Hydraulic cooling fan problem

dw012

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My fan stays running at the same speed all the time even from initial start up.
If I use my A/C the engine will overheat. I checked several times to see if the fan runs faster when the A/C is turned on, but it doesn't. The pump for the fan makes a little noise but I'm not sure if that is the problem. Is there a
solenoid or relay used to make the fan run slower or faster?

First off do you have fan fluid? Next...do you have coolant. Take it in...I had leaks, and then I had to get a new serpentine belt..and a new thermostat and a new water pump..and a whole slew of things.

I have both fan fluid in the resevoir and coolant in the tank. I had the system pressure tested and it was OK. Anything else I can check?

The temp guage never goes past the middle. Do you think the thermostat is stuck open? If it was stuck closed then the engine would overheat all the time. It only overheats if I use the A/C for more than say 10 minutes. Do I have to flush my coolant if i change the thermostat?

I'm pretty sure there was problems with both it being stuck open and closed. I'm not sure what's necessary but if you search the forums you should find something relatively easy.

Car overheating with ac on??

My fan stays running at the same speed all the time even from initial start up.
If I use my A/C the engine will overheat. I checked several times to see if the fan runs faster when the A/C is turned on, but it doesn't. The pump for the fan makes a little noise but I'm not sure if that is the problem. Is there a
solenoid or relay used to make the fan run slower or faster?

Yes your hydraulic fan pump does has a relay and a solenoid,most likely the solenoid went out and is not opening up for fluid to pass through,a way to check is to find what wires are power and ground at the solenoid,then run your own power n ground and if nothing happens its your solenoid but if fan turns faster there are power and ground issues.

What he said. ^

Good luck getting your hands in there to find the thing though. Not exactly roomy under the hood of the LS.

No kiddin. Didn't even see that before you pointed it out. Just figured its that time of year for these threads to come up.

no doubt 97, it's heating up in a lot of states.
.....4 days and going with no overheating in 90+ degree weather 4 me, pump doing it's job.
damn I appreciate A/C more now!

Members online

Back