I did use search first.....

htiek123

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my tires, I have a 2005 Sport with the stock 17inch rims. I want a softer ride, I am having the shocks replaced with Monroe's..... I would like to use a wider and higher tire. As you know the stock is P235/50/17 or P235/55/17.

Would I be able to use 245/55/17 on the stock wheels, or even 255/55/17.... Would I have rubbing issues?

Also how many PSI are you running on your tires, stocks says 30....

Thanks in advance....

You want a better ride and you are putting in Monroe shocks?????

P235/55/17 is not a stock size. Stock is P235/50/17 for 17" rims and P225/55/16 for 16" rims.

For a softer ride, switch to 16" rims (P225/55/16 has a taller sidewall) and use the 5W4Z-18124-BA shocks in the front and the 5W4Z-18125-AB shocks in the back.
Wider tires will make the ride rougher, not smoother.

Thank you, for my 2005 Sport, there was an option for the 235 55 17... So that is why I stated that they were stock.... As I have read, switching to smaller tire will give it a much better ride....

Will the 225 55 16 fit on my 2005? And thank you for the correct shocks.....

You want a better ride and you are putting in Monroe shocks?????

P235/55/17 is not a stock size. Stock is P235/50/17 for 17" rims and P225/55/16 for 16" rims.

For a softer ride, switch to 16" rims (P225/55/16 has a taller sidewall) and use the 5W4Z-18124-BA shocks in the front and the 5W4Z-18125-AB shocks in the back.
Wider tires will make the ride rougher, not smoother.

Oh, one more thing are these shocks (the ones that you recomened, non-sport?) I don't want a sport shock..... I want a softer ride......

Thank you, for my 2005 Sport, there was an option for the 235 55 17... So that is why I stated that they were stock.... As I have read, switching to smaller tire will give it a much better ride....

Will the 225 55 16 fit on my 2005? And thank you for the correct shocks.....

235/55/17 was NEVER an option. Check the placard on the driver's "A" pillar. There were 3 tire sizes from the factory, '00 non-sports got 215/60/16, '01+ non-sports got 225/55/16 and ALL sports (V6 & V8) got 235/50/17. As ALL '03-'06 V8's are "sports" they all got 235/50/17. There was a cold weather option for the 2nd gen V8's that included the 225/55/16 wheel/tire.

As I have read, switching to smaller tire will give it a much better ride....
the smaller/shorter the side wall, the less rubber to absorb any bumps... therefore the harder the ride. the taller/larger the side wall, the more rubber to absorb bumps, therefore the softer the ride

with this in mind, if you go with a smaller wheel (16 vs 17) you can run a taller tire to get that softer ride.

Here is a partial list of the options of the 2005 LS Sport

http://www.cars.com/lincoln/ls/2005/specifications/?acode=USB50LIC041D0

Specifications

Specs for Style:

V8 Sport 4dr Sedan

Select Style

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Engine

Engine

280-hp, 3.9-liter V-8 (premium)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Transmission

Transmission

5-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual

280-hp, 3.9-liter V-8 (premium)

Engine liters

Cylinder configuration

V-8

Horsepower

280-hp @ 6,000 rpm

Torque

286 lbs.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

# of valves

Variable valve control

Standard

Sequential MPI

Standard

Recommended fuel

premium unleaded

Aluminum cylinder block

Standard

Aluminum cylinder head

Standard

Engine oil cooler

Standard

Ignition type

electronic

Engine orientation

longitudinal

Fuel economy city

18 mpg

Fuel economy highway

25 mpg

Fuel tank capacity

18.0 gal.

Powertrain

135-amp. alternator

Standard

Battery amp hours

(72Ah)

Battery-rundown protection

Standard

Low emission vehicle

Standard

Dual stainless steel exhaust

Standard

Chrome tailpipe

Standard

Sequential sport shift

Standard

Axle ratio

Rear-wheel drive

Standard

5-spd automatic w/OD and auto-manual

Overdrive

Standard

Transmission electronic control

Standard

5-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual

Transmission gear ratio (1st)

Transmission gear ratio (2nd)

Transmission gear ratio (3rd)

Transmission gear ratio (4th)

Transmission gear ratio (5th)

Transmission gear ratio (reverse)

Estimated Performance Specs

0-60 mph

6.36 seconds

1/4 mile

14.86 seconds at 96.41 mph

Lateral acceleration

.88 g

Slalom

60 mph

Suspension/Handling

Independent front short and long arm suspension w/anti-roll bar

Standard

Sport suspension

Standard

Front coil springs

Standard

Gas-pressurized front shocks

Standard

Independent rear short and long arm suspension w/anti-roll bar

Standard

Rear coil springs

Standard

Gas-pressurized rear shocks

Standard

Speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack-pinion steering

Standard

P235/50VR17.0 BSW AS tires

Standard

P235/55VR17.0 BSW AS tires

Optional

Steel spare wheel

Standard

17" wheels

Standard

235/55/17 was NEVER an option. Check the placard on the driver's "A" pillar. There were 3 tire sizes from the factory, '00 non-sports got 215/60/16, '01+ non-sports got 225/55/16 and ALL sports (V6 & V8) got 235/50/17. As ALL '03-'06 V8's are "sports" they all got 235/50/17. There was a cold weather option for the 2nd gen V8's that included the 225/55/16 wheel/tire.

