How much plug well oil is too much?

owlman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Still no extended warranty for VCGs on the 2006 eh? :shifty:

Mine developed some stumbling soon after passing 51K recently, but didn't throw any codes. I figured $200 for new coils and plugs is a reasonably cheap thing to try and a likely culprit. Passenger side looked pristine. i was so proud of my car. :D Then I took off the driver's side cover and saw a little oil in three cylinder wells. The photo is the one with the most.

I guess the coil(s) failed on their own, because that's a really small amount of oil, right?

I'm tempted just to clean those few drops, and check again in a year or so. What do you think?

Also, what's this yellow rustlike powder all in the coil area (only on this side)... coil cover needs a better seal?

IMG_20120508_222537.jpg

I would go ahead and replace the VCGs before it creates a bigger problem. A kit should come with the gaskets for the plug galley covers. If it really starts to spew oil in the galleys then it will mess up the coils.

What would that cost me appx, or how many hours of labor is it? Changing the VCG is way beyond my expertise level.

If you can change the COPs its not that much more work to change the VCGs. The hardest part is separating the fuel line on the drivers side. VGCs are about $50-60 but it will probly cost hundreds in labor. Its truly not a hard job, 1/4" socket set with some extentions and a swivel, and a fuel line tool (few dollars) is about all you need

It took me about 4 hours to do it, both sides. I also recommend getting some gasket sealer to spread in the slot that the gasket goes in to hold in place while re-installing. I didn't the first try and half of it came off and it was not a good time.

there are a couple threads with detailed instructions and tools lists, I believe I put them in my sticky for easy finding

I don't really have any solid numbers as far as price to replace the VCGs goes because mine were done under warranty and they didn't give me a breakdown on the costs for what they did but the service manager did tell me that the warranty stuff added up to almost $800. They did the VCGs, 6 plugs, 2 coils and 2 boots. Judging by what they charged me for the other 2 plugs and hearing what coils cost at a dealership, I would say the VCGs and labor was probably in the $550 to $600 range. I would most likely attempt to change on my own knowing that.

just the VC R&R was quoted at 450 (P&L) for me... it just depends what you think you can handle / afford.

just the VC R&R was quoted at 450 (P&L) for me... it just depends what you think you can handle / afford.

I'll still help you do yours like we talked about of you are still interested. Let me know when you're ready. I can do them in about 2hrs

I'll still help you do yours like we talked about of you are still interested. Let me know when you're ready. I can do them in about 2hrs

Yep, Still planning on it! I'm chasing down a rattle right now! somewhere it the back end i think, but well see... I'll be ordering VCG, Coils and Plugs soon... I'll hit you up and see when u got available :D...

I suppose someone could post a link to a good set of VCG with rings since Maxx is gone... for the OP of course :shifty:

OK, thanks for the info, guys.

For those interested, I only had time to change the RH side plugs before going to work this morning, but I did experiment and reinstall the RH coils to the LH side, so I had:
RH: new coils, new plugs
LH: old coils from RH side, old plugs

Car runs great! Totally smooth. Bad coil(s) must have been on the LH side.
I'll finish putting in the new coils&plugs on the LH side tomorrow, and I guess keep these four old RH coils around as backups since they seem to be good still.

Thanks LVC for saving me time and money :D

False alarm, lol, turns out that wasn't oil at all (yay) just some dust and crud that had collected. Some shots of compressed air and vacuuming cleared it out. I put some new sealant on the coil cover plate to help prevent that in the future.

One of the LH plugs had some serious corrosion... I guess that was the misfiring cylinder? :confused:

rps20120512_180231_683.jpg

Looks like that one was getting some water in. I would expect it to be #4 or #8.

Members online

Back