Hunting down random gas smell

i_like_penguins

New LVC Member
Reaction score
A bit of background, I purchased a 2002 ls v6 back in January. Last weekend I replaced all 6 ignition coils, plugs, valve cover gaskets, and upper intake manifold gasket. Much thanks to the info in this forum in hunting down an intermittent misfire. Since then, the car will randomly have a slight gas odor to it. After driving it around town for a bit, I parked it and removed the engine dress cover and started looking and sniffing around. Nothing looks wet like an obvious leak, but it did have an odor of gas to it. I am thinking I knocked something a bit loose while I was removing or installing the upper intake. There is some goofy metal guard at the back of the fuel rail that I ended up partially removing to get the upper intake off. I assume that there is some sort of fuel system component under it and that is where the leak is. If ford put a guard over it, I assume that means I could screw it up by knocking an intake into it. Has anyone else had any experience with this sort of problem? I hate to just start replacing parts or taking things apart when nothing is wrong with them.

You may have knocked loose or broken a fuel injector. They sit in the center of the lower intake right under the silver fuel rail.

To bad you did not change the gasket on the valve on the rear of the intake manifold. These leak oil onto the exhaust manifold near the cabin air intake. Look at the rear of the engine on the passenger side, down on the exhaust manifold. You will see a discoloration, where the dripping oil burns. It is the O-ring gasket on the big valve. It's a PITA to remove the valve to replace the O-ring (very tight space). Its no big deal, the oil just burns up, providing a smell and smoke.

Members online

No members online now.
Back