That's a typo. Bet it's from cars.com or one of those places, not from Ford. But hey, I'm sure you know way more about it than we do...

Thank you, being that I did search, I do understand that calulation..... Thats why I was asking with my 17 inch stock, if I were to get a higher (55) and wider tire 245 or 255 would they fit my 17 inch stock? or I see some on here go with at 245 45 17, however they also stated that they felt a harder ride..... What about the 225 55 17, a thinner and higher tire....

At this time I would not be able to get the 16 inch rims, so I may just go with the 235 55 17....

the smaller/shorter the side wall, the less rubber to absorb any bumps... therefore the harder the ride. the taller/larger the side wall, the more rubber to absorb bumps, therefore the softer the ride

with this in mind, if you go with a smaller wheel (16 vs 17) you can run a taller tire to get that softer ride.

See, I knew it would turn into a pissing contest...... I'm trying to learn....
That's a typo. Bet it's from cars.com or one of those places, not from Ford. But hey, I'm sure you know way more about it than we do...

john-mccarthy-quote-its-just-a-pissing-contest-but-unfortunately-the.jpg

believe what you want. I had the opportunity to talk extensively to the LS engineers back in the day and the sizes I listed above were the ONLY sizes that were on the LS when it left the factory. Did you even bother to check the placard on the "A" pillar. I think not.

Type your VIN in here and you will know exactly how your car left Wixom.....

In any case, you will need to use this tool to see what sizes are compatible with the stock 235/50/17.

I like the firm, sport handling and ride of the LS. I do not want the marshmellow ride of a Town Car or Crown Vic.

My tires now are of a slighter harder compound than the factory tires (poor handling), but I get better handling, better wear, with a slight increase in noise.

I was not doubting you, I was 100% wrong.... Thank you.... It’s just the sarcasm and the delivery, I don't want to fight... I've learned a great deal here...

And yes I have put my VIN number here in the past. Thank you for the Size compatible tool...

believe what you want. I had the opportunity to talk extensively to the LS engineers back in the day and the sizes I listed above were the ONLY sizes that were on the LS when it left the factory. Did you even bother to check the placard on the "A" pillar. I think not.

Type your VIN in here and you will know exactly how your car left Wixom.....

In any case, you will need to use this tool to see what sizes are compatible with the stock 235/50/17.

As are we all...

P235/55/17 is not a valid size for the LS. It would require different speedometer, PCM, NAV, and ABS calibrations.

Thank you...... This is very helpfull.... I will stick with the P235 50 17.......

I like the firm, sport handling and ride of the LS. I do not want the marshmellow ride of a Town Car or Crown Vic.

My tires now are of a slighter harder compound than the factory tires (poor handling), but I get better handling, better wear, with a slight increase in noise.

I may be looking at this wrong (not the first time), I like the handling on the Highway, however in town, I feel every bump... I've replaced the stabilizer bars, inner and outer tie rods.. I've had the car checked twice by Firestone and they did my brakes and rooters... I'm sure new tires will help; I purchased my 2005 sport in May of this year....

I've had the car checked twice by Firestone and they did my brakes and rooters...

OH boy....

im guessing they said (and I quote) " yep, lifted it up again, everything seems to be good...have you thought about new tires"

... :) your on the right track for smoothing out the ride... wrong for LS service.

Just get a higher sidewall tire for a smoother ride. I wouldn't bother with a wider tire unless they are significantly cheaper. Generally you want to stay within 2% of the original tire size that came on the car. That being said, you can put any tire on the car as long as you understand the ABS and AdvanceTrac if you have it won't work as good. Your speedo will also be significantly off. So 50 may really be 55. I'd say a 225/55r17 would be a good compromise for a higher sidewally. It's 1.9% bigger then the 235/50r17. Then you could always jump up to a 60 sidewall but no clue how fitment will be. 225/60r17 is 5.2% bigger, and a 235/60r17 is 7% bigger.

AND if you really want the car to feel like a water bed then you can drop the pressure in the tires by 2-4 PSI. Just make sure you don't corner at any speed as the corners of the tires will be more likely to roll over onto the sidewall. For safety reasons I suggest you not do this though and run the tires at recommended pressures :)

The LS was never meant to be, as many, many dealers tried to sell them, a mini-Continental. It was an American BMW. To get a "more comfortable" in- town ride you will have to give up the handling prowess of the LS. That said, going to a 215/60/16 tire/wheel with the base shocks is, IMHO, your best bet. eBay has the stock 16" wheels all the time.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back