LVC Member
Reaction score
How to replace and install sun roof rail assembly kits for Lincoln LS

Tools needed:
T-20 Torx bit screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver
10mm socket and drive

Part A: FRONT AND REAR DOME LIGHT REMOVAL

1. Pry the plastic cover off of the sun visor that is covering the screws. Use the T-20 torx screw driver to remove the three screws (pic.1). You can let the sun visor hang with the wires attached. As long as you don't pull on the visor it will be OK.
2. Remove the T-20 torx screw from the sun visor rest and remove.
3. Pry the plastic covers off of the grab handle and remove the two T-20 torx screws. Remove grab handle. (pic2)
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the passenger side.
5. Once the sun visors, clips and grab handles are removed take out the A-Pillar covers. They are held in with clips so you may have to give it a firm pull on each side. Once out just lay them on the dash.
6. Remove dome light cover (pic 3)

Part B: HEADLINER AND PILLARS REMOVAL

1. Remove both front pillars (pillar A). Firm pull it from top to loose retainer clips. Slide pillar A out of its location and place them on dash. They should come out easy.
2. Remove middle pillars (pillar B). Firm pull it from top to loose retainer clips. Slide pillar B out of its location and place them on dash. They should come out easy.
3. Remove rear pillars (pillar C). Firm pull it from top to loose retainer clips. Leave pillars C loose in-place just enough to pull out headliner
4. Pull headliner down and let it hanging for just enough space to access sun roof assembly.

Part C: SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY REMOVAL OUT OF VEHICLE AND PLACE ON WORK BENCH

1. Remove sun roof fasteners from vehicle (8x 10mm bolts)
2. Disconnect four corner tubes (water drain tubes and remember reconnect to avoid leaking)
3. Slide sun roof assembly out of the vehicle through driver side door.
4. Place sun roof assembly on the work bench.
5. Remove run roof’s glass fasteners and glass from assembly.

Part D: RAIL DISASSEMBLY AND INTALL NEW ASSEMBLY KITS

1. Drill out 4 rivets and remove end caps from the rear
2. Mark motor location on the sun roof rails. This is important step to mark motor tralver locations and wire cables locations. (pic 4)
3. Remove three T-20 torx screws from motor and one bolt from motor module (black). See pictures 5 and 6.
4. Remove motor from assembly. Note: other side of motor have gear contact to wire cable and module. After remove the motor and module, the calble assembly and kits now can slide out toward to the rear. (pic 7)

Part E: INTALL NEW ASSEMBLY KIT

1. Slide new assembly kits into rails. Stop motor cable at marked location (remember this mark)
2. Install three T-20 torx screws to motor and one bolt to motor module.
3. Install two end caps. You can use fasteners instead of rivets incase you need disassembly again.
4. Install everythings back…

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

DSC_4.jpg

DSC_5.jpg

DSC_6.jpg

DSC_7.jpg

what a great write-up. they should definitely put this on the tech articles

Thank you for your comments. It wasn't hard to do. it took roughly half day.

well i have the on-going problem that my sunroof doesn't automatically go all the way back at once. i have to keep pushing the open button all the way till it gets there (usually it's like 20 pushes, so annoying).

well i have the on-going problem that my sunroof doesn't automatically go all the way back at once. i have to keep pushing the open button all the way till it gets there (usually it's like 20 pushes, so annoying).

Maybe cables are bad or worn out at the end. Those cables are attached to the motor module. Sound like the module and motor are working properly, so got to be the cables.

wow good write up i have to pull out my sunroof it went bad so tomorrow i'm putting a new one in from an 01

it was a good write up i used a lot of your info but i didn change my cables i just swapped the whole sunroof b/c my tracks went bad and b/c my sun roof wasnt closing i pushed it and broke the arms that make it tilt :( i got a whole new sunroof fora 150 from a junk yard

Maybe cables are bad or worn out at the end. Those cables are attached to the motor module. Sound like the module and motor are working properly, so got to be the cables.

lincoln4182, try greasing up your sunroof tracks. my new sunroof was doing the same thing for a so once i got her to open up i greased it up reall good using the white grease thats in a can and she opens with one touch now

is the process the same for the gen 2? i tried to get it to come down, but i had trouble. i pulled on the front where the front dome light set is, and it came down as the clip released it. at that point, it looked like if i pull anymore, i may damage the headliner. so i decided to put everything back together and just take it to an interior shop.

the interior lights don't work after that. none of them, including the courtesy lights in the mirrors outside, or the ones on the vanity mirror. everything else works. i thought it might be a fuse, but can't find one.

any thoughts?

bump again. anyone? please? i know you guys have thoughts...

Great post, it helped alot with my son's 2005. The only thing to add would be that if you need to fix the drain hose, you need a 3/8" ID hose with a straight double nipple hose connector. Then carefully struggle to get it reconnected.

Members online

No members online now.
Back