I can't be helped...

hottweelz

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted the following on www.cadillacforums.com but they won't help me
I had my Coupe DeVille for 6 months and a little part inside the tranny... apparently some sort of "valve" went.

Local Tranny shop said that for them to replace this "valve" that somehow causes a "compression leak" they'd have to pull the whole tranny out and crack it open! :( He said the price would be cheaper to just buy a rebuilt and have it installed!

Has anyone had the Deville or similar, fall into neutral while you roll up to a traffice light? The transmission works GREAT on the hiway or shifting, and everything! Just goes to Neutral when comming to a stop! So sad, you either have to put it back in Drive or rev the gas a little and it pops back in. Think it's really this?

I bought a Beautiful Lincoln Mark VIII from a dealership so I feel a little better with a warranty, but I'm NOT getting rid of my 1990 Coupe DeVille (I don't think just yet)... I barely got to drive it (only 6 months) and never even got to post my pic of the car here yet :(

So now that I have a Lincoln, I did wind up getting all my research from www.lincolnvscadillac.com and it's pretty cool over there (no real Cadillac Owners on that site yet) but I got all my Lincoln needs there! Any ideas about the Cadillac Tranny? Also is it a 4t60? or a 4t60E? Cuz I got a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with the v6 (4t60) tranny which I think is the same... Reply to me here or help me at the www.lincolnvscadillac.com site. Thanks again for the help, I know this is like the biggest site around and the other one doesn't have a lot of Caddy owners, but I need all the help I can get!

cuz they suck, i can't even update that post now.... checked and I'm NOT banned, so I dunno...

Joeychgo said:
there is a time limit on editing posts
I meant thread, the thread was pulled, I can only find it by using the link in the email I got.. look on the forum itself and it's gone :(

I will try my best here,

in 90 i believe the deville still had the 4.9 litre. So i believe that the degree of automation may be limited and we all know transmission shops. "hey your gas cap is not on right, but if you replace the tranmission it will fix that." Is there a shift position lever on the transmission or a cable? Do all the other gears fall in like they should? (this is from a lincoln standpoint). But being front wheel drive transmission they are usually a bit more technical than a traditional transmission and it is possible.

Members online

Back