How rare are these back seats?

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at some gen 1 LS's and noticed that they don't have the retractable head rests in the back. What also boggles my mind is that neither did my old interior have this design, but my parts LS does. Maybe the previous owner did a gen 2 swap on the interior?

I've been looking at some gen 1 LS's and noticed that they don't have the retractable head rests in the back. What also boggles my mind is that neither did my old interior have this design, but my parts LS does. Maybe the previous owner did a gen 2 swap on the interior?

The gen1 sports (I think V8 only) had the adjustable head rests.....

The gen1 sports (I think V8 only) had the adjustable head rests.....

I would add on my assumption that it was only earlier cars and/or optional. My 02 V8 Sport does not have them.

I'm not sure I'd want them. Why do I care about the rear passengers!? I actually prefer the look of the one-piece headrests. It reminds me of racing seats and Super Battle Droids from Star Wars Episode 1.

What I would like is front headrests with an adjustable tilt. I wonder if some other newer Fords/Lincolns have the same general dimensions and the same interior color (Gen 1 "black" isn't as dark as Gen 2 black)

My 01 V8 Sport does not have them, only adjustable on the front seats.
Which is good cuz I don't tend to drive my LS from the rear seats.

Hmmmmm..... I vaguely remember something about them being dropped for weight. Like the rear sub enclosure.

I honestly thought is was,

1st GEN = no, retractable head rests in the back.
2nd GEN = yes, retractable head rests in the back.

our 01 does not, our 03 does.

you are correct

I honestly thought is was,

1st GEN = no, retractable head rests in the back.
2nd GEN = yes, retractable head rests in the back.

our 01 does not, our 03 does.

Black book does not list retractable head rests until 2003 and it was an option for the V8 Automatic Premium Sport Preferred Package.

yeah my parts ls had the also had the sub enclosure on it but it was a regular 00' gen 1 non sport. Personally I like the rear headrest since I can now have some nice small tweeters/horns to add to my system :D

Here's a few pics:
20151023_151835.jpg

Here she is on the left, clean as a whistle before the demo; mine on the right

received_10205567487058327.jpg

Here she is after the transplant of parts onto my LS:
20151010_100016.jpg

Here she is on her way to the bone yard:
20151010_105053.jpg

received_10205567487058327.jpg

20151010_100016.jpg

20151010_105053.jpg

20151023_151835.jpg

@motor, Welcome new member and yes, I was very aware of my correctness, not my first day or LS, appreciate it though :p

@fudge, holly smokes, didn't leave much on the bone there did ya Fudge? Like a Fn pyranha, cleaned it right off. Those eyebrows work well on that color LS for sure, looks good. +1

BTW, you still got those rear 1st GEN tails kicking around, too bad we couldn't meet up that day, I was so close but simply couldn't cross the GW bridge out of route, no way I could explain that to the company, plus had to make a deadline that morning. If you still have them, we could possibly ship to Georgia or Florida, I'd be able to get my hands on them from there. Let me know.

BTW, you still got those rear 1st GEN tails kicking around, too bad we couldn't meet up that day, I was so close but simply couldn't cross the GW bridge out of route, no way I could explain that to the company, plus had to make a deadline that morning. If you still have them, we could possibly ship to Georgia or Florida, I'd be able to get my hands on them from there. Let me know.

They should be in storage; I'll pick them up probably next weekend and give you a shout via pm.

Yep, we cleaned it off pretty darn good. Only left the motor, tranny and exhaust. Everything else including fuses and relays were cleaned out :D It was definitely a fun project to have been done.

Did you pull the clock spring on it?

Went out to look at mine,,,,rear seats have headrest's ??

mine dont.

if they did i would take them out so i could see through that small rear window :)

prob why somebody along the line took them out.

...prob why somebody along the line took them out.

Probably, it didn't come with them. My 04 sport didn't come with them, but my 06 premium sport did. The various option packages changed from year to year too. You could look up your VIN and see what it shows.

Members online

Back