humming noise after replacing the alternator

^ yeah it seems high but hey ... they gotta keep the lights on and make payroll each week also, no? In turn what you do, while waiting is go to the part department and waste some of their time by having them look up various parts and prices ... yet purchase nothing! (always a good time)

... and I am a bettin' man! ... I'll go ahead and place my money on he needs a new degas bottle as it has hairline cracks in it which is depleting the pressure needed in the system, as it expands and contracts it lets air in, probably coolant level while cold is past minimum line. It will eventually begin to drip coolant directly behind the drivers front wheel.

I'll start lining up those parts for replacement. Dealership said it may 1.5 hours of diagnostics to determine the problem - does that seem high (I would assume if common symptoms/issue they could get to the route faster than that?

It seems insanely high to me, if you haven't replaced all your cooling system parts already. It seems very reasonable if you have replaced all the cooling system parts, made a couple of attempts at rebleeding and used the Motorcraft degas bottle instead of the Dorman degas bottle.

It seems insanely high to me, if you haven't replaced all your cooling system parts already. It seems very reasonable if you have replaced all the cooling system parts, made a couple of attempts at rebleeding and used the Motorcraft degas bottle instead of the Dorman degas bottle.

I have to agree. I can see three scenarios, and that "diagnosis" time is only reasonable for one of them.

1. Car is overheating and you haven't replaced most of the plastic parts - No diagnosis time needed, replace the common failure parts.
2. Car is overheating and you used aftermarket bottle, didn't bleed correctly, so on - Little diagnosis time needed. Replace aftermarket parts.
3. You replaced all of the plastic cooling system parts (possible exception of the radiator) and correctly bleed it by the book - 1.5 hour diagnosis time is very reasonable.

Obviously your motor is overheating. 1 is for sure your cooling system is shot. either you have a leaking system or air in the system. Another is waterpump is shot.

For the most part the water pumps are good on these Lincoln LS'es, although they do go and you'd find a few that report replacing it, for the most part, it will out last the other cooling system parts.

Might as well replace the water pump though. You have the rest of the cooling system off and out of the way anyway, system is drained, and hey look, there's the water pump right in front of you. Use a new one, the rebuilders have very lax standards on what passes and what doesn't and in some cases appear to do nothing more than dunk the part in degreaser before sending it back to be sold.

For the most part the water pumps are good on these Lincoln LS'es, although they do go and you'd find a few that report replacing it, for the most part, it will out last the other cooling system parts.

Yep. Seems like the water pump gasket sometimes fails (gen II), but the pump itself seems to very rarely be a problem.

Nothing has been done as yet so all original parts so I thought the 1.5 hours seems like a long time if there are know aging issues with the cooling system parts. We have a long weekend coming up this weekend so I'll look at the various parts then start ordering. Was looking at Tasca but the plastic cooling parts don't come up so I'll have to call them once I know what I need (and also check the same dealership for pricing). The LS isn't being driven much right now since my wife is between jobs and the other daily driver has been acting up (lost the AWD, AOC pump, and washer fluid pump on the Volvo recently, and possibly need a new front passenger strut)....trying to get this one back in proper running form then focus on the LS but should be nice weather this weekend for giving her some attention...then get the Mustang back on the road for the summer. Man, it's going to be a busy weekend!

The 1.5 hours does seem long given no investigation or repairs have been done as yet so the obvious things to look at (for the dealership techs) would be the things you guys pointed to as "typical culprits" for our cars...which probably shouldn't take 1.5 hours.

I noticed last night that my Coolant Outlet Pipe was cracked and had coolant bubbling on the crack after I drove the car last night. #7 in the picture and the area in the white circle in the second pic.

I know someone else had posted they had a crack in their thermostat housing which sits in front of the outlet pipe so the OP may want to check these metal parts also.

Sorry, second pic should be rotated left/counter-clockwise.

s6xusenfilen0005512.gifgenref_zpsgdikrgfb.jpg

IMG_0887_zpstc7knh0c.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back