hydrogen booster thingy for the VIII???

Yeah go ahead and buy it and let us know.

The easiest way to get hydrogen is to separate the hydrogen and oxygen particles of water. You do this by connecting a dc voltage to two conductors, usually carbon rods out of a large battery. Space the carbon rods apart, hook up the battery, and shortly you will begin to see bubbles forming on both rods. One is oxygen and the other is hydrogen.

But which one is which? Simply place a burning match directly about the water level next to the rod. The one that burns is hydrogen.

Ok, so that's the easy part, the hard part is containing it for use, the easiest way of do that is to encapsulate the carbon rods in a container with a bottom facing opening, this way you can submerge the container and the rod will still be in the water. Remember, gases rise so eventually the container will fill up with gas and push it to water level if not weighted down.

Basicialy what I'm saying is, you might be able to produce enough hydrogen for actual use if you had a giant tub in the trunk, full of water, with a couple hundred carbon rods but probably not.

Your welcome for your Sunday morning science lesson!

First-hand experience

I cannot speak for the actual product, but I can vouch for the technology. The process of producing oxygen and hydrogen gases via electricity is electrolysis. This mix of gases is commonly called "Brown's Gas." There is no need to "contain " the gas for use. Brown's Gas is lighter than air, and therefore, naturally rises out of the water. This gas can then be channeled to the air intake or vacuum line. The light suction from the engine is sufficient to pull the gases in. I built a similar unit with PVC pipes and stainless steel stacks and installed it on a 2006 Ford Fusion. General fuel economy increased by about 26%, and peak fuel economy increased by about 72%. I also performed an oil change, used octane booster, a small bit of acetone in the fuel, and increased tire pressure. Feel free to ask any questions.

I seem to think increasing the tire pressure by 20 psi alone would yield better fuel economy. I also think it's very dangerous to inflate tire pressure over by 20 psi!!! The fuel heater is a joke as well, you could make the same thing for 10 bucks with parts from the home depot. His magic engine treatment is nothing more than snake oil IMO. That hydrogen booster thing looks like a homemade piece of garbage & the swicthes under his dash are totally rigged up & look horrible! I personally think it's a total scam! If it worked so great wouldn't the auto makers be using it?

Focus!!!!! (aggravating when watching a video clip)

I also question the "50 lbs psi is equal to 35 psi of tire pressure on a warm afternoon"...not being a total science "nerd" ;) , my question is can that be correct??

While I, personally, am all about the use of hydrogen in cars, I don't believe it's financially viable yet at this point. They finally seem to be working in that direction, but I still think we're a few years away. Not real sure what to think about this guy.
:confused:

:cool:

I heard on a "car talk" radio show this weekend that folks were adding 10% chlorine to the fuel tank and get 5% better fuel economy.

Great for the first 5-6K but after that it destroys the fuel system - who thinks up this crap?

Focus!!!!! (aggravating when watching a video clip)

I also question the "50 lbs psi is equal to 35 psi of tire pressure on a warm afternoon"...not being a total science "nerd" ;) , my question is can that be correct??

:cool:

Absolutely not! Here's another science nerd speaking up...

According to the ideal gas law PV = nRT, that is Pressure X Volume = number (of moles of gas) X R (universal gas constant) X Temperature (in absolute). Now since air does not behave exactly as an ideal gas we add an adjustment factor when dealing with air, let's call it "k". So PV = knRT.

Since we are dealing with a known volume of gas (in the tire), the same material in the tire (air), our only variables are Temperature and Pressure. So we must say that Pressure is directly related to change in Temperature. But here's the thing... Temperature is measured in Absolute (Kelvin) temperature. 32 degrees F = 0 degrees C = 273.15 degrees K and one degree C = one degree K. This means even an extreem change (say from -20F to 100F) only produces ~67 degrees of change in Kelvin temperature (from 244.27 to 310.92 K).

Therefore if we have 35 psi of pressure at 244.27K and increase the temperature to 310.92K we will get only 44 psi of pressure. And that is over a relatively huge temperature change by human standards. It is extremely dangerous to inflate a tire above the maximum working pressure recommended by the manufacturer.

His "video evidence" of his "product" working is laughable! As one member noted, the video is out of focus for half of the show, he does not prove that he is maintaining constant speed (no timed runs), he is driving a stick, he is making the engine work harder (by drawing 15 additional amps of power for his unit), and he is using more than just the product he is selling to make those gains.

I've seen similar "hydrogen fuel cell" add ons advertised in Popular Science before and I laughed at them as well. They cost too much to make up the difference (similar to hybrid cars) and the methods used to get the claimed gains are more than just the product (ie heating the fuel, filling the tires, etc). Everyone knows that a properly maintained car will get better gas mileage than one that is poorly maintained. Besides I'd like to see you try to unplug an O2 sensor in the Lincoln and get better gass mileage. I don't think so.

For instance: you buy one of these things for $1000 and it does improve your gas mileage by 25% (say from 20mpg to 25mpg average)... it will take you over 30,000 miles to recoop that $1000 from gas savings at $3.25 per gallon. At $5.00 per gallon the $1000 will be regained in exactly 20k miles with the previous efficiency ratings. At $5 per gallon if you are somehow able to make a dramatic increase in efficiency to a pinto car from 40mpg to 60mpg it will still take you 24,000 miles to recoop that $1k. You see my point here.
Driving habits are the number one way to reduce your fuel useage!!!

BTW.... Mr. Wizzard Rocks! So does Professor Julius Sumner Miller!!

i have ocean front property in Ohio that has an unlimited source of hydrogen and will sell it for less that that bargain kit of almost a GRAND!!! And, as an aside to those who carry on about it, that is NOT a good feedback rating and it does not include any feedbacks that relate to this miracle potion.
There is another one that is going around now on craigslist, for $190.00 With the price of gas, I'd try out some kind of experiment on my Jeep TJ ( 98 with a 4.0 bullet-proof six) but not on a mark. What , exactly, are 'carbon rods'?-and, do you connect the pos and neg leads to these while suspended in H20? It sounds real voodoo...I'd waste $20 and a couple hours on it, that's about it.

Members online

Back