How to remove the wheel speed sensor to press in the lower ball joint??

ReneRobert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of replacing the passenger side lower ball joint on my 01' LS. I removed the steering knuckle but I can't figure out how to get the d@#n wheel speed sensor out. I need to remove it so I can press out the old ball joint and press in the new one.

Hi, you need to remove the hub assembly, don't try to take the speed sensor off. What is it, four bolts? Take that off, and you will be good to go. It might take some work to get it to separate from the knuckle.

remove the bolts from the inside of the knuckle, they are arranged in a square pattern around the speed sensor that is in your way. Once the bolts are out, you should be able to get the hub to come out of the knuckle. I had to leave the bolts threaded into the hub a few turns, and made a jig on the floor that allowed me to beat on the bolts to push the hub out, because there is a lot of salt used on new england roads, which corroded the two aseemblies together. That may not be the case in your florida car.

Ok mikey I will give that a try.

And thank you Hawk but I already got the sensor desconnected. I'm trying to get the hub out of the knuckle. My bad for using wrong terminology.

Thanks guys!

The four bolts are out and I've been beating on this thing for a while and no budge. I'm about ready to throw it back together

hub comes out towards the outside of the car. It might be frozen in place - it's a tight fit. Although, I just took out one that had been on for 150k miles and it slid right out.

Mine is STUCK, I rented a hub puller kit but the center nut of the hub is frozen with rust so the freakin kit does me no good at the moment

I used a cold chisel and a ball peen hammer the first time. I was able to get it to separate from the knuckle. YOu just have to pay attention to where the bolt holes are. That's the only place to get any grab. The second time, I used a sledgehammer. That probably wasn't the best on the tie rods/ball joints/shocks though. I figured it was probably less force than hitting bumps/potholes in the interstate, but could be wrong. I have done it both times when it was attached to the car.

I ran out of time today, got to work all weekend and finals on Mon & Tue. I'll tear it apart next week and give your technique a try Pektel. I like the idea of the sledgehammer lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back