Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjuster

97 Octane

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've inherited the dreaded ticking noise from under my passenger side valve cover. My friend is helping me fix the problem. After removing the valve cover, he was able to identify one of the hydraulic lash adjuster on #3 cylinder went bad and is the one causing the noise.

image.jpg

My question is:
Is there an inexpensive way to remove the HVLA without spending a ton on specialty rotunda tool?

Are there anything else I should be looking for while I have the valve cover off?

In the meantime, I guess I start by cleaning off all those years of carbon deposit residue.

image.jpg

That Craftsman screwdriver sure left a good gouge in the cam lobe edge when he slipped the first time "installing" it. I guess I might try to not do that, but otherwise seems straight forward.

That Craftsman screwdriver sure left a good gouge in the cam lobe edge when he slipped the first time "installing" it. I guess I might try to not do that, but otherwise seems straight forward.

Looks like the screwdriver had some old white paint that scratched off, not a gouge

You might want to put a piece of electrical tape on the cam side of the driver, just as a little insurance, but those cams are hardened and shouldn't damage in that way that easily.

Instead of ordering the 32 piece Tappet kit, I just ordered what I needed to replace. Since I did not hear any tapping noise under the drivers side valve cover, I decided to leave that side alone. No sense on spending money on any part of the car thats working just fine.

The Motorcraft HVLA Tappet part number is: F6DZ-6C501-A. List price is $21.81 each.

I was able to get them for a little over $17. each from my local Ford dealer.

The Motorcraft passenger side valve cover gasket part number is: F7LZ-6584-AA, $39 ,
was also ordered as the old one is supposed to be discarded and not meant to be reused. Thanks for all your help everyone!

I never felt comfortable using the screwdriver trick after seeing damage done from it. I've only seen damaged valves photos on MHS site, never saw anyone post damaged valves. The screwdriver trick does work but I just bought the rotunda tool. Cheaper than fixing a bent valve.

Members online

No members online now.
Back