I Did It 2003+ Bumper Conversion On A 2000

bigpappy33

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well guys, after being rear ended and some waiting and a bit of failed communication, i have converted a 2003 bumper and trunk lid onto my 2000 LSV8.

ive always liked the 03+ bumper, now i got one!
Of course, there are problems...
1. My body shop has down syndrome.
2. They ordered chrome bumper inserts
3. They did not paint my rear surround like i asked.
4. I wanted all red tailights, but no.

All this was to be fixed as soon as i saw it, unfortunatly that was a friday and i had to go back to school in Gainesville on that monday, so i will not have the surround and the chrome trim painted to match until spring break (first week of march). Other than that i love the look, and with my in state tuition check and some savings new wheels will be on within the month.

Oh, i also put on some 4 inch magnaflow exhaust tips.
And in the last pic, anyone with an 03+, what do i need to hold down that part of the valence? can anyone take a picture? i had to put those rear bottom valences on myself because my body shop only ordered the middle one (idiots) and i didnt get the two outer ones till this weekend. thanks

Now the pics!!!

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Congrats on being the first to do the conversion. I know its been discussed many times. I knew it could be done with the right parts and you are the proof. Good job!!

Wow, I like it. I've been wanting to do the same thing. Did you ever resolve the rear valance issue and was the newer trunk lid absolutely necessary?

that's a 2000? you did the inner tail lights as well?

Wow, I like it. I've been wanting to do the same thing. Did you ever resolve the rear valance issue and was the newer trunk lid absolutely necessary?

Yes, the whole trunk lid had to be replaced to do the conversion. The trunk was pushed up in the accident as well as the rear bumper, making my car a perfect canidate for the job. And yes the rear valences are on now, as you can see in the pictures. The only thing im waiting on is to get that chrome painted!

Heres another pic. these were taking right after i finished it and i didnt adjust the little rubber trunk stop yet thats why the left side is not lined up with the 1/4 pannel.

lincoln ls 004.jpg

i liked that shaved rear than the others i've seen because the first gen lights makes it looks less bare. Nice ride CleanLS

What is the number on those Magnaflow Tips?

The part number for the tips are #35177, i got them off of Kens website. :D Although the price just went up for some reason. Good thing i got em when i did.

I did that like a year ago. but instead of changing the trunk i just shaved it

Nice work on shaving the surround, my trunk lid was damaged so it was getting changed any way, plus i prefer the way the rear surround looks, but nice job nonetheless.

Heres another pic. these were taking right after i finished it and i didnt adjust the little rubber trunk stop yet thats why the left side is not lined up with the 1/4 pannel.

I like it, but what happened to your license plate surround and keyhole? I don't know which I'd go with. Exactly where does the trunk need to be shaved? I want to do this conversion for the same reason as bigpappy - to put the exhaust tips in clean.

Nice work on shaving the surround, my trunk lid was damaged so it was getting changed any way, plus i prefer the way the rear surround looks, but nice job nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words. I just like to be a little different, and somtimes people just jump right to dis-likeing "different". so again i thank you. IT was alot of work but it looks good. I am thinkig about getting a gen 2 lid though. I kinda dont like not having a key hole, espesialy whan my old batt took a crap and i had to crawl though the back seats. luckly i had left the seat down or i would have been screwed.

Thank you for your kind words. I just like to be a little different, and somtimes people just jump right to dis-likeing "different". so again i thank you. IT was alot of work but it looks good. I am thinkig about getting a gen 2 lid though. I kinda dont like not having a key hole, espesialy whan my old batt took a crap and i had to crawl though the back seats. luckly i had left the seat down or i would have been screwed.

Yea, the gen2 lids are actually cheaper than the gen 1 ones, and you are very lucky you left your seat down lol. You can always have a tree "accidentally" fall on your trunk lid if u want a new one. :D

Yes, the whole trunk lid had to be replaced to do the conversion. And yes the rear valences are on now, as you can see in the pictures. The only thing im waiting on is to get that chrome painted!

Hey man, that looks really smooth. Are all the parts a direct bolt-on?

it was 8 years ago man... with a member who hasn't been on since 2013....

BUT to answer your question, yes they do..

Yea I know, but I thought maybe this guy is still around. Anyways, basically this is a direct swap? Do you know of anyone else that've done it?

I have (full 02 to 06 swap).. I few write ups around here somewhere...

front and back... headlights went from first gen to 2nd gen halogens..

That's sounds exactly as what Im planing to do. I'm searching the auctions waiting for it to come up.
Do you know of any other parts in general that are swappable between them?

anything regarding this swap is... 99% of the body is. Its when you start getting into drivetrain and electronics when you start having problems.

Members online

No members online now.
Back