How to Fit 335/30/18 Tires

falcon50

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Once the 550 rwhp Terminator motor is installed, I'd like to run Nitto Tires NT555R EXTREME DRAG 335/30ZR18 tires on 12" wheels. I'm assuming the car will have to be mini-tubed. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? Should I put the money into beefing up the Mark VIII rear and doing a hub swap before it is narrowed or swap in a Terminator rear and narrow that? I'd like to retain the IRS and air ride if possible.

First a Termi rear end is wholly different. Yes you can use the axles and center section but that is all that is swappable. From there you are going to need to measure for backspacing, have a custom wheel made, and I'm betting the sway bar is going to be an issue.

What is your goal with the car once that engine is in? Are you worried about traction? If so I wouldn't want to rely on the stock IRS if you are going to be drag racing it a lot. Sure there are mark viiis that have been 10s on the basically stock IRS but I believe with different half shafts and center section..but who's to say how long that'll hold up..if its just going to be a fast street car then that should suffice. Drag radials on the street with that much power aren't going to hook hard enough to break anything..in fact they will probably spin more than hook, at the drag strip with a prepped track surface, that's another story. On the street you won't notice a difference between a 335 drag radial and say a 295 or 315. If you just want the look of a 12" wide rim on that big of a DR then that's one thing, but not necessary for traction. You could make a 315 DR with a 10" wide wheel work just as well. This would still probably require slight modificafion to fit and the proper wheel offset. Go bigger on the sidewall height rather than overall tire width..more give in the sidewall will help with traction also.

That is great information, thanks. My goal is to have a fast street car that has as much traction as possible. It will probably never see the strip. I have 315/35/17 Nittos on my 500 hp Kenne Bell/5-spd Mustang and it hooks real well if I don't dump the clutch. If I go with that tire on a 10.5 Bullet rim with +27 millimeters offset, what kind of changes would I have to make...mini-tub/ narrow the rear, etc?

27 mm offset won't work on these cars with a wide wheel.
you'll want like 40 or 45 mm offset with a wheel that wide.

the 335 tire will be a chore to fit (fender clearance and all), but a 305/35ZR18 on a 10 or 10.5 inch wide wheel could be doable, as i hear notto's run narrower.

that's a lot of tire though.

where is jeremi? he knows about this stuff.

Im currently running an 18x10 rim in the rear with no modifications to the fender lips and there is an ample amount of clearance from the swaybar. When the time comes (more hp), they will get rolled or cut but as of the past year I have had zero issues with rubbing. The wheel started with 36mm offset on 18x9... they were then sent out to be widened to a 10 inch wide rim. I'm not sure what the offset changed to after being widened (Jeremi was the master/brains behind measuring and project), but the point is that its definitely obtainable. I was considering the 305/35/18 but I opted for the 285/40/18 since the widths were very similar but as Kevin stated we wanted the extra sidewall.

Great tips, thanks. I'm now looking at a NITTO NT555R DRAG RADIAL: 305/45R18 on a Foose Legend 18x9.5 / 5x4.5 / +34mm. Does that make sense?

Great tips, thanks. I'm now looking at a NITTO NT555R DRAG RADIAL: 305/45R18 on a Foose Legend 18x9.5 / 5x4.5 / +34mm. Does that make sense?

The stock diameter of a markviii tire is 26.6in.

The diameter of 305/45-18 is 28.8in (2.2in larger) equating to a 8.2% difference on the speedo.

The diameter of 305/40-18 is 27.6 (1in larger) equating to a 3.7% difference on the speedo.

The diameter of 305/35-18 is 26.4 (.2in shorter) equating to only a -.8% difference on the speedo. Making this the best choice for a 305 tire as far as keeping your speedometer fairly accurate.

The stock diameter of a markviii tire is 26.6in.

The diameter of 305/45-18 is 28.8in (2.2in larger) equating to a 8.2% difference on the speedo.

The diameter of 305/40-18 is 27.6 (1in larger) equating to a 3.7% difference on the speedo.

The diameter of 305/35-18 is 26.4 (.2in shorter) equating to only a -.8% difference on the speedo. Making this the best choice for a 305 tire as far as keeping your speedometer fairly accurate.

Never have to worry about speedo. That can be dialed in,many ways.

Members online

No members online now.
Back