How to loosen to the A/C pulley belt?

Tony_1992

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently I have my A/C system checked at firestone. The symptom is that: pressure at low side is about 80psi and pressure at high side is very low. That implies a failed A/C compressor. They ask $900+ for the compressor replacement and that's far beyond my budget so I decided to do it with my friends.
(I let them evacuate the R134a refrigerant thus it wont be hazardous to the environment. )

I bought a brand new compressor from Amazon. It comes with pre-filled PAG oil, O-rings and a drier(very easy to replace). Now I'm gonna work on the compressor.

So just wondering does anybody knows how to loosen the pulley belt? I know it could be done by turning a bolt, but I don't know which bolt is it.

Thank you guys. As a return, I'm very glad to post my detailed experience here with pictures after replacing it.

Tension on the belt is controlled by a spring-loaded pulley over which the belt runs. Trace the belt or look at a schematic. The pulley is easily pried over against the spring and then it's easy to pull the belt off the compressor pulley. While you're doing so, check to see if the tensioner arm/pulley might also need to be replaced. the bearing sometimes develops a 'rumble'.

KS

What brand of compressor did you get, what was the price if I may ask?

I bought the same UAC products, may have them put in next week. There are supposed to be a tier one manufacturer, hopefully will hold up well. Let us know how it works out for you.

I bought the same UAC products, may have them put in next week. There are supposed to be a tier one manufacturer, hopefully will hold up well. Let us know how it works out for you.
HAhaha I will let you down. Cause I don't have enough time until the end of this month. There are three exams ahead of me.

I meant whenever you get it in. Just curious as to your thoughts about the UAC compressor.

Hey, I tried that one. Lasted a month or two.

What!! But why? What happend to it?

It quickly got to where it would only cool at higher engine speeds. No cooling at idle. By then, I had figured out that the leak in my old compressor was from the o-ring for the scroll control valve at the back. I replaced the o-ring and put the old compressor back in. That was a good while ago, and it is still doing well and still not leaking.

It quickly got to where it would only cool at higher engine speeds. No cooling at idle. By then, I had figured out that the leak in my old compressor was from the o-ring for the scroll control valve at the back. I replaced the o-ring and put the old compressor back in. That was a good while ago, and it is still doing well and still not leaking.
OK I was almost frightened. I thought you were saying that the compressor was not good in quality.

Oh and there's another thing. I still don't know the procedure of removing belt from pulley. The tutorial is too simplified, 'Remove the drive belt from the A/C compressor pulley.'

It there any knack on this?

Last edited:
Look down from above and find the belt tensioner arm. It has a square hole in it that fits a socket handle. Pull the handle to your right (left side of the car) as far as you can. This will release the tension on the belt and someone under the car can move it off and over the compressor.
If this is what is holding you up, then wait till you try to get the compressor out.

Also, my take away from my compressor failing so very soon after installing it, is that it is/was very low in quality. I tossed it.

Look down from above and find the belt tensioner arm. It has a square hole in it that fits a socket handle. Pull the handle to your right (left side of the car) as far as you can. This will release the tension on the belt and someone under the car can move it off and over the compressor.
If this is what is holding you up, then wait till you try to get the compressor out.

Also, my take away from my compressor failing so very soon after installing it, is that it is/was very low in quality. I tossed it.
Well, if it's that bad in quality, do you have any recommendation of some good compressors? I can return it to Amazon. Thank you.

Motorcraft. IIRC, about the only major non-Motorcraft part that I can remember @joegr running is a radiator, maybe an alternator.

joegr, I meant that when I mentioned I bought a UAC in my recent post, you didn't say that was the brand that you had bad luck with, you just said it was Chinese, that could have been one of a lot of brands. (Motorcraft is probably built in China) But on this post when you noticed the UAC brand, you said that was the brand that didn't work out for you. I was just wondering why you didn't say that UAC was the 'bad' brand when I did my recent post that you commented in as well.

UAC is built by a tier 1 manufacturer, which means it's the same as where OEM parts are made. According to a friend of mine who's an exec at a manufacturing plant in the US that makes cooling system parts, radiators, etc. He said if it's made by a tier 1 manufacturer, it should be ok. This is one reason I decided to try UAC out, had you mentioned it was actually the brand you had bad luck with, I may have considered something else. I would have had to send it back and all, but I didn't know UAC was the brand you were referring to in my post. Oh well.

I try, few listen.

sam-kinison2.jpg

Told you before Joe, use bigger fonts

Had our UAC compressor ($132) and dryer ($15) and seal kit ($15) installed this week. Didn't do the condenser or expansion valve. Free shipping. ($162 total) It's working great so far. I'll update if it doesn't work out.

Order # 61632525 Shipped
2006 LINCOLN LS 3.9L V8

MOTORCRAFT YCC148 A/C Compressor$ 375.79
MOTORCRAFT YJ486 A/C Condenser $ 209.99
MOTORCRAFT YL190 A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator$ 56.79
ShippingGround$ 19.98
Order Total $ 662.55

Had our UAC compressor ($132) and dryer ($15) and seal kit ($15) installed this week. Didn't do the condenser or expansion valve. Free shipping. ($162 total) It's working great so far. I'll update if it doesn't work out.
Oh you installed it before me. Did you installed it by yourself, or other mechanist?

Also, did you follow the instruction to drain the PAG oil in the new compressor and refill new oil?

What is the previous symptom of your LS?

Had a shop do it. Had a bad leak, wouldn't hold 'freon' when they tried to charge it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back