hunting for gen 1 third brake light

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I would like to replace mine (just need the innards with red plastic) but this is becoming challenging. I can grab a vintage stock online for 120 ish, but want to see if get a clean UNMELTED used one first. I grabbed a pic a part one, but didnt notice the fine cracks in it until I got it home and cleaned it. oh well six bucks lost.

There seems to be a lot out there in the pic a parts on the web, but getting them to go check it to see if its melted is proving a challenge.

Anyone got a line on one?

Ya, those dont melt so much, but I have seen them too. I have 2 in good shape, and have even wondered about making a lens for them, but I just dont have the right tools for brittle lens plastics, even assuming I could find a flat generic piece like that.

GOOOOOOOAALLL! :wrench

Hehe, found a TBL at pick a part last niight mint condition! That and a brand new upper radiator tube all for 17 bucks! Wanted the lower too, but didnt match my oil cooler version.

I am wondering now if these things melting have something to do with the sun through the glass and the bulb heat combined. This car had tint on the whole back window, with the light underneath.

Going to keep my eye on pick a parts like this and grab a back up just in case.

There are LED aftermarket TBLs with an aluminium housing. You might look at such places as Summit & Jegs. There is a billet aluminium TBL in the Speedway catalog. The part number is 910-51300. Costs $39.

KS

ya thanks cammerfe, that was a thought when looking. I was hoping to keep the car stock though. I believe I will be ok with the new system, I use a red LED 'bulb' now, and that just gets warm. Can hold it in my bare hand for some time when its on. Cant do that with a factory style bulb.

Members online

Back