Humming Noise

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So is a humming noise coming from the rear of the car when going say 40-60 mph rear bearings that it appears is another issue with the LS? I hear it more with my foot on the gas, if I let off the pedal and it seems to get quieter.

I read something about a half shaft also, not sure what that is. When there is an issue with that does it make a slight humming sound as well? Thoughts?

I am a little confused that it changes with engine power and not vehicle speed. Maybe exhaust related?
You could put it on jack stands in the back, turn the AdvancTrac off and see if you can better localize the sound with the car not moving. (It will cause an ABS/AdvancTrac error but it will clear when the wheels are on the ground. Also, note that this can be dangerous.) Don't go more than 70 MPH, because one wheel could be turning twice as fast.

I didn't know if maybe there was a bit more torque on it then vs when the car is 'coasting?' Thanks Joe.

I noticed the AdvancTrac is turned off already. Is there any advantage to leaving it off? Here we don't get any snow and 4 inches of rain a year. Does it help in other ways other than road conditions such as wet/ice, etc.? I understand that if it rains to turn it on, but just wondering if it should be left on always?

I am a little confused that it changes with engine power and not vehicle speed. Maybe exhaust related?
You could put it on jack stands in the back, turn the AdvancTrac off and see if you can better localize the sound with the car not moving. (It will cause an ABS/AdvancTrac error but it will clear when the wheels are on the ground. Also, note that this can be dangerous.) Don't go more than 70 MPH, because one wheel could be turning twice as fast.

I noticed the AdvancTrac is turned off already. Is there any advantage to leaving it off? Here we don't get any snow and 4 inches of rain a year. Does it help in other ways other than road conditions such as wet/ice, etc.? I understand that if it rains to turn it on, but just wondering if it should be left on always?
"The AdvanceTrac constantly monitors the vehicle motion relative to the driver’s intended course. This is done by using added sensors that compare the steering inputs from the driver with the actual motion of the vehicle. When there is a discrepancy between the driver’s inputs and the vehicle motion, AdvanceTrac changes the force at each tire to help control the vehicle. If the vehicle begins to rotate excessively left or right, spin out, or slide sideways, the system will attempt to correct the excessive motion. If the vehicle does not respond to steering inputs, the system will attempt to increase the turning response of the vehicle." Straight out of the owner manual, also when traveling over ice and snow it will greatly improve the car's ability to handle such conditions safely. I'm from Minnesota or better known as Minne " SNOW " ta and I'm glad this rear wheel drive has Traction Control.

Just to be clear here:
You could have AdvancTrac or traction control. Traction control has a spinning tire symbol, and just tries to counter spinning of one of the rear wheels when accelerating. AdvancTrac has a sliding car symbol and in addition to traction control, it tries (using all four brakes) to keep the car heading in the direction that you are steering.

In either case, the system is on when the lights (instrument panel and on the switch) are off. When the lights are on solid, the system is off or disabled. (The light flashing on the dash means it is actively doing some braking at that moment.)

The system comes on by default every time you start the car. If you want it to be off (why?), then you have to turn it off every time. If yours is staying off, then yours has a fault. I'd fix it. Yes, it helps in dry conditions too. It helps if you take a turn too hard. It helps if you hit a patch of oil or sand. It helps if you are forced off the road into the dirt. Basically, it helps anytime you aren't drag racing or trying to do power slides.

I was mistaken, it is on, not off. That's what I was wondering, so unless I'm drag racing or doing power slides it will remain on.

Just to be clear here:
You could have AdvancTrac or traction control. Traction control has a spinning tire symbol, and just tries to counter spinning of one of the rear wheels when accelerating. AdvancTrac has a sliding car symbol and in addition to traction control, it tries (using all four brakes) to keep the car heading in the direction that you are steering.

In either case, the system is on when the lights (instrument panel and on the switch) are off. When the lights are on solid, the system is off or disabled. (The light flashing on the dash means it is actively doing some braking at that moment.)

The system comes on by default every time you start the car. If you want it to be off (why?), then you have to turn it off every time. If yours is staying off, then yours has a fault. I'd fix it. Yes, it helps in dry conditions too. It helps if you take a turn too hard. It helps if you hit a patch of oil or sand. It helps if you are forced off the road into the dirt. Basically, it helps anytime you aren't drag racing or trying to do power slides.

Thanks. So where in Minne SNOW ta are you from?

"The AdvanceTrac constantly monitors the vehicle motion relative to the driver’s intended course. This is done by using added sensors that compare the steering inputs from the driver with the actual motion of the vehicle. When there is a discrepancy between the driver’s inputs and the vehicle motion, AdvanceTrac changes the force at each tire to help control the vehicle. If the vehicle begins to rotate excessively left or right, spin out, or slide sideways, the system will attempt to correct the excessive motion. If the vehicle does not respond to steering inputs, the system will attempt to increase the turning response of the vehicle." Straight out of the owner manual, also when traveling over ice and snow it will greatly improve the car's ability to handle such conditions safely. I'm from Minnesota or better known as Minne " SNOW " ta and I'm glad this rear wheel drive has Traction Control.

Thanks. So where in Minne SNOW ta are you from?
45 minutes southwest of the Twin Cities, we don't get as much snow as we use to but we still get at least a couple good storms that produce blizzard white out conditions on our roads

Members online

No members online now.
Back