 gives him an extra inch of sidewall (over what he has now) with the correct O.D. Plus, being slightly narrower should give a smoother ride as well.

He did say he wanted something wider so that was why I mentioned them. I agree that just getting standard tires on a 16" rim would be the way to go. I've never ridden in an LS with 16" rims but there is a world of difference between the stock 17" and when I went to 18" as far as ride comfort and that was before my stance shocks.

He did say he wanted something wider so that was why I mentioned them. I agree that just getting standard tires on a 16" rim would be the way to go. I've never ridden in an LS with 16" rims but there is a world of difference between the stock 17" and when I went to 18" as far as ride comfort and that was before my stance shocks.

Had them on my '00. Steering response was a shade slower, but overall handled well. It should be a good compromise between a Continental-like ride and the LS natural agility.

The LS was never meant to be, as many, many dealers tried to sell them, a mini-Continental. It was an American BMW. To get a "more comfortable" in- town ride you will have to give up the handling prowess of the LS. That said, going to a 215/60/16 tire/wheel with the base shocks is, IMHO, your best bet. eBay has the stock 16" wheels all the time.....

Thank you...... I will be saving up for the 16inch rims.......... What I need to do is ride in an other LS's to see how they ride....

I don't know how these compare to the other tires, but the Continental PureContacts I just put on mine make a far more comfortable ride than the then-new Hankook Ventus tires that the car had on it when I bought it. The ride never was that great on those tires, but the Continentals are way better than the Hankooks were even when we bought the car. My wife has a very bad back including a spinal fusion, so ride comfort is my main priority. Ultimately though, ride comfort for me is going to mean trading the LS off for a new Charger. We rented a Charger for a trip from Tulsa to Denver and the wife was able to ride comfortably in the car in the front seat all the way, but she can't even handle a 50 mile trip in the LS without laying down in the back seat for the ride.

I ain't gonna front..... I'm a little touch by all the help.... Thank you..... I think i need to man up....

My car seems to ride more comfortably with higher tire pressure (effectively stiffer sidewall). It's very bouncy going over bumps at slow speed with the tires at 30 psi (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 235/50-R17). I suspect that, as the suspension ages, it is no longer controlling rebound like it should. The effectively stiffer sidewall may compensate for the worn suspension components.

I recommend trying both slightly higher and lower tire pressures (±3-5 psig) to see how the car responds. This will determine if you need a stiffer or softer sidewall. If you can't get it to ride acceptably, you'll probably need to replace suspension components.

how many miles do you have on your 05, if you are over 100k it may be time for new shocks, but never get monroe the only shocks recomended for the LS is the factory ones. go to rockauto and get them there if needed.

how many miles do you have on your 05, if you are over 100k it may be time for new shocks, but never get monroe the only shocks recomended for the LS is the factory ones. go to rockauto and get them there if needed.

I have 190,000 on my 2005 Lincoln LS... I can say that the engine purrssss.. Not one shake at idle.. I have replaced the front and rear stabelizer bars. Front inner and outer tie rods and the back tie rods..... Much better.... I also replaced all coil packs and spark plugs and all four 02 sensors......

lls.jpg

lls.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back