How to bypass factory amp

98markviii

LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a aftermarket CD player before doing my research and found out the factory amp in my 98 is not compatible with aftermarket stereos. So I was wondering if I could just bypass the amp because a new one isn't really in my budget right now. Also where is the amp? I was sorta guessing it would be in the trunk area somewhere. Any instructions on how to bypass it if you've done it would be appreciated! And as always, thanks so much for the help

Don't bypass your amp unless you plan on upgrading your speakers because new style high dollar head units will blow the mark viii speakers in a heart beat. Im in the process of changing all of the paper Jbl speakers in the black thunder lol. I didn't install my stereo but I would assume it's in the trunk somewhere.

Something doesn't sound right here as I use my factory amp with my aftermarket head unit in my 98.

Okay, do you have any idea of the speaker size?

The main door speakers and rear panels are 6x8. I don't have any experience with JBL auxiliary speakers stuffed in other places, if you have those.

Well I hooked it up with a wire adapter harness and all the wires hooked right up fine except a couple that were for a remote and lights or something like that and the unit lights up and seems to work and all that but no sound

I had mine hooked with an adapter I bought at Walmart when I was using a single din. They have a harness at Walmart you can use. All you do is match the wires and crimp them. I bypassed the amp when I went with a high end double din unit.

Well I hooked it up with a wire adapter harness and all the wires hooked right up fine except a couple that were for a remote and lights or something like that and the unit lights up and seems to work and all that but no sound

I'm pretty sure that remote wire has to be hooked up. Its what turns the factory amp on. If the amps not on = no sound.

Members online

No members online now.
Back