I broke something...not sure what

LS2001

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so, i was installing the LED's in my gauge cluster (they came out great BTW..), and i seem to have broke something...my car wont start now, everything powers up like it should...but when i turn the key, zip, zilch...nada.

i thought it was something with the theft deterrent, but i have no lights on the cluster that shows theft...

i guess my question is this: did by chance i blow something in the cluster itself? the reason i suspect this is because i made a bonehead mistake, i was trying to get the needles to line back up (when i opened the clear cover, i had a fan blowing and it threw the needles out of whack before i could mark the location) so i started the car with the cluster installed and popped the needle off and pressed it back on where it "should" be (bone-head move, i know) it wouldn't start after that.

is it possible i blew a fuse? if so, which one?

...i thought it was something with the theft deterrent, but i have no lights on the cluster that shows theft...

That's not how it works.
Your PATS light is the little red light in the dome by the windshield at the center of the dash.
If it doesn't light up at all - you blew a fuse or damaged the cluster.
If it flashes rapidly, then PATS is preventing your car from starting. Turn the key on and wait (takes a while) for the rapid flash to stop and then start flashing out one or more two digit codes a few times. Post those here if that is the case.

Check all the fuses closely in all three fuse boxes (the one in the passenger kick panel being the most likely one). You might also try disconnecting the battery and waiting five minutes before reconnecting it.

That's not how it works.
Your PATS light is the little red light in the dome by the windshield at the center of the dash.
If it doesn't light up at all - you blew a fuse or damaged the cluster.
If it flashes rapidly, then PATS is preventing your car from starting. Turn the key on and wait (takes a while) for the rapid flash to stop and then start flashing out one or more two digit codes a few times. Post those here if that is the case.

Check all the fuses closely in all three fuse boxes (the one in the passenger kick panel being the most likely one). You might also try disconnecting the battery and waiting five minutes before reconnecting it.

Good information, thanks man i appreciate you taking the time to help me out here...

from what i can see, it looks like i have a code of 22?

i did disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, and it didn't change a thing...

Actually, that's code 11.
It means: No connection between module (cluster) and transceiver coil (at the front of the key lock).

Make sure all the connectors to the cluster are fully seated.

thanks man, i really do appreciate your help!

after digging through the fuse box, i did find the PATS fuse blown to crap...replaced fuse and she fired right up!

guess i should have checked that before i came here and made myself look dumber than i am...

thanks man, i really do appreciate your help!

after digging through the fuse box, i did find the PATS fuse blown to crap...replaced fuse and she fired right up!

guess i should have checked that before i came here and made myself look dumber than i am...

so everything is done all led's are ok if so show some pictures of the cluster thanks

2013-05-17_19-43-43_734.jpg2013-05-17_19-44-06_902.jpg2013-05-17_19-44-00_407.jpg2013-05-17_19-43-53_892.jpg

2013-05-17_19-43-43_734.jpg

2013-05-17_19-44-06_902.jpg

2013-05-17_19-44-00_407.jpg

2013-05-17_19-43-53_892.jpg

also, while i was trying to get to the tough nut for the cluster...the wrench slipped and i did more damage...one of those days, i swear

2013-05-17_19-35-27_213.jpg

2013-05-17_19-35-27_213.jpg

A few night pics.

anyone know the name of the part i broke? cant seem to find it anywhere, i know it has something to do with the tilt wheel....

2013-05-18_00-53-01_989.jpg2013-05-18_00-52-51_499.jpg

2013-05-18_00-53-01_989.jpg

2013-05-18_00-52-51_499.jpg

got to do something bout them needles.

having the cluster light up at night all cool doesn't do any good if you cant read where they are...

got to do something bout them needles.

having the cluster light up at night all cool doesn't do any good if you cant read where they are...

yea, i agree.

i was thinking clear UV reactive paint as blue LED does produce "some" uv effects.

im more worried about the part i broke...i still cant believe i did that /facepalm

anyone know what the name of that part is? i can only assume it has something to do with the steering wheel movements...

Hard to tell. Is it a wiring connector?

yes, it goes to the long black plastic "box" you see above my hand...you can see the white line on both pieces.

i just have no clue what it is...

Can you just shove it back in? Does the steering wheel still telescope and tilt?

Can you just shove it back in? Does the steering wheel still telescope and tilt?

no, it cant be shoved back in... the black piece was part of the "box", it snapped off with the plug still connected (plug is white)....you can see the break on the PCB (Printed circuit board).

the tilt/telescoping will work a bit, it move a small amount and then stops..i can press the button again and it will move again.

Does that component unbolt from the column?

i seen one hex screw, but the box is long, and it goes down into the aluminum housing for the telescope...i haven't tried to take it out yet...it looks like it wont be an easy job though..

Members online

Back